Author Topic: Richmond County School for Girls richmond  (Read 8313 times)

Offline Ringrose

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Richmond County School for Girls richmond
« on: Thursday 21 July 11 17:01 BST (UK) »
Anyone who attended Richmond County School For Girlls,Parkshot Richmondwould be interested to read a chapter about the school and it's teachers and discipline in the late 40s and early 50s.The account in this book by Dorothea Whitehorne Part of the Ocean"brought back vivid memories of my time there.The strict Headmistress Margaret Scudamore is mentioned various times.
The book is 500 pages long and tells the story of a post war childhood of a Jewish Family from Germany.
Ringrose
Mann Ringrose Prior( West London)Prior (Halstead Colchester and Sudbury)Ringrose (Northants) Clark(sussex  Bath)Light(Shropshire West London)Barber(Northants)Gaudern (Northants)Piper(Suffolk)Carter (Essex)Nightingale,Stiles,Dunk,Hedgecock(Kent)Mann(south Devon )Le Cronier,Le Quesne,Poingdestre,Esnouf,Le Guyt,Anley.Le Carteret(Jersey)Clark(Bath,Batcombe,and Nyland )
er(essex)Nightingale(kent Sussex)Sutton (sussex)

Offline redcoat2

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Richmond County School for Girls richmond
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 04 July 12 22:01 BST (UK) »
I was there from 1932 to 1942 and remember Miss Scudamore well.   

Jeanne

Offline Ringrose

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 05 July 12 07:44 BST (UK) »
My time there was 1955 to 1957 .Scuds as she was know by did keep law and order  and onmy time always wore black.
The building is still there but I think now is a place of further education.About 15 years ago at an old girls meeting a few of us went in the building and the old hall still had its plaque of successful girls who got to Cambridge and Oxford.
Ringrose

Mann Ringrose Prior( West London)Prior (Halstead Colchester and Sudbury)Ringrose (Northants) Clark(sussex  Bath)Light(Shropshire West London)Barber(Northants)Gaudern (Northants)Piper(Suffolk)Carter (Essex)Nightingale,Stiles,Dunk,Hedgecock(Kent)Mann(south Devon )Le Cronier,Le Quesne,Poingdestre,Esnouf,Le Guyt,Anley.Le Carteret(Jersey)Clark(Bath,Batcombe,and Nyland )

Offline redcoat2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 05 July 12 17:58 BST (UK) »
I will certainly try to trace the book you mention.  It sounds interesting.  From your information about an old girls meeting in the past it sounds as though there is an association?   Is there a contact or email address?   I am still in touch with a friend who started i n the Kindergarten on the same day as me- she would also be interested I'm sure.   Thanks for your help.

Offline Ringrose

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 05 July 12 19:01 BST (UK) »
There were 2 gettogethers .One about 15 years ago was organised by someone in my year and it was basically the years either side.Anothet was arranged but it was ll girls who were there in the 70s.
I don't know of any organisation.I did not realise it was a kindergarten.I went there at 11 after the 11plus.
Sorry I can be of no help
Ringrose

Offline m1chael

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 28 November 15 10:30 GMT (UK) »
Just found your conversation and it brought back lovely memories.  I was only there during 1958-59.  Do you remember the music teacher who brought her little dog into assembly each day and placed it on the grand piano?  And do you also remember Blackies from which we were banned whether or not wearing our hats?  I still have my hat in the wardrobe!  My daughter finds the thought of wearing divided skirts rather than shorts unbelievable - especially when even they had to be not far above the knees.  Thank you for your conversations - I've really enjoyed them.

Offline Ringrose

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 29 November 15 10:02 GMT (UK) »
Interesting to read your post.You were a few years beyond the time I left so I imagine some of the staff had changed too.I remembervMrs Davies who taught Music.Miss Atkinson who taught Chemistry and we weren't too taken with her,Miss Woodall who again was very strict and taught Latin.Quite liked Miss Wise who was Maths and I think there was a Miss Golding.Every term we had to walk across the gym with a book on our head ....and those awful showers which you couldn't avoid .I was in Swan House ..blue and we wore blue small checked dresses in the Summer.The dresses matched the colour of the house you were in.
Recently I read a book called Part of the Ocean by Dorothy Whitehorne, which tells the story of Dorothy Sinzheimer.Her Jewish family settled in Richmond and it tells of her problems growing up and her life story.One chapter is devoted to The County and she tells stories of the teachers etc.She was taken under the wing of Miss Hartley the History teacher.I certainly brought back memories.
If you would like to send me a personal message with you email I will send you a few pages which might interest you.All the teachers Ive mentioned are there but they might have left by the time you started.
Scuds told my parents I had three options for a career....Secretarial,Nursing or teaching .I chose teaching which thankfully I enjoyed until 20 years ago when I gave up.
Ringrose

Offline Lizard Head

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 27 July 16 21:27 BST (UK) »
Now in my 80th year, I have been turning out old photos. I was Veronica Devon at school. Forever grateful to Miss Scudamore for giving me a place. I missed the 11 plus exams as I had mumps, so had a test at the school and an interview.
The war had interrupted my education, as had short sightedness and no glasses! so I trailed in the D stream for some time. Richmond was very good to me, and I was very happy there - particularly during the school holidays! The swimming pool next door was much appreciated too.
My family were short of money, and I acted a science technician during the lunch hours and after school.  I think I left Richmond in 1954. I went on to train as an occupational therapist, and after marrying and having a family, I retrained as a teacher, working in the Prison Service and hospitals.
We now live in Cornwall, as far south as you can get - overlooking Old Lizard Head. Our children have and are living all over England, and the world. They too benefited to the start in life Richmond gave me. Bring back grammar schools I say, and give other kids a better start in life.

Offline Ringrose

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 28 July 16 12:44 BST (UK) »
I do remember you ...have sent you a personal message
Ringrose