Author Topic: Naini Tal, INDIA 1908-1911  (Read 1565 times)

Offline -Glen-

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Naini Tal, INDIA 1908-1911
« on: Wednesday 20 July 11 19:49 BST (UK) »
My Great-Grandfather 'Walter Edward John Ernest STAPLES' was based in India between 1908 - 1911. (These dates are taken from his Army service records)

There is only one photo of him in existence and 'Naini Tal, India' is printed on the bottom of the photograph.

Does anyone know what records might exist for this period? (For example, marriage records?)

Thank you,
Glen.
Galway, Ireland: Cunningham, Deely, Callanan, Conerneen/Conerney, Mullins and more. London, England:  Callingham, Buck, Parker, Comerford, Staples, Pitter, Gallington, Langhelt, Setzer and more! Bearsted/Maidstone, Kent: Lamkin, Langley, Smith

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Naini Tal, INDIA 1908-1911
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 20 July 11 20:59 BST (UK) »
Hi

You haven't included any birthyear which gives an idea of when he may have married

Per freebmd

Births March qtr 1887     
Walter Edward J E  Staples   St. Olave  1d 243

Freebmd shows a marriage in 1929 - have you checked it out?

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline -Glen-

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 20 July 11 22:06 BST (UK) »
Hi Carole,

Thank you for those bits. Yes - that's his birth and marriage to my Great-Grandmother.

There's some mystery surrounding the marriage record and they already had five children between 1918 and 1929, so I'm trying to find out more about his time in India. I'm clutching at straws to be honest, but I wondered if perhaps any records existed for his time in India. I'm not sure what there might be though, because he was only there for a short time.

Kind regards,
Glen.
Galway, Ireland: Cunningham, Deely, Callanan, Conerneen/Conerney, Mullins and more. London, England:  Callingham, Buck, Parker, Comerford, Staples, Pitter, Gallington, Langhelt, Setzer and more! Bearsted/Maidstone, Kent: Lamkin, Langley, Smith

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 20 July 11 22:31 BST (UK) »
They had 3 children born pre-1929 and 2 after

A copy of the marriage cert will show if either was previously married.

There is the possibility that either Walter or Dorothy was not free to marry if a previous spouse was still living
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline -Glen-

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 20 July 11 22:43 BST (UK) »
They're recorded as Bachelor and Spinster on the marriage cert, but my Great-Grandmother uses two different maiden names on the children's birth certs!!
I'm trying to work through all of the different possible reasons why she uses two different names, and so I wondered if perhaps he was married in India?!?!
I can't find any previous marriage for either of them.
It's a longshot of course, but I'm keen to learn more about his time in India.
Thanks again  :)