Author Topic: crofton family sligo  (Read 6250 times)

Offline johnshaw

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
crofton family sligo
« on: Wednesday 03 August 05 13:42 BST (UK) »
my maternal grandmother was Mary Ann Crofton who married Bartholemew Morrisroe around 1861 in Sligo near to Templevanney/Brougher.  I have found the Morrisroes and made contact with visits, they are still in Brougher on the original land but now known as Lynch.

The Crofton name appears in Sheffield along with the Morrisroe names in the 1881 Sheffield census (I know that Bartly Morrisroe and his sons and daughter (my grandmother Eliza Morrisroe) were in Sheffield, Bartly returning to Brougher in about 1891, he appears with his wife Mary Ann (Crofton) in the 1901 census.  Is the family of Crofton still in the area around Templevanney/Brougher area, I would like to investigate this part of my family history

Offline shirlee

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: crofton family sligo
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 04 May 06 15:42 BST (UK) »
HI
THERE IS A LORD AND LADY CROFTON IN AROUND THE SLIGO AREA. I THINK THE 'BIG HOUSE' IS CALLED LONGFORD HOUSE. TRY SEARCHING FOR 'BIG HOUSES IN IRELAND'. THEY MIGHT HAVE SOLD IT A FEW MONTHS AGO(I THINK IT WAS UP FOR SALE).

IF YOU THINK IT MIGHT BE THAT FAMILY I CAN GET MORE INFO. (LORD CROFTON REMARRIED AND HAS AT LEAST ONE STEP CHILD)

SHIRLEE

Offline Gozer

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 19 May 06 23:09 BST (UK) »
Hi:
My surname is Crofton and my family was originally  from the Templevanney area of Sligo.No family living in that area now but I may be able to help you.
regards.

Offline GraftonRose

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 10 January 07 01:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I am also related to the Crofton familyof Sligo. Have quite a bit on the line if you would like it. The family comes down through John Crofton who born 19 May 1540. He was the Escheater to the Queen of Ireland.

Roseanna (*)

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the PM system for exchanging personal data.

My Email address is no longer working sorry
All below in Australia and overseas.<br />TAYLOR......Bromsgrove..Worcestershire<br />WHEELER.....Bromsgrove, Worcestershire<br />MANSELL......Worcestershire<br />RADFORD....Worcestershire<br />PAUL..........West Monkton..Somerset<br />UNDERWOOD...England<br />PERRY.....West Monkton..Somerset<br />McKenzie......Raasay..Isle of Skye<br />McLeod.....Raasay....Isle of Skye<br />BOXSHALL...Dorking...Surrey<br

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 06 May 07 18:56 BST (UK) »
Would there be a connection with a family of the same name in Roscommon ??? I've been looking through the NI Libraries Catalogue and noticed the following item ...

"Tracing the roots of the landed gentry...... The Croftons of Roscommon."  It's an article by Niamh Brennan which appeared in the "Journal of the Irish Society for Archives" : Vol.6 no.1. 1999

Offline derrygolagh

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re - crofton family sligo.
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 16 July 11 14:23 BST (UK) »
 ;D

Hi, johnshaw I am new to this and only did my first posting yesterday but on reading them last night I came across your posting of the 3rd August 2005 and very much hope that you still use Sligo Roots Chat because I am very excited to find that our postings tie together and that we are related through marriage.

This also ties in with crofton who posted on 25th June 2009 with brilliant info. and who is also related to me by marriage in the same link and I hope that he/she still uses this service.  If so please both of you do please respond on roots chat.

Please see my posting of yesterday.

Bartholomew Morrisroe who married Mary Ann Crofton was my great grandmother's brother.  My great grandmother was Sarah Morrisroe and she married Michael McDonagh (1831) and they lived in Derrygolagh.

Hope to see your postings.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 16 July 11 15:21 BST (UK) »
I've merged your post with the existing thread but johnshaw hasn't been online since Nov. 2005.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline derrygolagh

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 16 July 11 15:47 BST (UK) »
 :'(

Thank you for that information aghadowey, but what a shame, because I have worked out that his grandmother Eliza Morrisroe and my grandfather John Patrick McDonagh were cousins and I was looking forward to posting that info. so he could see it.

Don't suppose there is any way of contacting him now?

Regards.
Derrygolagh

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 16 July 11 15:55 BST (UK) »
If you click on the little green scroll under his name you'll be able to send a PM (Personal Message). If he's not getting notifications from Rootschat then he won't know you've sent a message but it's worth a try.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!