Author Topic: FITZER- Parish Records Look Up Please  (Read 5220 times)

Offline samimant

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: FITZER- Parish Records Look Up Please
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 03 October 17 19:01 BST (UK) »
Jim1 - I seem to have made some progress and it appears that my Fitzers may originally have been from Worcester too. There's a link with Anthony Fitzer to Astley what's confusing though is that he appears to be the only one in the family who's surname is Fitzer it's Fitzer alias Anthonis and his other siblings and father are Anthonis. Within the Astley records there are various spellings of Fitzer and Anthonis and there a number of "Anthonis als Fitzer" and "Fitzer als Anthonis".
I am trying to find out why the alias is used. Sometimes it was when a mother married for a 2nd time  the child wished to maintain it's link with his father. This is not the case here as his parents are the same as his siblings. Another reason is where there is land ownership and they wish to maintain the rights to that land. If this is the case it's strange that his father is Anthonis. I need to do some more digging and check FindMyPast when I can get access to it, as can't seem to find anything on Ancestry. It at a glance appears that his paternal Grandfather was Thomas Fitzer als Anthonis, so the Fitzer first again, however this was just a record I found via a google search. I am wondering if any of your relatives may also be using an alias.

Offline jim1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ain't life grand
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 03 October 17 19:58 BST (UK) »
They were only ever Fitzer as far as I'm aware but I can only trace the family back to 1806 in Alfrick Worcs.
Warks:Ashford;Cadby;Clarke;Clifford;Cooke Copage;Easthope;
Edmonds;Felton;Colledge;Lutwyche;Mander(s);May;Poole;Withers.
Staffs.Edmonds;Addison;Duffield;Webb;Fisher;Archer
Salop:Easthope,Eddowes,Hoorde,Oteley,Vernon,Talbot,De Neville.
Notts.Clarke;Redfearne;Treece.
Som.May;Perriman;Cox
India Kane;Felton;Cadby
London.Haysom.
Lancs.Gay.
Worcs.Coley;Mander;Sawyer.
Kings of Wessex & Scotland
Census information is Crown copyright,from
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/

Offline samimant

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 03 October 17 20:51 BST (UK) »
Hi Jim my Anthony Fitzer als Anthonis was baptised in 1734 (Shrawley) and the shrawley records go back to 1585 with variations of Fitzers such as Fidsoll, Fitsdoll, Fissher, Fidsall, Fittzer, Vizer. I have just checked TheAA and Alfrick and Shrawley are 12.5 miles apart and Astley another village with Fitzers and Anthonis is 13.1 miles. So really not much in it.
I have also found the following record that shows that someone from Alrick married someone from Shrawley so seems that it's very likely if I have traced my Anthony back to Worcestershire that we are related. http://www.shrawley.org.uk/uploads/2/3/1/1/23114340/marriages.pdf