Author Topic: Bedminster Baptisms BROOKS 1800  (Read 7673 times)

Offline Elizlloyd

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Bedminster Baptisms BROOKS 1800
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 08 November 12 18:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi my Great Great Grandfather Henry Brooks born 1826 his parents were Robert Lloyd and Elizabeth Bennet Brooks married 27th March 1826 St Johns Church, Bedminster, Bristol.  at present am obtaining a copy of their marriage record giving details of witnesses at wedding.  I believe that Charles Brooks and Elizabeth (surname unknown) was Elizabeth's Father and Mother.  Am keen to know more about the Brooks family of Bedminster area if anyone can shed any light on this family.  Thanks Karen.
Way, Haydon, Sharland, Frost, Gunn, Searles, Carew, Jones, Gould, Smith, Featherstone, Lloyd,

Offline DRH123

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 09 November 12 20:56 GMT (UK) »
An Elizabeth Bennett Brooks was baptized at Brislington in 1801. Not very likely that there would be two with exactly that name. Her parents were indeed Charles and Elizabeth.

http://www.freereg.org.uk/cgi/SearchResults.pl?RecordType=Baptisms&RecordID=4410184

There's only one Charles Brooks in the index of Bristol Diocese Marriages 1754-1812, and he married an Elizabeth in 1799, so it's very likely that's the right couple.

St. James', Bristol
11.03.1799 BROOKS CHARLES OTP ELIZABETH WILLIAMS OTP B

David

Offline Elizlloyd

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 11 November 12 17:12 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks DRH123  for Elizabeth's parents information and their marriage information which does look like the right parents for Elizabeth Bennett Brooks.  Much appreciated.

Thanks Karen
Way, Haydon, Sharland, Frost, Gunn, Searles, Carew, Jones, Gould, Smith, Featherstone, Lloyd,

Offline Elizlloyd

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 11 November 12 19:25 GMT (UK) »
How can i view the index of Bristol Diocese Marriages 1754-1812 for Charles Brooks and Elizabeth Williams.

Offline DRH123

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 11 November 12 20:53 GMT (UK) »
How can i view the index of Bristol Diocese Marriages 1754-1812 for Charles Brooks and Elizabeth Williams.

The index can be bought on a CD from the Bristol & Avon FHS.

http://www.bafhs.org.uk/bafhs-shop/cdroms

£9 + pp. All marriages in the Bristol diocese for 60 years for much the same cost as a single marriage certificate from the GRO.  Or I see you can now download it for only £7.

However it is only an index, what I quoted is the entire entry for your marriage. Unless it's been transcribed elsewhere you can only see the full record at the Bristol RO, or I expect they would send you a photocopy for a small fee.  In most cases, the only information left out in the index is the names of the witnesses to the wedding. Sometimes they are relatives and give you a valuable clue, sometimes they're the church wardens and no help at all.

David

Offline Elizlloyd

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 22 November 12 15:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi clicked on your link for Elizabeth Bennett Brooks baptisms comes up with a record for someone else.

Offline DRH123

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 22 November 12 17:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Elizabeth Bennett Brooks now seems to be at

http://www.freereg.org.uk/cgi/SearchResults.pl?RecordType=Baptisms&RecordID=4427574

The FreeREG database is recompiled each month to incorporate new material and corrections. Presumably individual records can get new IDs in the process.

(You can search FreeREG yourself, as the name suggests it is completely free.  It is very fussy about the Christian name - it has to match exactly - so it's usually best to leave that blank. Just enter Brooks, Somerset, 1801 and choose baptisms: you'll get half a dozen matches, with Elizabeth as one of them.)

David

Offline FeteFatale

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census, what Census?
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 29 March 15 08:40 BST (UK) »
The baptism record (4 October 1801) for Elizabeth Bennet Brooks (my 3* Great Grandmother) is now at http://www.freereg.org.uk/cgi/SearchResults.pl?RecordType=Baptisms&RecordID=13156500&v=MTQyNzYxMzk3NjozNjU1MjkzNTg0OGZmZmIwMGVlNWQ0NWIwYjY2YTgxNWYyNzA5YjM5

seems like they change their search engine far too often :(
Challenor, Heylands, Humberstone, Huxley, Kirkham, Langridge, Lloyd, Merriott, Oliver, Phoenix, Tiltson, Williamson

Offline Elizlloyd

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 19 February 18 21:03 GMT (UK) »
FeteFatale

Hi keen to connect up with your family line as your Great Great Great Grandmother is Elizabeth Bennett Brooks also my 3 x Great Grandmother and we can hopefully share information from our family trees.  I look forward to hearing from you Thanks Elizlloyd

The baptism record (4 October 1801) for Elizabeth Bennet Brooks (my 3* Great Grandmother) is now at http://www.freereg.org.uk/cgi/SearchResults.pl?RecordType=Baptisms&RecordID=13156500&v=MTQyNzYxMzk3NjozNjU1MjkzNTg0OGZmZmIwMGVlNWQ0NWIwYjY2YTgxNWYyNzA5YjM5

seems like they change their search engine far too often :(