Author Topic: Tracing Indian Ancestors who moved to British Guyana  (Read 16764 times)

Offline drobbo

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Tracing Indian Ancestors who moved to British Guyana
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 30 June 12 08:52 BST (UK) »
Dear Listers
I'm trying to restart searching for my wife's ancestors again who travelled from India to Guyana in the late 1800s (see trail below). So far I have not managed to trace anything and I wondered if anyone had any ideas on how I could make some progress.
I've joined the Guyanese facebook as suggested below and have tried to access shipping records but without success. I searched on Find my Past and there is a 'Deoraj' quoted as dying at sea (overseas) in 1885 but not sure whether this is related in any way to the family as I do not have a paid subscription.
Any other ideas please?
Thanks
Drobbo

Offline amachf

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Re: Tracing Indian Ancestors who moved to British Guyana
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 23 August 12 16:44 BST (UK) »
Hello,
     My grandma's parents were taken from India to Guyana and I am trying to locate her family. She was born in 1933 and doesn't know any of her family from India.

Offline kd1993

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Re: Tracing Indian Ancestors who moved to British Guyana early 1900s
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 27 December 17 23:58 GMT (UK) »
Hello drobbo,

Elsie and Daniel are my great-grandparents. I am part of the first-generation Deorajs living in Canada. I am also trying to find out more about my ancestors, and I came across your posts in a Google search. I would love to chat more to find out how you (your wife) and I are connected.

Thanks!
K.

Dear Listers

I am trying to locate ancestors who moved from South India (we think Madras) to British Guyana. I was told that if I can find the boat/ship they travelled on from India to Guyana it will possibly help me to throw some light on their emigration.

I know that my wife's grandmother was Elsie Dhanpal (not sure of her maiden name) and she married Daniel Dhanpal. We think Elsie was born in Guyana @1928 and she had a daughter who married in 1961 to the Deoraj family.

Trying to find out when Elsie and Daniel's parents arrived in Guyana.

Also trying to trace the Tajswah family who we think arrived at a similar time.

Really grateful for any help you can give

Dave

Note: thread merged with previous thread to avoid duplication