Author Topic: Mystery of an address  (Read 18572 times)

Offline Drop Bear

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Mystery of an address
« on: Tuesday 19 July 11 01:21 BST (UK) »
Greetings to all.

I am tyring to solve the mystery of what an actual address was of my Great Grandparents. The following is the details from the certificates I have of their childrens births, census & Grandpa's death:

1892 - Where born - 102 Sheildmuir, Parish of Dalziel (No mention of St, Rd, Ave etc)
1894 - Where born - 102 Shieldmuir, Parish of Dalziel (No mention of St, Rd, Ave etc)
1898 - Where born - 63 Shieldmuir (Nothing else)
1899 - Where born - 63 Shieldmuir (Nothing else)
1901 - Census - 92 Shieldmuir
1902 - Where born - 92 Shieldmuir (Nothing else)
1907 - Where born - 63 English Buildings, Shieldmuir, Dalziel
1907 - Where died - 63 English St, Craigneuk, Dalziel

Could someone please enlighten me as to where they might actually have lived?
Kind regards,
Liz
Baxter: Lanarkshire, Slamannan
Jordan: Lanarkshire, Staffordshire
McFarlane: Lanarkshire
Mitchell: Ireland to Scotland, Canada & New Zealand
Farrell: Lanarkshire, Ireland, New York
Fagan: Lanarkshire, Ireland
Hogg: Lanarkshire, Ireland

Offline gracie23

• RootsChat Member
  • We Remember
    • View Profile
Re: Mystery of an address
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 19 July 11 02:16 BST (UK) »
KEARNEY/CARNEY: Ireland
QUINLAN: Ireland
CONLIN: Ireland
COYLE: Longford Ireland to Montreal, Canada
PRENDERGAST: Kerry, Ireland to Montreal, Canada
O'LEARY: Wexford Ireland to Montreal Canada
MURPHY: Wexford Ireland
DOYLE: Wexford, Ireland
BRENNAN: Wexford, Ireland
LEAHY: Ireland
NOLAN: Ireland to Boston, Massachusetts

Offline Drop Bear

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 19 July 11 02:35 BST (UK) »
Thank you Deb.

From that website I see that there is a Church on Shieldmuir St. I had a look on Google Earth and there is a Shieldmuir St and English St runs off that. I am now wondering if back in the late 1800's, early 1900's whether the "English Buildings" was perhaps on the corner of Shieldmuir & English Streets being as how there is a 63 Shieldmuir & a 63 English as addresses. I am willing to accept that they perhaps lived in "Shieldmuir Street" but a don't understand the changing numbers.

Regards,
Liz

Offline Lodger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 19 July 11 08:01 BST (UK) »
Hi Liz,

Shieldmuir is an area next to Craigneuk - which was once a village. They are now both, for postal address reasons, within the town of Wishaw. Historically, they were both in the civil parish of Dalziel (for registration and other parochial reasons such as poor relief). Looking on an old map the names run thus - Motherwell, Flemington, Craigneuk, Shieldmuir then Wishaw.
The English Buildings were on Shieldmuir Street (the main Motherwell to Wishaw road)  and were a group of tenement buildings of various sizes, very sub-standard homes for working-class people. They were demolished in the 1950s. Shieldmuir St is just a continuation of Craigneuk St. The name English refers to the property owner and has nothing to do with England.
The addresses 63 and 102 Shieldmuir makes me think of the old miners rows. They were often described that way. The changing numbers are probably because people changed houses so often in those days. If I were to move home now, I would require at least 6 weeks to pack, back in 1899 people could put everything they owned on the back of a donkey cart in an hour.
If you let me know the family names you are research in Craigneuk/Shieldmuir I will have a look for more information.
Paterson, Torrance, Gilchrist - Hamilton Lanarkshire. 
McCallum - Oban, McKechnie - Ross of Mull Argyll.
Scrim - Perthshire. 
Liddell - Polmont,
Binnie - Muiravonside Stirlingshire.
Curran, McCafferty, Stevenson, McCue - Co Donegal
Gibbons, Weldon - Co Mayo.
Devlin - Co Tyrone.
Leonard - County Donegal & Glasgow.

Offline danuslave

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My fashion sense isn't any better now!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 19 July 11 08:03 BST (UK) »
Most town dwellers did not own property, but rented.  

The family could just have moved from one to another (and back) over the years, not necessarily living in the same rooms.

Most families could move all their possessions on a handcart then!

Linda

Snap Lodger   :)
MOXHAM/MOXAM - Wiltshire & Surrey
SKEATS - Surrey
BRETT - Kent & County Durham
and
SWINBANK - anywhere

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Drop Bear

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 19 July 11 10:04 BST (UK) »
Hi Liz,

Shieldmuir is an area next to Craigneuk - which was once a village. They are now both, for postal address reasons, within the town of Wishaw. Historically, they were both in the civil parish of Dalziel (for registration and other parochial reasons such as poor relief). Looking on an old map the names run thus - Motherwell, Flemington, Craigneuk, Shieldmuir then Wishaw.
The English Buildings were on Shieldmuir Street (the main Motherwell to Wishaw road)  and were a group of tenement buildings of various sizes, very sub-standard homes for working-class people. They were demolished in the 1950s. Shieldmuir St is just a continuation of Craigneuk St. The name English refers to the property owner and has nothing to do with England.
The addresses 63 and 102 Shieldmuir makes me think of the old miners rows. They were often described that way. The changing numbers are probably because people changed houses so often in those days. If I were to move home now, I would require at least 6 weeks to pack, back in 1899 people could put everything they owned on the back of a donkey cart in an hour.
If you let me know the family names you are research in Craigneuk/Shieldmuir I will have a look for more information.

Lodger, I don't know how many times you have come to the rescue, and living in Australia, I cannot thank you enough.
My Great Grandparents are Richard Jordan & Elizabeth Hanson. When they married (Richard was a widower)1st May 1891. he lived at 85 Shieldmuir.
The 1892 birth was their son Richard
The 1894 birth was twin sons Francis & John
The 1898 birth was their son Joseph
The 1899 birth was their daughter Elizabeth
The 1902 birth was their daughter Jane (Jeanie)
The 1907 birth was their son James
The 1907 death was Great Grandpa Richard Jordan
By the way, on Great Grandpa's death, I don't suppose you would know where he is buried. (No pressure, just a thought)
Kindest regards
Liz

Offline Lodger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 20 July 11 23:49 BST (UK) »
Hi Liz,
Can't find any mention of the 1907 death in the Cambusnethan records, his parents names would help and his 1st wife's maiden surname. There are 3 Jordans in the 1922 street directory.
J. JORDAN, care of Devaney, 77 English Buildings.
R. JORDAN, c/o Ritchie, 4 English Buildings.
J. JORDAN, c/o Mallon, 97 English Buildings.

Not much there I'm afraid, all lodgers!  :D
Do you know anything more about the James born 1907?
Paterson, Torrance, Gilchrist - Hamilton Lanarkshire. 
McCallum - Oban, McKechnie - Ross of Mull Argyll.
Scrim - Perthshire. 
Liddell - Polmont,
Binnie - Muiravonside Stirlingshire.
Curran, McCafferty, Stevenson, McCue - Co Donegal
Gibbons, Weldon - Co Mayo.
Devlin - Co Tyrone.
Leonard - County Donegal & Glasgow.

Offline Drop Bear

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 21 July 11 00:56 BST (UK) »
Hi Lodger,

Richard Jordan was born about 1859 in Bilston, Staffordshire although I do not have 100% confirmation of that as yet. His parents were Samuel Jordan & Elizabeth Talbot (Although the marriage certificate says Turbot). He was first married to Eliza Cashmore 12th January 1878 in Tipton Worcestershire. They had 4 children, Elizabeth, Samuel, Florence & Rachel. Eliza died 9th September 1889, 8 Albert St, Shettleston, Lanark. Richard then married Elizabeth Hanson 1st May 1891, Avon Street, Motherwell. They had the children mentioned in my previous post. Richard died 19th September 1907, 63 English St, Craigneuk, Dalziel. Their son James was born 1st April 1907, 63 English Buildings, Shieldmuir, Dalziel. James married Elizabeth McLaughlan 14th June 1929 Eastwood, Lanark. On his marriage certificate his address was 42 Ladysmith Street, Wishaw.

After Richard died, my grandmother Elizabeth Hanson/Jordan married John Wylie 6th January 1909, 19 Howard St, Glasgow. Both were listed as living at 96 English St, Shieldmuir, Wishaw. Elizabeth died 5th November 1951, 37 Ladysmith St, Craigneuk.

Please let me know if you require any more information as I have all birth, death and marriage certificates for Richard, Elizabeth and all their children except for the birth of Great Grandpa Richard. Verifying English research is so much harder than Scottish.
Kindest regards,
Liz

Offline thebett

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 29 October 11 12:09 BST (UK) »
Hi Liz
Just come across this thread and think it is possible that my grandfather Frederick William CASHMORE was cousin to Eliza Cashmore born Tipton, first wife of Richard JORDAN.  I believe her parents to be Thomas CASHMORE and Ann MILLWARD/MILLARD.  I would be very grateful for any details you can give me.  I would be delighted to give you more CASHMORE info, but as this was a first marriage, it is probably not of interest.
Kind regards
Lise Leresche