Author Topic: Rev Morgan Morgan, Ely, Bwlch Trewyn, Lewis (USA)  (Read 12734 times)

Offline Pythos

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Rev Morgan Morgan, Ely, Bwlch Trewyn, Lewis (USA)
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 17 July 11 20:07 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the extra info. I must appologise for not getting back to you sooner but I can't get back home before 7pm at any time or any day.
Thanks for all your help.
Maybe I should research more on the Lewis side.
I have written to the Brynhonddu Country House to enquire whether or not they still have any contact with the people who donated the photograph.
Again, many thanks

Offline David Gam

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 15 August 11 20:51 BST (UK) »
Rev Morgan Morgan owned Bwlch House which he had purchased from the Trewyn estate c1790. He transferred the estate to his elder daughter Maria Morgan shortly before she married Rev Anthony Ely from Gloucestershire. They were the parents of Rev Edwin Ely.

Morgan Morgan's younger daughter Tirzah married Rev Peter Jones Lewis and they lived at Bwlch House for almost twenty years between 1828 and 1848. They had thirteen children in total several of whom are buried at Cwmyoy. In 1854 all the surviving members of the family emigrated to Canada, except one son, Henry Lewis, who had joined the merchant navy.

All Morgan Morgan sons who survived to adulthood were ordained into the Church of England and obtained livings in various parts of England and Wales.
Carmarthenshire, Breconshire, Gwent, Herefordshire: Lewis, Morgan, Jones, Francis, Beavan, Colley, Parlor.

Offline softieh

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 19 August 11 19:36 BST (UK) »
Hi Pythos,

I have sent you a PM regarding Maria Marshall Silvester, who married Edwyn Ely.

Sophie
Rae-Worcestershire
Powell-Warwickshire
Grainger-Berkshire
Garnett-Lancashire
Cadman-Middlesex

Offline Bwlch Ely

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 22 September 13 12:35 BST (UK) »
Hello Pythos
I am the great grandson of William Anthony Sylvester Ely of Bwlch Trewyn and we have a large number of photographs also the original oil portraits of Morgan Morgan, Edwin Anthony Ely, W.A.S.Ely and others also other documents etc.

Regards
Peter

Offline David Gam

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 25 September 13 11:22 BST (UK) »
Hello Peter,

I am the great-great-great grandson of Morgan Morgan, descended through his son-in-law Peter Jones Lewis, which I think makes us 4th cousins once removed. My cousins in America supplied the photo on the Brynhonddu web-site. Are you descended from Lillian or Trevor Ely? I live in England and would be particularly interested to see the Morgan Morgan portrait.

Regards,

David Gam
Carmarthenshire, Breconshire, Gwent, Herefordshire: Lewis, Morgan, Jones, Francis, Beavan, Colley, Parlor.

Offline elainenz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 22 June 14 02:38 BST (UK) »
Hello David Gam,

I am related to Henry Lewis b. 1831  who married Grace Warren Perry 14th February 1856 in Liverpool through my g.g.grandfather John Richard Perry who was Grace's brother.

Looking at the Brynhonddu website, it said their son John Richard Perry Lewis was born 13th March 1856, but this is incorrect, he was born 13th March 1868 - I have his birth certificate.
On the website they say Henry Lewis was given command of the ship "Robin Hood" on 16th June 1871 and sailed from Deal, Kent to Batavia (Jakarta) on 23rd June 1871. He never returned and was reported missing on 27th October 1872. The ship was 'presumed to have gone down with all hands'.

On the Perry family headstone at Toxteth Park, Liverpool, Henry Lewis is commemorated "Captain Henry Lewis - Son-in-Law of the above - Master of the Ship "Robin Hood" lost at sea 1872.  Also, Grace W. Lewis widow of the above Capt. Henry Lewis entered into rest August 21st 1924 aged 87 years." "She hath done what she could".

Can anyone tell me where I could find the records of Henry Lewis being given command of the "Robin Hood" 16th June 1871, the sailing of the ship from Deal 23rd June 1871 and also the records of when the ship was declared missing 27th October 1872.
Any help would be really appreciated.

With thanks, Elaine

Offline bobfilm

• RootsChat Senior
  • Early Photographers and Silent Film Makers.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 01 April 15 15:44 BST (UK) »
On the back of a photograph of a man of about 50yrs is written; Wife Katharine Ely Dec? 1880. The photographers card is W M Gillard Clarence st, Gloucester, award 1879.

I am researching Essex Photographers. Trying to find out when H W Watson took over William Gillard's photographic studio - The Studio, Clarence Street, Glouchester. As far as I can see William Gillard had two studios, the other being at 2 King Street. He's in Cheltenham, Gloucestershire from abt 1871, living at King Street in 1881 and died in  1889 at Weston-super-Mare, Somerset.
Can find no reference to Mr. Watson as a photographer?
Grateful for any assistance
Bobfilm  :)
Researching East London & Essex Early Photographers and Silent Film Makers and Studios in Waltham Forest.

Offline Tyrne Clark

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 16 April 16 09:02 BST (UK) »
Hello people
My name is Tyrne Lewis Clark and can be found by name on facebook
I am a descendant of Peter Jones Lewis and Tirzah Morgan
so as you are a source for information I can not reach
I am a source of information that is hard for you to obtain

Take care

Offline Colleen22

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 30 May 22 01:24 BST (UK) »
Hello All,
I'm the Great Great Grandaughter of Frederick Octavius Lewis, Peter and Tirzah's son.
I'm very interested is viewing any photos or paintings that one might have.
All the Best,
Colleen