Author Topic: Sutton-cum-Duckmanton Parish Registers - REVILL  (Read 3474 times)

Offline Tambrisha

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Sutton-cum-Duckmanton Parish Registers - REVILL
« on: Thursday 21 July 11 05:10 BST (UK) »
Hello All!

I am trying to research my branch of the Revill family in Derbyshire.  In particular, I'm wanting to research the family of Henry REVILL born about 1794 in Sutton-Cum-Duckmanton and married to Sarah LIEVESLEY on December 31, 1816 in Sutton-Cum-Duckmanton.

My information shows that Henry was illegitimate (whoops!) and therefore, we have been unable to identify who his father, but we believe his mother was Ann REVILL.  I would very much appreciate being able to discover who Ann's parents and, if luck is on my side, grandparents were.

Much thanks in advance for any help!

Tam

Offline sougher

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Sutton-cum-Duckmanton Parish Registers - REVILL
« Reply #1 on: Friday 22 July 11 12:43 BST (UK) »
Some of my maternal ancestors (TURNER) who worked in the iron foundry  business, seem to have originated from Sutton-cum-Duckmanton and I was fortunate to purchase a book published by the Derbyshire Record Society "Sutton-cum-Duckmanton Parish Register 1662-1837" edited by Pamela Kettle and Philip Riden, Derbyshire Record Society Volume XVIII, published 1992.   I have looked up the names you requested i.e. Henry Revill and Ann Revill and have extracted the following information (not always for the same person) regarding these names for you:-

HENRY REVILL
(page 43 of book) Births, 1794.   Henry illegitimate son of Ann REVILL spinster,
   bapt. 23 March.
(page 148).   1827 Henry son of Henry and Sarah Revill (Lievesly) of
   Duckmanton, bapt. 23 July by W. Bradnall.
(page 168).   1832 Henry son of Henry Revill of Duckmanton. bur. 25 March,
   aged 4yrs 8 mths by S. Revell.
(page 174).   1816   Henry Revill batchelor and Sarah Lievisley spinster, both
   of this parish.  mar. 31 December by T. B. Lucas

ANNE (ANN) REVELL (also variations of surname i.e. REVIL, REVILL, RIVEL).
(page 21).     Births 1735.   Anne daughter of John and Ellen Revel
(page 128).   Marriages 1796.  George GOODALL of Ault Hucknall and Anne
   REVELL of this parish, mar 28 November by J. Ashbridge curate
(page 145).  Births 1824.   Ann dau. of John & Ann REVILL (POGMORE)
   of Duckmanton. labourer, bapt. 3 February by A. A. Barker         

I trust that this information helps.   For background history regarding the Foundries at both Sutton-cum-Duckmanton and Old Brampton owned by the Smith family of Sheffield, go to this website which is about the Adelphi foundry at Sutton-cum-Duckmanton:

http://www.oldminer.co.uk/New/Adelphi.htm

Also there is an excellent book about the history of the Smith family and their foundries at Sutton-cum-Duckmanton and Old Brampton, Chesterfield, details of which I will post shortly as I've presently mislaid it.  Briefly when the foundry closed at Duckmanton my ancestors then moved to the foundry at Old Brampton at Chesterfield (as did a lot of other families from Sutton-cum-Duckmanton).   Then the Old Brampton foundry had money problems in the 1830's eventually closing, and my TURNER family then moved down to work at Andrew Handyside's foundry in Derby.   I had no idea that my ancestors came from Sutton-cum-Duckmanton and it has been interesting tracing them.

Offline Tambrisha

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 24 July 11 06:06 BST (UK) »
Thank you very much for this information!  :-)  I am beginning to wonder if I should widen my search for Ann Revill, the two birth records you found in Sutton-cum-Duckmanton would be too old to have been Henry's mother.  The marriage record is interesting; however, perhaps she married a couple of years after Henry was born, but that will always leave the question of whether or not he was Henry's birth father or not.

Thank you again!

Tam

Offline CazaW67

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 07 August 16 03:14 BST (UK) »
Hi, I'm new to this, so hope I'm doing right thing :) Ann Revill is my 2nd Great Grandmother and Harry Revill her son is my Grandfather.  If you would like some information on her family as in Parents, marriages etc let me know :)  Happy to help.

Offline Tambrisha

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 27 May 17 16:26 BST (UK) »
Hi, I'm new to this, so hope I'm doing right thing :) Ann Revill is my 2nd Great Grandmother and Harry Revill her son is my Grandfather.  If you would like some information on her family as in Parents, marriages etc let me know :)  Happy to help.

Hello!  I apologize for not responding for such a long time, I don't know how I overlooked that!  I would love to get some more information on Ann Revill; she has been a mystery for me for some time and I haven't been able to conclusively research further back on her.  Much thanks!

Tam

Offline deoxy

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 24 March 21 01:02 GMT (UK) »
Hello Tam,
There's a baptism for a Nanny Revel daughter of John and Mary 26th June 1774. Wondered if she might preferred to be known as Ann.
Frecknall, Fricknell, Frignal :Anywhere
Stephens: Southampton
Nelson: Sutton cum Duckmanton, Worksop
Frith: Sutton cum Duckmanton
Reeve: Worksop
Guard: Devon, Christchurch, Southampton
Lamble: Devon
Butler: Tredegar, Cork