Author Topic: The name Shoswood and variants  (Read 4065 times)

Offline Templar75

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
The name Shoswood and variants
« on: Thursday 21 July 11 00:13 BST (UK) »
Hi Folks,

I am working on my wife's family tree and came across an unusual name SHOSWOOD, this down the line has many variants, Shorswood Shorswad,  Shorswood, Chooswood and so on, they are all linked down the line  to the latter 1500's.

They seemed to have come up from Berwick upon Tweed and settled in East Lothian, if anyone is looking for this name in their tree just get in touch as I seem to have the whole lot, and I will see if I have a match for you.

The last known one I have moved to Leith and married a man called Knight, on checking the name it may have come the name Sherwood.

Regards.

Archie.

Offline MADonaldson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: The name Shoswood and variants
« Reply #1 on: Monday 12 September 11 19:25 BST (UK) »
Hi Archie,

I'm writing to you from Toronto, Canada. I have multiple Shos(s)woods in my family. We think that my 4th great grandmother was born Cromarty, Scotland in 1782 and her name was Elizabeth Shos(s)wood White. Her son's name was John Shosswood and my great grandfather's name was Shosswood Donaldson. I've attached pictures of their headstones. We have hit a dead end with Elizabeth's line and would appreciate any help.

Thanks, Mark

Offline jemski

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 26 November 14 00:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi Folks,

I am working on my wife's family tree and came across an unusual name SHOSWOOD, this down the line has many variants, Shorswood Shorswad,  Shorswood, Chooswood and so on, they are all linked down the line  to the latter 1500's.

They seemed to have come up from Berwick upon Tweed and settled in East Lothian, if anyone is looking for this name in their tree just get in touch as I seem to have the whole lot, and I will see if I have a match for you.

The last known one I have moved to Leith and married a man called Knight, on checking the name it may have come the name Sherwood.

Regards.

Archie.

Offline jemski

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 26 November 14 00:32 GMT (UK) »

Hello Archie;   I am also a cousin of Mark Donaldson and we have both hit a brick wall with Elizabeth Shosswood presumed to have been born in 1782 in Cromarty Scotland. I am very eager to learn whatever I can on this unusual family name. Please and Thanks.

Offline Templar75

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 26 November 14 11:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jemski,

I have also hit a wall with the name, though I will need to try and find my paperwork and do another check on this man, there was one who became a Bishop and Secretary for Scotland sorry I can't remember the dates but I think it was around the 13 or 1400s.

The name as I said before is a derivative of Sherwood and seems to be strictly Scottish in origin, I will see what I can find out.

Cheers.

Archie.

Offline RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 26 November 14 12:12 GMT (UK) »
from blacks surnames

Offline Templar75

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 26 November 14 18:40 GMT (UK) »
I have come across these on SP however you will need to try SP yourself if you are able to connect to any on the list.

Falkyrn thank you for the details great find.

Unfortunately I can't upload the details the program says there is a file already by that name when there is not, steam coming out of my ears as this is the fourth try. Grrrrrrrrrrr.

Cheers.

Archie.

Offline RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 26 November 14 19:40 GMT (UK) »

Unfortunately I can't upload the details the program says there is a file already by that name when there is not, steam coming out of my ears as this is the fourth try. Grrrrrrrrrrr.

Cheers.

Archie.

If it is an image file try renaming the file using your user name coupled with the date and a number for each image.- that should make it unique.
The file system used by Rootschat requires that every file is uniqely named and the most common have already been used.

Offline Templar75

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 27 November 14 12:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jemski and MADonaldson,

I am going to try and send what I got from SP one at a time to see if they get through, sorry about this.

Cheers.

Archie.