Author Topic: Whitehaven Town Mission and "slums"  (Read 29858 times)

Offline Jos, Whitehaven

• I am sorry but I have turned off all notifications to my topics
  • RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Whitehaven Town Mission and "slums"
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 08 January 12 20:12 GMT (UK) »
This may assist a little for the original enquiry.

Attached are a couple of modern-day photographs of what I seem to remember some people referred to as Bardy Steps. Would these be the ones also referred to at times as the 'Quay Steps' Geoff-E mentions?

The top of these steps is just below the Whitehaven Town Mission. They lead down to Bardy Lane at the bottom (which now seems to have been officially re-named as Bardywell Lane as it was many years ago).

These photographs were taken in January 2012. The steps can still be distinctly made out, as can some of the "slums". Unlike the 'Mount Steps', photographs of which can be seen earlier, at present it would be unsafe to walk up and down the 'Bardy Steps'.

I had relatives living on Bardy Lane (No 9) until they were re-housed to council housing at Woodhouse in 1934. Apparently,Gt Grandmother Sarah Jane Savage (nee Kinsella) used to have a pet cockatoo in a cage while at Bardy Lane, and it moved to the new house with the family. It is believed this had originally been brought in by one of the boats coming in to Whitehaven harbour. The family also had cats which presumably would have been useful in the harbourside area where there would have been mice and rats to contend with! 

Offline Geoff-E

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 08 January 12 20:47 GMT (UK) »
Hello Jos :)

Attached is a map c1870 showing two main flights of steps and several smaller flights here and there.  I'm afraid I can't name any of them, ancient or modern, but I would imagine those opposite the end of Littledale Lane would be Bardy Steps.
Today I broke my personal record for most consecutive days alive.

Offline Jos, Whitehaven

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 08 January 12 21:04 GMT (UK) »
Is it OK to post old copies of OS maps to this site? I thought they would be queried or excluded by the moderator?

Anyhow, there is another set of steps immediately adjacent to the pumping station / electric lighting station which are still there (at the time of writing at least). This led up to some dwellings from the Bardy Lane level. I am not sure if these steps gave access all the way to the top of 'The Mount'. It is difficult to tell from the present day 'reality' view on the ground and it would probably need looked at on old photographs / maps to check it out.

A photograph of these steps are attached (immediately to the left of the newer brick of the pumping station). 

Offline Geoff-E

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 08 January 12 22:25 GMT (UK) »
Is it OK to post old copies of OS maps to this site?

Probably not Jos, although apparently copyright on OS maps lasts no more than 50 years http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Out-of-copyright_maps

I have a similar pic to yours, taken in September, the dead trampoline was there then, but there were more leaves on the trees. :)

Offline Geoff-E

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 08 January 12 22:46 GMT (UK) »
There's an interesting old photo of West Strand showing several rows of houses on the hillside.  The entrance to Bardy Lane is on the right, White's Lane in the centre and Quay St towards the left.

Offline Jos, Whitehaven

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 09 January 12 23:30 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for posting a very interesting photograph, particularly as it shows "Tansy" Teer's grocery store on the West Strand. This store was still on the go in the 1960s, when I think it was being run by two of the Teer daughters.

It seemed to be a bit like Arkwright's "Open All Hours" and would sell anything. If I remember rightly the property was declared unsafe and the two ladies moved out to retirement on or near Foxhouses Road. Possibly someone has more definite details on what happened?

There were also quite a number of public hostelries around the harbourside where one could get a 'dandelion & burdock' or a 'Vimto'! There may not have been running tap water in each house but other flavoured beverages were available in plenty around this part of town! 

Offline Geoff-E

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 10 January 12 08:42 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for posting a very interesting photograph, particularly as it shows "Tansy" Teer's grocery store on the West Strand. This store was still on the go in the 1960s, when I think it was being run by two of the Teer daughters.

In fact, the 1911 census has two HEAD nieces (Jane and May) assisting in the grocery business.

The "Old West Cumbria" FaceBook group has a more recent, closer, clearer photo of the shop when it was named FM GAIR - she was daughter of a David GAIR

EDIT: The maiden name of Mrs TEER - who had the shop in 1911 - was GAIR.  Rachel GAIR was a sister of David GAIR's.  They were both children of the Harbour master, William GAIR http://tinyurl.com/7po64gz

Offline alkari

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 25 January 12 11:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jos and Geoff

The Bardy steps look very familiar and I recall us having to be careful going down, hanging onto the handrail, even as children. This would have been in the mid-late 70's and I imagine they have deteriorated since then. We would have been going from the Town Mission to the docks with nana and grandda (Nellie and Eddie Truett) with grandda pointing out the homes on the way. I always had the impression that someone in his family had lived there at some stage but have nothing yet to confirm this. Nana was taken in as a child by a childless aunt and uncle connected with the church after her father died in a mining accident at Ullcoats Mine in Egremont.

The Mount steps are also familiar but more from looking up from the docks and feel too big to be the steps in memory. I think these may have been renovated as part of the dockland redevelopment?

Even now I find it hard to believe that whole families lived in such small places.

Thanks again
Al

Offline jubed

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Thursday 26 January 12 13:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi Geoff and Jos, I actually saw this thread a while ago and thought I recognised the name Gair. Have just spoken to my friend and we think that Rachel Gair b approx 1866 is probably her grandma. Her father  who grew up on Mount Pleasant used to speak of Tansy Gair being a cousin and also of a relation  being harbourmaster. We know that his mother was Rachel and the age is right,her married name would have been Leathers. Unfortunately her dad died  4 years ago (2 weeks off his 100th birthday and very alert) as I'm sure he could have answered all your questions
Good luck with all your research Julie :D
Sussex-Bedwell.Perthshire, Stirlingshire-Comrie.East Yorkshire-Berry,Bostock.Cumberland,Durham-Smith,Douglas.