Author Topic: Help with occupations please - Completed  (Read 3703 times)

Offline annemac51

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Help with occupations please
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 19 July 11 18:40 BST (UK) »
Wow :o thanks for all that. It's going to take a bit of unravelling & some more credits on the sp account I think. It will give me a break from the elusive Davis's.
Cheers
Anne
Gillespie - Glasgow, Slamannan, Larbert, Stirlingshire
McAra - Glasgow, Perthshire
Macpherson/McPherson - Glasgow, Craignish, Glassary, Argyllshire
Love - Glasgow
Fraser - Glasgow, Belfast, Ireland
Dundas - Sweeney/Sweenie - Parkhill - Ireland
Davis/Davies - Glasgow & Lancashire
Kendall/Kendal - Lancashire
Chorley - Lancashire

Offline annemac51

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Help with occupations please
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 20 July 11 22:22 BST (UK) »
Well I looked up Agnes's birth & she was born, Agnes Campbell Wardrop in 1877 at Bridgeton Glasgow. Mother registered birth & signed M Wardrop. Quality of copy is dreadful so I've emailed sp as I can barely make out dates & home address.
Next, Marriage of Colin & Mary. He signed as Colin-Campbell Wardrop with a hyphen. Mother is Janet Wardrop, bonnet knitter but no father details. Marriage was in Bridgeton Glasgow.
Next step is to look up all those census returns now and add siblings etc.
I would never have thought of turning the names around so thanks for that.
It's taking me off into another branch & the tree is getting bigger all the time but unless I can find the Davis branch it's going to be a bit lopsided!

Cheers

Anne
Love - Glasgow
Chorley - Lancashire

Offline colw50

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Help with occupations please - Completed
« Reply #11 on: Monday 13 March 17 03:49 GMT (UK) »
Interested to see your request for info Colin Campbell Wardrop,  born 1857, he was my Great grandfather, yes on his Marriage Certificate  1877 to Mary McTear it says  MASON (journeyman). Are you descended from one of his Children ? my grandfather was the oldest son born in 1878 in Bridgeton Glasgow, also Colin Campbell Wardrop they lived on Queen Mary St, Bridgeton. I think they had many children, so my grandfather had lots of younger brothers and sisters.

Offline annemac51

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 14 March 17 15:38 GMT (UK) »
My 1st husband is the descendant. His GG Grandmother was Agnes Campbell Wardrop so a younger sister of your G Grandfather. I have found 10 children but have only verified the one in our family. She married Henry Davis in 1901 but further research (a lot of further research) has shown him to actually be Henry Kendall born in Lancaster. They had 4 children, 3 of whom I can find no trace in Scotland after the 1911 census. Very frustrating & to be honest, I haven't worked on this section of the family for a while. Maybe it's time I had another look. If you wouldn't mind sharing your relative's dob & death, if you know it, that would be great. Thanks
Love - Glasgow
Chorley - Lancashire

Offline colw50

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 15 March 17 03:05 GMT (UK) »
Yes Agnes was the Second child and Oldest daughter,  My Grandfather left home at an early age to Join the Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders, with his best friend Duncan Mcgillvaray. Duncan's medals are on display in Stirling Castle. We are not sure when that was My Cousin says 1892 ? but i think a little later...  He signed up as Colin Campbell (formerly Wardrop) and used the Campbell name after that. My Mother was Marion Campbell, born 1913 at Johnstone Scotland. He was at Johnstone Barracks at that time. There were 4 children, the Oldest Colin was born in India 1906, then Christina born in East Africa1908, then my mother then Dorothy also born in Johnstone.
Yes, i remember there were 10 Children, from Colin Campbell Wardrop and Mary Mctear but now i can can only find 9 names, hmm must have been one after Arthur?? I have a lot of copies of certificates on a crashed laptop i am  trying to recover. he was a primer of war for a time in 1915 in Belgium. After leaving the Army he lived on Colquhoun St in Dumbarton, and worked for Dumbarton county Council until his death in 1948.
The Wardrop name is interesting,,,, My cousin insists that Colin Campbell Wardrop was Born WARDROPE.... I Know she is wrong , but many Wardrop names became WARDROBE OR WARDROPE..
on Census and birth death and Marriage certificates. The way the P was often written with a tail led to this, and also to the name Wardrobe...hahah as the P was written with a top dash and often looked like a b and e.
Janet Wardrop, I have all her info on my crashed computer, and i can't remember her mothers maiden name, it was a typical Ayrshire name, or her fathers first, she gave birth to Colin Campbell Wardrop, and NO Father listed on the birth certificate, Janet was 12 years old when she gave birth to him, also Stewarton Ayr. Also no Father listed on Colin Campbell Wardrop Marriage certificate as you know.
The CAMPBELL  in the Campbell Wardrop came from JAMES LYLE WARDROP of Stewarton Ayr, born 1796 who Married Catherine Campbell born 1799, the sister of SIR Colin Campbell, I have heard that when James Lyle died, 3 of the 7 children were taken and raised by Sir Colin, but not sure.
Also not sure why... Janet Wardrop named her child Colin CAMPBELL Wardrop... was she a Neice of James Lyle Wardrop .. and Catherine Campbell?? or some other Reason..??
My cousin Christine, Daughter of Christina Campbell, will go to a Regimental dinner A&S at Balloch , she is not sure why she was invited, but she will find out Wednesday..
not sure about posting all this INFO on this site.. and not in a private Email..
My Name is COLIN.

Okay sorry i have t

Offline colw50

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 15 March 17 03:12 GMT (UK) »
OOPS Sorry..
I Have to say that our Parents knew nothing of the Wardrop name, and just knew themselves as Campbells.. so  surprise when we found out that the name was  WARDROP and we searched back from there.

Offline annemac51

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 15 March 17 22:27 GMT (UK) »
The spelling of the name on certificates has a lot to do with how literate the person filling in the registration form was, it certainly looks like it has an E at the end on the birth certificate copy I have for Colin in 1857 although I have still to verify that this is the same person. He is registered with no middle name & illegitimate although the Mother's name & occupation match. I plan to visit Edinburgh next month to spend the day at the records office so hoping to clear some of this up then.  Interestingly, Agnes changed her name about and became Agnes Wardrop Campbell on her son Colin's birth certificate. He was born in 1901, Colin Campbell Davis and his son, born in 1931 was also Colin Campbell Davis so there is certainly a family tradition there.
If you have anything else to ask or pass on & feel more comfortable with PM, that's fine.
Anne
Love - Glasgow
Chorley - Lancashire

Offline colw50

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 16 March 17 03:08 GMT (UK) »
Well it's really amazing to come across a descendant of Agnes. If I can get my old laptop going this weekend, I can see all the Wardrop lineage again. Otherwise I will search it all again.  Do you know if Arthur was the last child? Arthur 1898? was 20 years younger than Colin 1878 and 18 younger than Agnes ... I think. 
I wonder if Janet born about 1845 was a granddaughter of James Lyle Wardrop? I have to check that out too.
On some on the census listings the same family same address would change from Wardrop to Wardope and later back again with no E..
It's all fascinating for sure.
Thanks,
Colin

Offline Margaret Wilson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 03 August 18 08:21 BST (UK) »
Hi

My Husband's Great Grandfather was Colin Wardrop (b.1857), but his Great Grandmother was Mary Dempster Cochran. They were married in 1888 after the death of his first wife Mary McTear (McTier) in 1887. I believe he had 4 children to Mary McTear and 5 children to Mary Dempster Cochran.

Regards
Margaret