Author Topic: grandfather..thomas joshua james  (Read 12246 times)

Offline cmphipps

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: grandfather..thomas joshua james
« Reply #9 on: Friday 22 July 11 14:24 BST (UK) »
hi ...
 is there any reference as to the  1st wife of christopher and mother to angelina, brothers and sisters.. and could it be possible that kate reeves house keeper:  is also catherine  2'nd wife ,born queenstown ireland..
                                 christine

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 22 July 11 15:29 BST (UK) »
1871 has the answer
Reference RG10, 5516, 32, 28
Brewery Street North, Pembrokr

Poldo, Christopher  Head  M  38  Dealer in Marine Stores  b Tuscany, Italy
Poldo, Jane  Wife  F  28  Corkeston(?), Pembrokeshire
Poldo, Angelina  Daughter  F  7  b Pembroke
Poldo, Elizabeth  Daughter  F  6  b Pembroke
Poldo, William  Son  M  2  b Pembroke Dock
Poldo, Rosanna  Daughter  F  1  b Haverdfordwest

As Queenstown is the port associated with Cork, I would say that Kate did indeed become Mrs Poldo!
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline cmphipps

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 22 July 11 18:54 BST (UK) »
 hello kgarrad ..
 thank you for all your help .. i hope i can call on you again sometime ..
                                with kind regards
                                     chris

Offline Morganllan

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 22 July 11 22:57 BST (UK) »
Hello  :)

Freebmd has the death of Jane Poldo age 31 in 1879 (June Q)
Pembroke volume 11a page 542

http://www.freebmd.org.uk/cgi/search.pl

If you search freebmd for Poldo you will see that several Poldo children died in infancy.  :'(

1871 has the answer.....
Poldo, Jane  Wife  F  28  Corkeston(?), Pembrokeshire
Corkeston is Cosheston

I suspect that she may be Jane Hill born abt 1843, daughter of George and Elizabeth Hill. There is a marriage in 1862 (June Q) of Jane Hill and there is a Christopher Powell  (on the same page), which is a possible, if he anglicised his surname.
Pembroke volume 11a page 886

If you bought one of the older children's birth certificates, you will find out Jane's maiden name. Similarly, a birth certificate for 1 of the younger children will prove whether Kate/Catherine is the same person.

Kind Regards
Morgan

Offline cmphipps

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 24 July 11 14:46 BST (UK) »
hello ..
       and thank you for all your help,i don think it is the same jane as as i have managed to find a census on genes reunite.. this morn started with 50 credits and wow where have they all gone lol..
  as i was saying i found a census 1911 showing christopher poldo married to a sarah .. with 2 children at home arthur 24 and james 16 ..also found record of his  death  in 1924 thus making him a grand age of 98..
 the only one i am having problems with is on the thomas james side in trying to find brothers and others related with the same name as i mentioned earlier that i found a thurza on my parents marriage certificate ..i got this close with tracking down angelina and her 2nd marriage but alas i have not enough credits.. it left me with a benjamin james -frank white and some other ..can't remember the name .. if you have any more suggestions on how to go about it i would be very grateful for your help
                        with kind regards
                                     chris

Offline Morganllan

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 25 July 11 23:54 BST (UK) »
Hello  :)

If you want to find Thomas James in 1881 and earlier, you will have to buy the 1883 marriage certificate (from marriage to Angelian Poldo)
Pembroke volume 11a page 1188a

This will hopefully give the name and occupation of Thomas's Father, and perhaps an address which may prove useful.

Thurza is a fairly unusual name. Do you think that she was your Father's cousin possibly?

Kind Regards
Morgan

Offline cmphipps

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 29 July 11 19:32 BST (UK) »
Hello Morganllan..
Had a visit from a cousin living in the dover area, her husband has been doing research and has proven to be helpful ..
 Have found Thomas Joshua was born on a steam boat  in the Pembroke area.
 he was born to Thomas Griffiths James (widower)
 and Angelina Poldo ..in the year 1886
 Thomas G James was the son of  Ebeneezer James..
  Thomas G was age 36 years  at time of 2nd marriage ..
 but trying to find  first marriage i am having a night mare, as this would explain so much as to the story of angelina, when she  her 2 boys 5yrs and under were forced to go back to live with her father where she is in the 1891 census, there is no  Thomas G there at that time  i think he died at the age of 42..so that got me thinking that if Thomas g had a son by his 1st marriage that child would have been entitled to have his fathers estate. are there any records out there to find this new info of possible half brothers and sisters ..how do i find a birth  marriage and death  on ebeneezer. james..
Thank you all for your help it has been a wonderful journey
                             chris

Offline Morganllan

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 30 July 11 00:18 BST (UK) »
Hello Chris  :)

I found a Thomas James, occupation Shipwright (involved in construction or repair of ships) age 32 on 1881 census, a lodger at 44 Park Street South, Pembroke St Mary. He was born 1848/9 in Hasguard. May be a possibility?

RG11 Piece 5411 Folio 109 Page 20

What was Ebenezer's occupation on Thomas's marriage certificate? There are quite a few Ebenezers on the census records and in BMD records, and we don't know for sure that he came from Pembrokeshire.

If Thomas died before 1891 census (as opposed to being away at sea, don't forget that Angelina is listed as married not widowed on the 1891), he would have had to die between 1889 and 1891 due to the age of their 2 sons. You can check Freebmd for deaths within the expected age range, but it's a very common name and you don't know where Thomas died.

Once you find out where and when Thomas died, you may be able to find Probate records. However  I think it is unlikely that there was any Estate to be inherited by any older son. When Thomas died, Angelina would have had no means to support her family so would face having to live with her Father (or the workhouse).

I'm pleased that you are enjoying your journey and I wish you good luck with your future research.

Kind Regards
Morgan

Offline Llanranger

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 06 September 13 15:06 BST (UK) »
Hi Chris et al

I am a decendant of Christopher Poldo.

His daughter Elizabeth -with his first wife married my great-grandfather Albert Nurcombe.

If you're still following your Poldo lines let me know as I may have info that you're missing and vice-versa.

David