Author Topic: Humphreys Family of Dollgelly,Wales  (Read 5021 times)

Offline Royleen

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Humphreys Family of Dollgelly,Wales
« on: Sunday 17 July 11 11:18 BST (UK) »
I am trying to find the family of my GR GR GR Grandfather, John Humphreys, who was born in Dollgelly in about 1781, and who had a sister Elizabeth born in about 1795.
John Married Mary Unknown and had children Anne in about 1811 Hugh in about 1816, Sarah and Catherine both born circa 1826, Benjamin in 1832 and Jane in about 1834.
The 1841 census tells me that John was a currier, as was his son Hugh. In about 1845 Hugh was transported to Norfolk Island for stabbing a policeman. He was later transferred to Tasmania, where he remained until he died. I am hoping to find s family connection.

Offline Br1gau

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Humphreys Family of Dollgelly,Wales
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 15 January 12 20:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi Royleen,

Yours is quite an old post, so you may already have this record:

http://www.convictrecords.com.au/convicts/humphries/john/23170

I'm sorry, I misread, your post.  As you said, it was Hugh who was transported, not his father, John.

Regards,

brigyn

Offline dcbnwh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 16 January 12 10:20 GMT (UK) »
I am not sure if this is new but you mention that Hugh was transported in "about 1845"

There is an exact date on Ancestry - Convicted at Montgomery Assizes (Welshpool) on 8th March 1845 and transported on 27th August. Also other records and some family trees but nothing on the family in Dolgellau.

From the 1851 census, Hugh's mother was born in Llanbrynmair, Montgomeryshire. It could be that the marriage took place there or in Machynlleth.

I had some Humphreys relatives in the area but much earlier and can't see any links. I will probably be looking at Dolgellau records when I visit Wales in the summer. If I remember (no guarantees) I will try and find the baptisms for John and sister, Elizabeth.

Regards,
David

Offline Br1gau

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 16 January 12 13:08 GMT (UK) »
As you say, David, Machynlleth / Llanbrynmair is the better bet for John & Mary's marriage, particularly because at least one of the elder children was born in Mach., with Dolgellau being more likely for John & Elizabeth's births.

The Universal British Directory of Trade, Commerce, and Manufacture 1791. Vol. 2 shows the following Humphreys in Dolgellau under the heading 'traders':

Humphreys John, Web-manufacturer
Humphreys Benj. Web-manufacturer

Hugh Lloyd is the only currier listed

The National Library in Aberystwyth; well worth a visit,  have all the available Welsh OPRs on film.

brigyn

Offline Br1gau

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 16 January 12 16:00 GMT (UK) »
Pigot & Co.'s National Commercial Directory for 1828-9, Machynlleth shows John Humphreys & Ann Humphreys to be in business in Machynlleth.

Slater's Directory of Glos, Herefs, Mon, Shrops & Wales, 1868 shows Evan Humphreys, currier, Machynlleth.

Just snippets because of potential copy-right issues, although I can pass on other pages.

Offline Br1gau

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 16 January 12 17:42 GMT (UK) »
http://www.powys.gov.uk/uploads/media/M_D_HPA_bi.pdf

Documents held by Powys Archives, page 68 of pdf:
M/D/HPA/4/26 Release 15 August 1891, Evan Humphreys & family:

1.   Mary Humphreys of Machynlleth, spinster
2.   Anne, wife of Rhys Lewis of Machynlleth, grocer
3.   Richard Humphreys of 163 Gloucester Rd., Regent’s Park, co.M’sex, vocalist
4.   Humphrey Rees Humphreys of Machynlleth, currier
5.   Elizabeth Humphreys of same, widow

Under will of Evan Humphreys of Machynlleth, currier, 6th July 1876, devising income of real and personal estate to wife (5.). Died 9th March 1886. Probate 19th April 1886.
Schedule of estate.

Evan Humphrey's 1886 probate is listed on ancestry, effects: £1,919. 10. 10d

I do hope this family is still being sought!

Offline Royleen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 17 January 12 13:37 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks for your help, yes this family is definitely being sought, but I am having trouble tying them to my Humphreys from Dolgelly in 1845, though the link must be there.
many many thanks, if there us anything in Australia you would like researched please let me know and I will do my very best to help
Kind regards
Royleen Wolski

Offline Royleen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 17 January 12 14:08 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks to you both for all the research and assistance, I really do appreciate the help Again if there is anything you would like looked up in Australia I would be happy to help
Kind Regards
Royleen