Author Topic: Townsend/McDowell  (Read 6673 times)

Offline towcar

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Townsend/McDowell
« Reply #9 on: Monday 07 April 14 05:46 BST (UK) »
Hi Michael,

Yes, Hugh is Alexanders brother.  He was born around 1854 I think.  Sarah lamour his first wife died in 1896, buried in Gleno with James and Martha Townsend (took a pic of the grave in January).  Hugh then married Elizabeth Milliken in 1898.  They had a sister called Margaret who married Robert Brennan in 1862.  I know there were a couple of other brothers but can't confirm their names, possibly William and Andrew. I have lots more info about the family and am in contact with other decendents of Hugh.
What is your line from Hugh?  How did you come across the Townsend family photo from New Zealand?

Offline oscar123

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 07 April 14 10:09 BST (UK) »
Hi Michael,

Yes, Hugh is Alexanders brother.  He was born around 1854 I think.  Sarah lamour his first wife died in 1896, buried in Gleno with James and Martha Townsend (took a pic of the grave in January).  Hugh then married Elizabeth Milliken in 1898.  They had a sister called Margaret who married Robert Brennan in 1862.  I know there were a couple of other brothers but can't confirm their names, possibly William and Andrew. I have lots more info about the family and am in contact with other decendents of Hugh.
What is your line from Hugh?  How did you come across the Townsend family photo from New Zealand?

Hi Craig

Thanks for the quick response.

Hugh Townsend was my great grandfather on my mother's side. One of Hugh's children - the last by Sarah - was Eliza Stuart, my grandmother. I have a treasured photo of Hugh and family at the family farm just outside Carrickfergus taken at the christening of my grandmother in 1895. Sadly her mother, Sarah died shortly after that as you know.
My part in the present research is a little complicated but I will try to explain. My mother (80 next month) moved back to her home town of Carrickfergus last year. Her neighbour invited her for dinner and in the conversation produced the photo of Alex Townsend and family in NZ. My mother spotted an immediate resemblance with her grandfather, Hugh..... bizarre but there you go.
Turns out that the neighbour is a descendant of a John McMaw who married Jennie McDowell - I believe a sister of Margaret McDowell - Alex's wife.
Lots of pieces of the puzzle are falling into place. I know that Hugh - when he re-married - moved to Scotland so I have always been aware of distant relatives there and my mother is still in touch with some but none of us knew anything of the siblings of Hugh. I guess there are folk in NZ who share the same great, great grandparents with me....

What is your connection in all of this and are you in NZ?? Are there still Townsends in Alex's line in NZ?

Offline towcar

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 08 April 14 10:14 BST (UK) »
Thats a great story with your mother and her neighbour!
Alex and Margaret Townsend are my gg grandparents. I live in Ramarama, South Auckland here in New Zealand, around 2 minutes away from the farm where they settled when they came to NZ.  There's lots of Townsends from Alex's line over here, they had 13 children. 
Margarets brother Gordon came over with them as well in 1870.  I'm in touch with a couple of Hugh's decendants, one in Carrick and another in Scotland.  It's a shame you hadn't seen this thread earlier as I was in Ireland for a month over Christmas and even stayed with a Mcdowell while in Ballyclare.
Really interesting to hear your mothers neighbour had a photo from NZ, definitely a small world.  Our family thought there was no contact between Ireland and NZ families but obviously there was lots with the Townsends and the Mcdowells.  I'd be quite interested to hear what your mothers neighbour has to say about the Mcdowells as we know very little about Margarets family.

Offline oscar123

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 08 April 14 11:41 BST (UK) »
Thats a great story with your mother and her neighbour!
Alex and Margaret Townsend are my gg grandparents. I live in Ramarama, South Auckland here in New Zealand, around 2 minutes away from the farm where they settled when they came to NZ.  There's lots of Townsends from Alex's line over here, they had 13 children. 
Margarets brother Gordon came over with them as well in 1870.  I'm in touch with a couple of Hugh's decendants, one in Carrick and another in Scotland.  It's a shame you hadn't seen this thread earlier as I was in Ireland for a month over Christmas and even stayed with a Mcdowell while in Ballyclare.
Really interesting to hear your mothers neighbour had a photo from NZ, definitely a small world.  Our family thought there was no contact between Ireland and NZ families but obviously there was lots with the Townsends and the Mcdowells.  I'd be quite interested to hear what your mothers neighbour has to say about the Mcdowells as we know very little about Margarets family.

Craig

Thanks for all the info - my mother will be delighted when I fill in these gaps for her.

What I can do in relation to the neighbour is see if she would be happy to communicate with you... I suspect at her age that it would need to be by good old fashioned letter !

A quick glance at Ramarama on Google tells me you live in a beautiful part of the world.

I have travelled as far as China and Japan but never to Australia or NZ .... I retired last year so if I make it down your way at any point I'll be sure to let you know and maybe arrange to meet up.

Is it possible for us to exchange e-mail addresses? - I'm not sure of the protocols on this site...

Offline Keston

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 02 May 14 03:44 BST (UK) »
Hi Craig and Michael,

I have just seen your posts.  Craig, it sounds as if you have made progress on the Antrim lines of Townsends and McDowells!

Michael, I am a descendant of Gordon McDowell, brother of Margaret referred to by Craig below and have been in touch with Craig about this topic in the past.

I had previously made the connection with the Gleno McDowells when visiting Ireland a number of years ago, but until I confirmed the connection with the Townsends, had not been able to tie down a direct connection with the McDowells there as there were so many.

My great auntie Lily (Elizabeth Mary McDowell)  (daughter of Gordon's son Robert Henry McDowell, and grand-daughter to Gordon) visited Northern Ireland in the first half of the twentieth century and the family has always said that she was quite friendly with them and was the one in our line who maintained contact.  The thing that originally got me looking in the Gleno / Carrickfergus area was that she had said that she had been to visit relatives in Carrickfergus who were related to the McDowells and that there were McDowells still living in the area who were related to us.  She was apparently in contact with relatives in Antrim for many years and ended up marrying an Ulsterman, Ralph Lockhart.  My Mother says that there were also McDowell relations who visited New Zealand in the 50's or 60's who were living in New York.

My great aunt was born in 1905 so passed away a number of years ago but the last information my Mother had about who the people could have been that she visited was that their surname was possibly Forsyth and they were from Carrickfergus.

Not sure if this is any help at all or whether this name is a red herring, but it was always one of my key starting goals of doing genealogy to find our Antrim McDowell link as well as who it was that our family remained in contact with for all those years.

Thanks
KESTON.

I have had

- Anderton - Walton le Dale & Heskin / Eccleston / Croston / Bispham Green areas Lancashire; Bombay NZ
- Smith - Harworth, Nottinghamshire; Ashton under Lyne, Shaw, Lancashire; Cape Colony, Natal, South Africa
- McDowell - Raloo, Antrim; Garthland, Galloway; Drury, Maketu, NZ
- Hall - Cavan, Ireland
- Bell - Fermanagh, Ireland; Papakura, NZ
- Hanna - Tyrone, Ireland & West Coast NZ
- Burns, Johnston(e), King and Moffat - Peebles, Traquair, Selkirk, Scotland
- Rugg - Kumara, NZ
- Dick

Offline Keston

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 05 May 14 08:33 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Sorry just to clarify some of the above having spoken to my Mother.  Lily visited Carrickfergus in the 1950's with her husband Ralph Lockhart.

The McDowells who later visited New Zealand were living at that time in New York. 

The main things my Mother remembers of these events as a child were funny little things in that the kiwi McDowells were all so surprised at the idea that the New York McDowells lived in an apartment in New York and that this was rented.  Also that the Carrickfergus McDowells all very much had the family names such ad Robert, Alexander etc, which were the names used in Lily's parents (Gordon's children's) generation.  In Lily (sister of my grandfather Percy) and later my Mother's generations a lot of the names here had changed.

Anyway, not sure if any of this helps but is probably the last documented NZ connection with the Antrim McDowells and Townsends At this stage in our line of the family at any rate.  As stated above, Lily was a cousin of the NZ Townsend's and I understand that she was in touch with that side of the family in NZ too.

Thanks
Keston.
- Anderton - Walton le Dale & Heskin / Eccleston / Croston / Bispham Green areas Lancashire; Bombay NZ
- Smith - Harworth, Nottinghamshire; Ashton under Lyne, Shaw, Lancashire; Cape Colony, Natal, South Africa
- McDowell - Raloo, Antrim; Garthland, Galloway; Drury, Maketu, NZ
- Hall - Cavan, Ireland
- Bell - Fermanagh, Ireland; Papakura, NZ
- Hanna - Tyrone, Ireland & West Coast NZ
- Burns, Johnston(e), King and Moffat - Peebles, Traquair, Selkirk, Scotland
- Rugg - Kumara, NZ
- Dick

Offline zozo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 14 August 17 21:49 BST (UK) »
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1920/09277/5358921.pdf

Hi - read this post with interest as I have just discovered that my great grandfather Robert McDowell married Eliza Stewart Townsend in Raloo in 1920. Her parents were in Sarah Lamour and Hugh Townsend but I don't have any other information. Can any one help? And just as an add on I have already booked a holiday to North Island NZ in April 2018
mills, eastwood, eastwood holmes, sussex. Foreman, eastwood, mills kent

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 16 August 17 09:21 BST (UK) »
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1920/09277/5358921.pdf

Hi - read this post with interest as I have just discovered that my great grandfather Robert McDowell married Eliza Stewart Townsend in Raloo in 1920. Her parents were in Sarah Lamour and Hugh Townsend but I don't have any other information. Can any one help? And just as an add on I have already booked a holiday to North Island NZ in April 2018

Hugh Townsend, wife Elizabeth and family in 1901- daughter Eliza S. is age 5:
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Antrim/Carrickfergus_Rural/North_East_Division/991913

Same family in 1911- married c1900:
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Antrim/Eden/North_East_Division/193294

Elizabeth's maiden name Milliken & Hugh's father was James Townsend- married actually 1898-
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1898/10433/5798982.pdf

Hugh's 1st wife Sarah died 1896-
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1896/05902/4674679.pdf

Birth of Eliza Stewart Townsend in 1895-
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1895/02221/1837785.pdf
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!