Author Topic: The Holyland thread!  (Read 33606 times)

Offline Taylor94

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My grt grt grandfather, after capture WW1
    • View Profile
Re: The HOLYLAND thread!
« Reply #54 on: Thursday 09 November 17 14:30 GMT (UK) »
Found a bapt record for a Thomas Holyland 26 Dec 1732 Desford son of William and Mary.
This would tie in with his will in 1803 Desford as it gives the same parents of his brothers Fulshaw and Richard listed in the will.
But ages dont match up unless he married and had a child in his 60s so there must be another generation perhaps?
Richard Dudley of Cosby. Gent
George Bent of Cosby. Gent
William Black of Kilby. Gent
Bernard Cotton of Dadlington. Esq
Sir Thomas Halford of Wistow. Bart
Richard Swynfen of Sutton Cheney. Gent
John Cotes of Aylestone. Gent
John Freeston of East Norton. Gent
Sir John Bernard of Abington.
Edward Shuckburgh of Naseby. Esq
Richard Worsley of Deeping. Esq
Thomas Hobson of Glen. Gent
John Grant of Stretton Parva. Gent
John Miles of Heanley Hall. Gent
Thomas Dabridgecourt. Esq
Sir Clement Edmondes

Offline Annie65115

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • HOLYLAND regd with guild of one name studies
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Thursday 09 November 17 14:42 GMT (UK) »
I've got lots of jottings about Holylands and they are all rather confusing. but I can see that William H, a butcher of Desford, left his will in 1762 naming his sons Thomas, William, Richard, John and Fulshaw, and his daughters Jane Burgesse and Mary Sharpe. Not sure that that gets us anywhere but I offer it as a potential piece in the jigsaw!
Bradbury (Sedgeley, Bilston, Warrington)
Cooper (Sedgeley, Bilston)
Kilner/Kilmer (Leic, Notts)
Greenfield (Liverpool)
Holyland (Anywhere and everywhere, also Holiland Holliland Hollyland)
Pryce/Price (Welshpool, Liverpool)
Rawson (Leicester)
Upton (Desford, Leics)
Partrick (Vera and George, Leicester)
Marshall (Westmorland, Cheshire/Leicester)

Offline Thooperfly

• RootsChat Member
  • English conversation tutor in France.
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Thursday 09 November 17 14:44 GMT (UK) »
I've got lots of jottings about Holylands and they are all rather confusing. but I can see that William H, a butcher of Desford, left his will in 1762 naming his sons Thomas, William, Richard, John and Fulshaw, and his daughters Jane Burgesse and Mary Sharpe. Not sure that that gets us anywhere but I offer it as a potential piece in the jigsaw!

:o ::) ;D
Nelson / Fisher - Leics (Leicester, Shepshed, Hathern, Loughborough & Hinckley). Notts. Lowdham. Warks. Nuneaton, Chilvers Coton.
Timson - Leics (Enderby & Croft).
Holyland [Name adopted 1863] - Leics (Leicester, Barrow Upon Soar & Rothley).
Doolan [Name adopted 1899] / Fisher / Munson / Pettican - Essex (Colchester & Layer de la Haye)
Briant - Brantôme & Périgueux, Dordogne (France)
Soulette - Saint Pons de Thomières, Hérault (France)

Offline Annie65115

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • HOLYLAND regd with guild of one name studies
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Thursday 09 November 17 14:47 GMT (UK) »
And (also from wills), that William (d 1762) seems to have had a brother Thomas (also a butcher in Desford), a brother John, a baker in Dunton, and a brother Christopher of Market Bosworth, who was a publican.

Then there was another William who was a butcher and farmer in Desford, who had a brother Richarrd, also a butcher, and whose will was dated 1788;

I don't seem to have much about the next generation in Desford, probably because my lot had left there by then.
Bradbury (Sedgeley, Bilston, Warrington)
Cooper (Sedgeley, Bilston)
Kilner/Kilmer (Leic, Notts)
Greenfield (Liverpool)
Holyland (Anywhere and everywhere, also Holiland Holliland Hollyland)
Pryce/Price (Welshpool, Liverpool)
Rawson (Leicester)
Upton (Desford, Leics)
Partrick (Vera and George, Leicester)
Marshall (Westmorland, Cheshire/Leicester)

Offline Thooperfly

• RootsChat Member
  • English conversation tutor in France.
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Thursday 09 November 17 15:09 GMT (UK) »
And (also from wills), that William (d 1762) seems to have had a brother Thomas (also a butcher in Desford), a brother John, a baker in Dunton, and a brother Christopher of Market Bosworth, who was a publican.

Then there was another William who was a butcher and farmer in Desford, who had a brother Richarrd, also a butcher, and whose will was dated 1788;

I don't seem to have much about the next generation in Desford, probably because my lot had left there by then.

I suppose my interest in the Desford Holyland's is a bit superficial, as for my line, the family name was adopted in 1863 through Fulshaw Holyland (b. Saint Margarets', Leicester 1843 d. Leicester Union Workhouse on Swain Street in 1919). His father (another) Fulshaw (b Leicester 1816 d Charnwood Street, Leicester 1877) had parents who were from Desford. William Holyland (1783-1857) and Hannah née Jacques 1782-1857). The parents were both born in the village and also died there. So they must have come to Leicester for some reason, had Fulshaw, then returned back later in life. So I suppose that was the earliest Leicester connection where my adopted family "line" was concerned.

The other odd thing concerning Fulshaw (1843-1919). As I have perhaps mentioned before, he adopted my 2 x Great Grandfather Simeon Norman (1860-1902) around 1863. I don't know if this was an official adoption as in a later newspaper article where Simeon was up in front of the magistrates for having stolen from a shop, he is listed as Simeon Norman "alias" Holyland. Futhermore, Simeons' mother Jane Norman also has a Holyland connection, in that her mother Frances' maiden name was Holyland or Holiland. Frances came from Ashby Folville.

So Jane's hubby to all intense and purposes had the same family name as her mother(!)

I also get the impression that Jane probably went with Fulshaw so she could get out of Mountsorrel workhouse... where she was born in 1844.

John.
Nelson / Fisher - Leics (Leicester, Shepshed, Hathern, Loughborough & Hinckley). Notts. Lowdham. Warks. Nuneaton, Chilvers Coton.
Timson - Leics (Enderby & Croft).
Holyland [Name adopted 1863] - Leics (Leicester, Barrow Upon Soar & Rothley).
Doolan [Name adopted 1899] / Fisher / Munson / Pettican - Essex (Colchester & Layer de la Haye)
Briant - Brantôme & Périgueux, Dordogne (France)
Soulette - Saint Pons de Thomières, Hérault (France)

Offline Ianhols

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Tuesday 21 November 17 20:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
I have Holyland's on my tree, Thomas Holyland came from Blably,he married Elizabeth Rask, son Thomas
born 1779 Blaby married Elizabeth Doubleday, children Theodosia born Cossington, married Thomas Bevan of Syston.Thomas and Elizabeth had 3 children. After the last child Thomas just disappeared.
Can someone please do look up for me
Blaby PR for Holyland's, needing  Thomas's 1722 parents please.
Thanks

Hi pcjr

I have just found this post , is there anyway I can chat with you as I am currently researching my family and have come to the same point as you did/have

Offline Taylor94

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My grt grt grandfather, after capture WW1
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: Tuesday 21 November 17 22:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ian
I don't suppose you have any info on the Thomas Holyland bapt 1760 blaby, son of Thomas and Elizabeth? I think this could be my Thomas who married Sarah Croson/Crowson in desford 1793.
Richard Dudley of Cosby. Gent
George Bent of Cosby. Gent
William Black of Kilby. Gent
Bernard Cotton of Dadlington. Esq
Sir Thomas Halford of Wistow. Bart
Richard Swynfen of Sutton Cheney. Gent
John Cotes of Aylestone. Gent
John Freeston of East Norton. Gent
Sir John Bernard of Abington.
Edward Shuckburgh of Naseby. Esq
Richard Worsley of Deeping. Esq
Thomas Hobson of Glen. Gent
John Grant of Stretton Parva. Gent
John Miles of Heanley Hall. Gent
Thomas Dabridgecourt. Esq
Sir Clement Edmondes

Offline Ianhols

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: Tuesday 21 November 17 23:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi fenboy

Can I come back to you tomorrow...there were two thomas's

Offline Ianhols

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: Wednesday 22 November 17 07:55 GMT (UK) »
Sorry. The Thomas Holyland who was bapt Blaby 9 Jun: 1760 (my direct ancestor) married twice – Mary Brown 18 July:1784  (2 children) buried 17 Nov: 1802 and Mary Kenney 17 Jan: 1803 (5 children) – all at Blaby.

Hope that helps