Author Topic: Grace KEAST  (Read 11842 times)

Offline JaneyCanuck

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • The Famous Five take tea on Parliament Hill
    • View Profile
Re: Grace KEAST
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 02 August 12 00:07 BST (UK) »
Oh, pleased to meet you indeed! I saw your email address there and was thinking of dropping you a line.

I was just looking back through old emails and saw where someone who had helped me out with a Devon parish record, and we then got chatting, informed me that one of my Siblys was witness to one of her Muttons' marriages. Well of course he was; he was the parish clerk. ;)

The thing with the links -- on the parish index page:

http://www.cornwall-opc.org/Par_new/parishes.php

you click on St Cleer, and the link is this:

http://www.cornwall-opc.org/Par_new/a_d/cleer_st.php

... oh well! Now it works. ;) Earlier, all of the parish links were just sending me back to the top of the parish list.

And Don's former site:

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~cricket5/

Terrific, it's all there as it was.

I'm very sorry to hear of Donald's death, and especially glad now that I did write him when I did, to thank him for all the work he had done. He didn't even have a personal connection with the parish, as he explained to me.

Never put off until tomorrow!

.......... Oh for heaven's sake! I just checked that email address at the St Cleer page, which is different from the one I saw earlier somewhere -- you are you! From the Devon FHS board. How lovely to see you again, with your Mutton ancestors who mixed it up with my Sibly ancestors. We need a wavey-hello smileface here!

Listen, somebody seems to have hijacked that email account -- I've been getting weird spam from it, coincidentally just this week. I guess because I'm in your address book from back in 2007 -- remember the Hills of Tamerton Foliot at all, and the mining lease you found for me at A2A, and the probable 1817 marriage you gave me that I can't get past? You are the source of my brick wall.  ;D

You know me by a different name, ssh. I'll PM you if I'm not ringing the bell here.
HILL, HOARE, BOND, SIBLY, Cornwall (Devon); DENNIS, PAGE, WHITBREAD, Essex; BARNARD, CASTLE, PONTON, Wiltshire; SANKEY, HORNE, YOUNG, Kent; COWDELL, Bermondsey; COOPER, SMITH, FALLOWELL, WILLEY, Notts; CAMPION, CARTER, CRADDOCK, KENNY, Northants; LITTLER, CORNER, Leicestershire; RUSHLAND, Lincolnshire; MORRISON, Ireland; COLLINS, ?; ... MONCK?

Offline fizzybubble

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 02 August 12 01:09 BST (UK) »
Its yahoo that is at fault not me !!

I went through my address book and deleted all my family history contacts, so I probably deleted you with those.

Still here I am if you want me.

Fizzy

PS Do you have any queries that you wanted me to look at.
Cornwall - Mutton Brown Trevethan Mugford Higham
Yorkshire - Thirlwall

Offline JaneyCanuck

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 02 August 12 01:20 BST (UK) »
I'm just playing with those Hills now ... having found the marriage at the COPC site with more details ...

I was looking at this page, as we're speaking of Siblys:

http://www.cornwall-opc.org/Records/parishes/A-D/cleer_st_census.php

It's a listing of people from St Cleer and where they are in the 1841 census? I can contribute where my last Sibly ancestor was in the 1841 and 1851 (under her married name) -- should I send you that? PM me!
HILL, HOARE, BOND, SIBLY, Cornwall (Devon); DENNIS, PAGE, WHITBREAD, Essex; BARNARD, CASTLE, PONTON, Wiltshire; SANKEY, HORNE, YOUNG, Kent; COWDELL, Bermondsey; COOPER, SMITH, FALLOWELL, WILLEY, Notts; CAMPION, CARTER, CRADDOCK, KENNY, Northants; LITTLER, CORNER, Leicestershire; RUSHLAND, Lincolnshire; MORRISON, Ireland; COLLINS, ?; ... MONCK?

Offline fizzybubble

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 02 August 12 01:39 BST (UK) »
Even if someone has "done" all the Siblys they might have been done very badly and then on family trees people tend to copy - mistakes and all.

SO I always start afresh. Give me the Sibley you have on the 1841 and 1851 census and we will take off from there.

Fizzy
Yorkshire - Thirlwall

Offline JaneyCanuck

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 02 August 12 02:13 BST (UK) »
Well! Alrighty then. Since they're all related, I guess we can go ahead and use finnisfinder's thread, so anybody in future sees both of us here.

Sarah Sibly, daughter of Samuel and Elizabeth, baptised 05 Apr 1784
http://www.cornwall-opc-database.org/search-database/more-info/?t=baptisms&id=335512

Aha, there's your first question. I think he married two Elizabeths.
KINGDON in 1761
http://www.cornwall-opc-database.org/search-database/more-info/?t=marriages&id=675467
COUMBE (various spellings of course) in 1768
http://www.cornwall-opc-database.org/search-database/more-info/?t=marriages&id=675514
and I believe there is indeed some muddling of that.

There's no intervening Elizabeth Sibly burial at the COPC site. So ... do you feel like untangling that web? Which Elizabeth do I descend from?

I feel foolish asking for somebody else to do such things. It's what I do, you recall! (Did you get my email just now?) But an OPC must be kept busy and keep those skills honed. ;)

Do you want to work out how finnisfinder and I are related??
(Oops, it's finnisfinder's spouse, I think.)

For the census page,
http://www.cornwall-opc.org/Records/parishes/A-D/cleer_st_census.php
it's Sarah Sibly daughter of Samuel whose info I can provide.

She married Jacob Bond who was baptised in St Stephens by Saltash 06 Jan 1773, parents Thomas and Elizabeth (it's at familysearch).
(edit - found him at the COPC, where he's called BIND. Can that be corrected?)
Marriage of Jacob and Sarah 02 Dec 1803, St Cleer
http://www.cornwall-opc-database.org/search-database/more-info/?t=marriages&id=675734

So in 1841 she is:

Sarah Bond
Age 53 / c1788
Franks Quarry?
Maker, reg dist St Germans, sub-reg dist Antony
- called Devon in that year, so she is shown as not born in county

And in 1851 she is

Sarah Bond (transcribed as Bonds by Anc'y)
Age 66 / c1785
born (transcribed as) St Clears, Cornwall
27? Fore Street
Antony, reg dist St Germans, sub-reg dist Antony
(Her son is next door, but none of her children were born in St Cleer)

So she is my last Sibly person, and my last St Cleer person! And there are no Siblys on that COPC census info page (unless, like her, they are married/descended from, and have a different surname), and I'd be pleased to add her.

Offline fizzybubble

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 03 August 12 15:24 BST (UK) »
I have had a fiddle with this and I think the two Samuel marriages are two different Samuels.

Several thoughts on that. As you say no burial for Elizabeth or daughter Mary.

That Mary seems to go on and marry a Samuel Kingdon - possibly a cousin as Elizabeth was a Kingdon prior to marriage.

I would the hazard a guess that they were Samuel and Elizabeth buried 1788 St Cleer.

YOUR Samuel and Elizabeth had eight children including Sarah. In 1841 brother Richard is at Tremar St Cleer and brother Samuel is in Plymouth, Devon.

Fizzy

Yorkshire - Thirlwall

Offline finnisfinder

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 03 August 12 20:59 BST (UK) »

Yes, my husband's descended from Richard Sibly! I'm trying to sort them all out, with difficulty.

Going back a bit, can you tell me which Samuel married Joan Borrow 13th Feb 1726 at St Cleer? Was he born 1705 s/o Thomas and Peternel. Also was he b/o Elizabeth who married Henry Borrow?

I'm using records from Don's site which are very clear but I'm stuck in the early 1700s so please, any ideas!

Please carry on using this thread so I can catch up with you both sooner or later.

Also have a Mutton marrying a William Hambly, not going there at the moment.
Areas: East Kent, Norfolk, Cornwall, Lincolnshire, Sussex, London area.
Australia, Canada

Offline JaneyCanuck

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 03 August 12 21:36 BST (UK) »
I would the hazard a guess that they were Samuel and Elizabrth buried 1788 St Cleer.

And my Sarah Sibly would have been not yet even 3 yrs old when her mother died, and her father the next year. This matches up -- she was the youngest with those parents, Samuel and Elizabeth:

Elizabeth died Sep 1786
Samuel died Sep 1787

-- and those dates match up with him being the parish clerk I've assumed was him -- the last marriage he witnessed was in Aug 1787. It was the marriage of, I kid you not:

William KINGDON and Mary CONGDON.

Today, they could hyphenate their surnames ...

I think these Siblys call for a wall-sized chart to try to sort them out ...

Offline fizzybubble

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 03 August 12 21:59 BST (UK) »
No Janey your Samuel and Elizabeth died later.

I will let you know the dates later.

The 1788 ones were samuel sibley and Elizabeth kingdon.

Fizzy
Yorkshire - Thirlwall