Author Topic: McKean, Joseph  (Read 7729 times)

Offline Ratty2

• RootsChat Senior
  • Burg Crest Schleswig-Holstein
    • View Profile
McKean, Joseph
« on: Thursday 21 July 11 01:11 BST (UK) »
John McKean (b1802) and Catherine Ramage had 8 children. William (b1837 at Edinburgh) migrated to Australia in 1857 and became a successful baker and farmer. Also in 1857 his brother Joseph migrated to Victoria Australia. Family memory has then in a fight. William stayed, but Joseph went off. Looking for further clues to find Joseph (have plenty on William). If you know Joseph please ask him to call as his family is worried about him. Cheers
Schleswig-Holstein:- Rathgen; Rathjen; Oelkers; Behnke; Scheel; Rothgarn; Normanns; Scotland:- Lindsay

Offline Templar75

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: McKean, Joseph
« Reply #1 on: Friday 22 July 11 23:13 BST (UK) »
Hi ratty2,

I think you have the message mixed up a bit, if Joseph was in Australia in 1857 he will not be alive, can you please define you message more clearly as to what you require. Do you think he came back to Edinburgh ?.

Cheers.

Archie.

Offline Ratty2

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 23 July 11 05:03 BST (UK) »
Possible sightings of him include two marriages in NSW (1860-1870s), and he may possibly have gone to Otago, NZ 1860s. No real idea where he went; but should you find a record which might indicate his subsequent events, please let us know. He may have returned home to Scotland or he may have simply vanished. Ta
Schleswig-Holstein:- Rathgen; Rathjen; Oelkers; Behnke; Scheel; Rothgarn; Normanns; Scotland:- Lindsay

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 23 July 11 11:13 BST (UK) »
Just adding the link to the Australian post for background www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,545210.0.html

Monica  :)
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Templar75

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 23 July 11 21:33 BST (UK) »
Hi ratty2,

is this your family ? he could have changed his name or changed the place of birth if he came back to Scotland, wait and see if the link Monica sent it to comes up with anything.

1841 Census

John Mckean    35
Catharine Mckean    35
James Mckean    2
Peter Mckean    7
Alexander Mckean    5
William Mckean    2
Joseph Mckean    2m
Robert Mckean    30

1851 Census

Name    Age
John Mckean    47
Cath Mckean    46
James Mckean    19
Peter Mckean    17
Wm Mckean    12
Joseph Mckean10
Jane Mckean    8
Agnes Mckean    6
Robert Mckean   4

Cheers.

Archie.

Offline Ratty2

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 25 July 11 07:52 BST (UK) »
Thanks Templar75, yes these are the ones. I notice Alexander is missing from the 1851 Census - do you happen to have access to deaths between 1841 and 1851 for Alexander, please? David

Offline Templar75

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 25 July 11 13:36 BST (UK) »
Hi David,

sorry but I don't have access to deaths you would really need to go to Scotlands People for that, it costs £7.00 for 30 credits if the search comes up with anything it will cost 1 credit to view and 5 credits to download.

Cheers.

Archie.

Offline Kenmckean

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 28 August 11 03:31 BST (UK) »
Hi Ratty2. I'm Ken McKean from Warrnambool, Victoria, Australia. John and Catherine (Ramage)McKean were my Great, Great, Great Grandparents and as you said they had a lot of children. Joseph was my Great, Great Grandfather William McKean's brother. You guys probably know more about Joseph than I do, but yes I heard the three brothers William, Joseph and Peter all came over in 1857 for the Goldrush. William had a General Store in Linton (near Ballarat, Victoria, Australia) for a while (he later came down here to the Western District and died in Cobden. He Joseph and Peter all had a blue and went their separate ways. Don't know where Joseph or Peter went, but when I went to a McKean Family reunion years ago, someone said he or Peter might have went to Moe, as there are a lot of McKean's there. Robert a younger brother came to Australia a little later and settled in Melbourne where he later became a councillor in Carlton. He lived at 816 Swanston Street, Carlton (Melbourne, Victoria). There's also a street named after him (McKean Street of course) in Carlton. Anyway I know a bit more, so if anyone wants to know more let me know. I would also like to know more about Joseph. Cheers. Ken McKean

Offline Alison2910

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 06 June 12 08:48 BST (UK) »
Hi Ken
I am a descendant of William McKean whose brother Joseph was your ancestor.  I am writing a family history about the McKean - McRae families from Port Campbell and would be very interested to learn more about Joseph.  I have heard this rumour about a fight - any more details?

Hope to hear
Alison