Author Topic: Susan Barrowman Leishman  (Read 2832 times)

Offline suzilad

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Susan Barrowman Leishman
« on: Monday 18 July 11 15:46 BST (UK) »
Susan was born in 1890  in 1912 she married Niven Kerr  at the Crown Restaurant in Grangemouth he was born Kirkcolm
Wigtownshire in 1879  on marriage cert. Susan's address was given at York Cottage  Glenburgh  In 1914 they emigrated to
Canada and returned  to Scotland in 1919  stating they were going to be permanent in Scotland the address they were going to
was in Paisley.
I have been unable to find a death for Niven but Susan died  in 1961 in Grangemouth  I would like to try and find out where 
she is  buried.
Searches at NRH in Edinburgh have revealed no children .

Thanks
Suzilad

Offline fiona g

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Susan Barrowman Leishman
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 19 July 11 18:30 BST (UK) »
Hi Suzilad

I cannot help with the burial place of Susan but have done a free check on SP for Niven Kerr's death.
This may be your Niven Kerr's death.
Niven Kerr b1876 died 1953, aged 77, Barrhead - 4mls outside Paisley

Fiona 

Offline suzilad

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 19 July 11 19:17 BST (UK) »
Hi Fiona,
            Unfortunately this is not the same Niven Kerr . I have searched every time I go to NRH in Edinburgh but he seems  to
 have disappeared .

On Susan's death certificate it has that she is married to Niven a motor lorry driver and that it was her niece who

registered her death.

I am not familiar with which cemeteries would be in the Glenburgh area where she died.

Thanks for your help.

Suzilad

Offline fiona g

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 19 July 11 19:29 BST (UK) »
hope you find Niven K

Fiona

Offline bairnj

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 26 July 11 20:46 BST (UK) »
Hi Suzilad, I was at the Falkirk Cemetry office and there is no record of a burial or cremation for Susan Kerr in 1961.  I had a wee look into her parents and it seems as though they may have belonged to Bothkennar. William Leishman and Janet Rae. Unfortunately no record either for a Niven Kerr in Falkirk.

Bothkennar is only a few miles, if even, from The cottage at Glensburgh.  I can't promise anything, but there may be a possibilty of Susan being buried in the Parish Burial Ground (Falkirk Council do not have record of this churchyard).  I'm not familiar with the records of this church - I'm sure someone on here will be though

If you google York Cottage, Glensburgh - the cottage is still there - seems as though it was sold recently.

Good luck wiht your hunting.

Offline suzilad

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 26 July 11 21:12 BST (UK) »
Hi bairnj,
              Thank you so much for looking for Susan for me . Niven is a mystery and so is his mother I have all the Kerr and Watson

family( his mothers maiden name)  back into the 1780's in Wigtownshire can't get any further back as that is where they married

when the came over from Dromore in Northern Ireland.

Keep your fingers crossed someone might know something about this church's records.

Thanks

Suzilad

Offline bairnj

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 27 July 11 12:28 BST (UK) »
On checking further back it seems as though York Cottage may have belonged to or been resedence for the family for a while!

Susans mother, Janet Leishman nee Rae died in 1914 at Larbert Asylum, but her usual residence is given as York Cottage, Glensburgh.

Offline pwl1951

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 01 December 15 20:46 GMT (UK) »
Link to Susan Barrowman Leishman on Rootsweb
http://wc.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=GET&db=swinton4188&id=I447694269
Just read this post and I have several Leishman`s and Barrowman`s in my tree, although not yet linked Susan with them.

McIntyre/Fraser/McLachlan/Lister/Ferguson/Murray/Muir/Blackwood/Hutchison/Cochrane/Craig/Calderwood/McIntosh/Collie/Dott

Offline pwl1951

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 15 December 15 21:04 GMT (UK) »
I have linked Susan to my tree and there is a possibility that she may be buried in Grandsable cemetery between Westquarter and Polmont. This is close to Glensburgh. Nothing positive, only surmising.
McIntyre/Fraser/McLachlan/Lister/Ferguson/Murray/Muir/Blackwood/Hutchison/Cochrane/Craig/Calderwood/McIntosh/Collie/Dott