Author Topic: The Medal Reunited Project - Update  (Read 82270 times)

Offline LouisaS

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: The Medal Reunited Project - Update
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 03 November 13 14:45 GMT (UK) »
My Grandfather had the two first War medals the name  around the edge is not his? Any suggestions?   He was in  the Gloucester Reg
Louisa

Offline millymcb

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 03 November 13 15:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi

What is it you are trying to find out?

If you start a new thread on the Armed Forces WW1 board with your Grandfather's details we may be able to find his medal card and regimental number and service papers if they still exist (60% of these were lost in WW2).

And if you post the name and number that is on the medals you have, we may be able to find out more about who those belonged to.

Milly
McBride (Monaghan, Manchester), Derbyshire (Bollington,Cheshire), Knight (Newcastle,Staffs), Smith (Chorley, Lancs & Ireland), Tipladay (Manchester & Yorkshire) ,Steadman (Madeley,Shropshire), Steele (Manchester,Glasgow), Parkinson (Wigan, Lancashire), Lovatt, Cornes & Turner (Staffs) Stott (Oldham, Lancs). All ended up Ardwick, Manchester
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline LouisaS

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 03 November 13 20:01 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Millymcb, I gave them to my son, I will phone and ask the name
His name was Thomas Stanley, the only thing I do know is he was blinded with gas lost his speech and sight for a while.
Louisa

Offline millymcb

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 03 November 13 20:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Who is Thomas Stanley?  I presume that is your grandfather who was in the Gloucestershire Regt?
What makes you think he was Gloucestershire Regiment?  Do you have any paperwork, photos of him in Uniform etc?  Is it just from what he said? Or a assumption?

And we are waiting to find  out the name on the medals and the number?

Milly
McBride (Monaghan, Manchester), Derbyshire (Bollington,Cheshire), Knight (Newcastle,Staffs), Smith (Chorley, Lancs & Ireland), Tipladay (Manchester & Yorkshire) ,Steadman (Madeley,Shropshire), Steele (Manchester,Glasgow), Parkinson (Wigan, Lancashire), Lovatt, Cornes & Turner (Staffs) Stott (Oldham, Lancs). All ended up Ardwick, Manchester

Offline millymcb

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 03 November 13 21:02 GMT (UK) »
Was Thomas Stanley just Thomas or did he have a middle name?
What year was he born and where?

Milly

Offline LouisaS

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 04 November 13 04:04 GMT (UK) »
Hello Milly yes he was my Grandfather born 1897 Cambridge, family moved to Gloucestershire went to school in Chelteham I do have his birth cert just Thomas.  he said he enlisted, always thought of the Gloucestershire reg.  He had two brothers William F and Joseph John. would they have enlisted.
because my grandfather was  so ill he was pensioned off.    He would not talk of war to the grandchildren.   His children all thought he joined the Glosters. One of the grandchildren has a large photo of him in a uniform. I will ring around later.  I have just let the dogs up the garden before going back to bed!!

Offline millymcb

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 04 November 13 23:40 GMT (UK) »
National Archives have three ww1 medal cards for Thomas Stanley in Gloucestershire Regiment.
http://www.rootschat.com/links/0wqy/
Two of these are Thomas H Stanley so are possible - but you say you are sure he had no middle name....So that leaves just one Thomas Stanley as the most likely candidate (although not 100% certain as you don't know for sure that he was in the Gloucestershire Regiment)

Private, Gloucesteshire Regiment
Service Number 16520
Enlisted 13/12/1915 - Discharged 9/5/1919

It doesn't look like this man's service/pension papers have survived unfortunately.

If you can find the photo that might help confirm his regiment.

Milly

Offline LouisaS

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 05 November 13 01:04 GMT (UK) »
Milly I have a small photo of Grandad with a uniform of soft jacket when he was at a wedding,  I scanned it blew it up!! on the pockets in the front  on right pocket some writing, I contacted my cousin, who never had the big photo of Grandad, but thought he would have joined the Glosters.  Phoned my sister, who was remarkably close to Gramps.  She must be away, will try my son tomorrow, as I had so much ironing to do, neighbours would have thought I started a Laundry, iron had packed up.
My Grandad did say he joined up youngish, thought he was on the Somme.
louisa

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 06 November 13 13:32 GMT (UK) »
I can't get the site to open.