Author Topic: Carnegie Family in Angus area?  (Read 10851 times)

Offline DianaCarson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Carnegie Family in Angus area?
« on: Monday 18 July 11 22:54 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone,

I am travelling to Scotland from Canada with my sister in September and we think it would be really great if we could connect with some family while we are there.

My Great-great-grandpa was William Carnegie (1842-1929) and he was married to Jane Campbell (1849-1906). I believe they had 7 children (William, Ann, Susan, Mary, Euphemia, Donald and Ernest) from what I could gather from Ancestry.ca. I know William Carnegie was a gameskeeper in the Cortachy area. My great-grandpa was Ernest David Archibald Carnegie (1886-1976) and he was married to Elizabeth Forbes (1886-1977). They immigrated to Manitoba, Canada and had 9 children, my grandpa, Boyd Murray Carnegie (1932-2006), being the youngest.

If anyone recognises these names, it would be great to hear from you.

Thanks!

Diana
Carson, Carnegie, Forbes, Mitchell, Boyd, Plageman,

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
Re: Carnegie Family in Angus area?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 19 July 11 10:27 BST (UK) »
hi Diana

welcome to rootschat  :)

found this tree on rootsweb , perhaps someone can make some connections ?

http://worldconnect.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=GET&db=aek740a&id=I042454

ev

PS - now you've got me started on my kincardineshire carnegie(isabella jolly) !
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline DianaCarson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 20 July 11 18:11 BST (UK) »
Thanks so much for the help ev!
We might make a trip to Cortachy while we are there to see what we can find out. :)

Diana

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 20 July 11 19:12 BST (UK) »
it looks like william carnegie(1842-1929) had parents william carnegie and susan fairweather
i'm wondering if his father william carnegie(born c1811 fettercairn ?) had parents william carnegie and helen rennie ?

ev
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline DianaCarson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 20 July 11 19:41 BST (UK) »
I do have record of William Carnegie marrying Helen Rennie in 1789 and having 6 children, including William who married Susan Fairweather :)

Offline lyndyloo6

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My Great Grandmother, Susan Allan Welsh,Bervie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 30 July 11 20:05 BST (UK) »
Hi , my Carnegies hail from Bervie, my3 x gt grandmother being Catherine Carnegie, c1807.
Lynda
Welsh Allan, Wemyss, Caird, McAllister,Gibb, Kincardineshire,
Chisholm, Rew,McDonald,Macdonald, Brechin, McConnachie, Pirie, Welsh, Angus
Gibb, Allan, Ross, Stewart,McRobb, Aberdeenshire,
Horan,  Edinburgh.
Robertson, Penicuik, oodfellow, Hodgson, Birtley,Chester le Street Durham.

Offline hez

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 01 September 11 22:23 BST (UK) »
Hey Diana,

Good thinking posting something on here.  I hope you are able to find some useful information.  I'll have to track that William Carnegie/Rennie connection.  I had always been stumped at Great Grand William in the past. 

I would suggest calling Auntie Betty out in BC, too.  She has been to Scotland and met with the relatives more than once.  Grandma will have her phone number and e-mail address.  I think the e-mail address is Uncle Andy's but it will get you in touch with her. 

Have fun over there.  I'm jealous.

Auntie Heather

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 02 September 11 12:11 BST (UK) »
The 1881 census records William and Jane Carnegie in Settlingwynd, Cortachy. William's birthplace is given as Edzell and Jane's as Forteviot (a few miles south-west of Perth). With them are William, 12; Ann M, 11; Susan I, 8; Jane C, 6; Mary,3 and Euphemia, 1, all born Cortachy.

The 1841 records William and Susan Carnegie in Invereskandy, Edzell. William born outside Angus, Susan and David, 10; John, 8; Isabella, 3 and William, 1 all born in Angus. This William presumably died young because there is an 'extracted' listing of William Carnegie, born 18 May 1842 in Edzell.

It seems quite likely that William and Susan survived until the start of civil registration in 1855, and if so there should be death certificates at www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk which should tell you the names of both their parents. Go for Susan first because she will be indexed under both her maiden and her married names.

You will find out much more BTW if you arrange to spend a day in the Scotland's People Centre in Edinburgh before you travel to Cortachy, or Edzell, or Fettercairn, or anywhere else, because all the basic records you will want to look at are kept there, not in the individual parishes.

(PS and don't even think about trying to drive a car in Edinburgh. There's an excellent bus service and driving in the city is a nightmare surpassed only by trying to park in the city centre if you ever get there.)
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline ferryboy

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 07 September 11 01:14 BST (UK) »
Just read your post. Dont know if you have already left but !
William Carnegie was gamekeeper to the Earl of Airlie for 60 years. Ended up as head keeper.As mentioned he lived at Settlingwynd (the kennels).
We were over 2 years ago and it is rented out and well cared for.
A short distance up the Glenclova road is the Pipers Hill cemetery where he is buried (more info on his stone)
His father William died at Leith of Balmain,Fettercairn 20.8.1880 of Tyuphoid Fever. His wife Susan also died there 10.11.1877 of diahrea.
They had 12 children including the two Williams, all born at Invereskandy  except the last (James) who was born at Barhaugh,Glenesk.
You can see the old mill building and mill lade at Invereskandy. A gamekeeper now lives in the mill cottage at Barhaugh, Tarfside.
My grandmother was Susan and I have most of the family tree back to John Carnegie who married Anna Wyllie in 1734.
Try and get the two books Glens Folk in a local shop.