Author Topic: Grace KEAST  (Read 11932 times)

Offline finnisfinder

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Grace KEAST
« on: Saturday 16 July 11 19:39 BST (UK) »
 I am stuck on baptism of Grace Keast possibly St Cleer who married Richard Sibly 1699 at St Cleer.

Can anyone help with this please?
Areas: East Kent, Norfolk, Cornwall, Lincolnshire, Sussex, London area.
Australia, Canada

Offline fizzybubble

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Grace KEAST
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 19 July 11 08:49 BST (UK) »
Grace Keast bap 1660 to Joseph in St Neot, which is sort of "next door" to St Cleer.

Fizzy
Cornwall - Mutton Brown Trevethan Mugford Higham
Yorkshire - Thirlwall

Offline Phil - keastconnect

• RootsChat Extra
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 19 July 11 11:24 BST (UK) »
Hi Finnisfinder,

The best match that I can find is the Grace christened in Lewannick in 1679 - but the names of her parents are not recorded.

There were 2 other christenings in the same church around this time for a Thomas (1672) & Henry (1674) Keast who are probably siblings to Grace - but again, the parents are not recorded.

John Keist & Margaret Mildren who married in South Petherwin in 1666 would seem likely suspects - but I think that they are the parents of Margery (1667) & Mary (1672) who were christened in Trewen.

As it would appear that Richard & Grace were still producing children as late as 1711, I would hesitate at taking the one from St Neot as that would make her over 50 at the time of the last birth.

Having just used the batch number (P002151) to look at the christenings for Lewannick, I have checked a few for around the same time period and they would appear to show both parents - so it may well be that the 3 children above were all illegitimate.

All of which unfortunately does not take you any further forward!

Cheers,

Phil
keastconnect

Offline finnisfinder

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 19 July 11 16:59 BST (UK) »

Thanks to both of you. I had thought the St Neot one wasn't likely.

But..... went onto Cornwall OPC this morning, just entered the surname, a wide date range and left the parish box empty

Then the following came up Grace Keast baptised 9th April 1676 Landrake, father Richard. There were 5 siblings two of whom had
 mother as Margery.

Seems as if this could be the one. What do you think Phil?

Maggie

Australia, Canada

Offline fizzybubble

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 19 July 11 17:24 BST (UK) »
Landrake 1705 Grace Keast married, so that's why I dismissed her.

Fizzy
Yorkshire - Thirlwall

Offline Phil - keastconnect

• RootsChat Extra
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 19 July 11 17:39 BST (UK) »
Hi Maggie,

As ever with these things, it is important to try to rule somebody out - be it that they died in infancy or married somebody else.

In this case, there is a marriage in Landrake in 1705 between a Grace Keast & John Couch - and I see no other contenders for the bride.

It may be that there are still baptisms to be transcribed and uploaded or that the relevant record is no longer in existence or in a legible condition - all sorts of things could have happened in the last 300+ years!

For all we know, Grace was illegitimate and her mother could not afford to have her christened.

I know that this is frustrating - but there has to be a point where you cannot trace a line any further!

All you can do is put this one on the back burner and hope that something comes to light that helps you.

Cheers,

Phil

Offline finnisfinder

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 20 July 11 09:35 BST (UK) »

Hello, yes also saw Grace Keast married at Landrake in 1705. As you say Phil, put it to one side, something sooner or later turns up.

There is the marriage at St Cleer in 1699 of Grace and Richard Sybly. Found this transcribed on Cornwall OPC. Someone I do this side of the family with goes to LDS in London and goes through the films there. So that's how he came up with the marriage.

Anyway thanks for your help.

Maggie.
Australia, Canada

Offline JaneyCanuck

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • The Famous Five take tea on Parliament Hill
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 01 August 12 22:57 BST (UK) »
Just adding to this, belatedly, to say hello!

I descend from Samuel Sibly 1734 St Cleer -- him who was the parish clerk, I believe, and "a worthy man", as his burial entry tells us. BMDs in the blood! (And I'm sure Sam would be rolling over in his grave if he saw the dozens of trees at Anc'y and elsewhere that have him fathering a son in Tennessee in 1775. Those Anc'y hints ... aren't they great.)

Samuel 1734 was the son of Thomas Sibly and Mary. This would make them Thomas Sibly and Mary Sibly (so it says) who married 1731, I presume. I have not done a lot of poking around in this line, as it is well researched by a lot of people. Also, the online parish clerk for St Cleer is terrific, and I've written to tell him so! Oh, hold on, it has a new one -- but I'll bet she's terrific too. ;) The links here
http://www.cornwall-opc.org/Par_new/parishes.php/
are not working for me, so I can't tell what's there now.

I believe my Thomas Sibly is the son of Samuell and Mary, born 1713, rather than of your Thomas Sybly son of Richard and Grace, born 1703.

So my Samuell would be born 1672, son of Thomas.
If your Richard was born 1668, son of Thomas (plus there was eldest child Thomas 1665), I'm betting they were brothers.

Hard to tell, when an entire clan over a couple of centuries only has three names among them ... !

But one way or another -- howdy, cuz! from this branch of the family in Canada.  :)

HILL, HOARE, BOND, SIBLY, Cornwall (Devon); DENNIS, PAGE, WHITBREAD, Essex; BARNARD, CASTLE, PONTON, Wiltshire; SANKEY, HORNE, YOUNG, Kent; COWDELL, Bermondsey; COOPER, SMITH, FALLOWELL, WILLEY, Notts; CAMPION, CARTER, CRADDOCK, KENNY, Northants; LITTLER, CORNER, Leicestershire; RUSHLAND, Lincolnshire; MORRISON, Ireland; COLLINS, ?; ... MONCK?

Offline fizzybubble

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 01 August 12 23:28 BST (UK) »
Hello,

Yes I am the new OPC for St Cleer.

Donald sadly died last year and I took over the reins as I am already OPC for Menheniot. Donald worked very hard to put the St Cleer records online.

The  non-conformist records have now been added too.

Dont know why the link shouldnt be working as I am here ready, able and willing to help.

Fizzy
Yorkshire - Thirlwall