Author Topic: The Holyland thread!  (Read 33604 times)

Offline Annie65115

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • HOLYLAND regd with guild of one name studies
    • View Profile
Re: The HOLYLAND thread!
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 19 August 15 21:37 BST (UK) »
From the Leic Mercury:
23 Aug 1845: Fulshaw Holyland (+ others) charged with using obscene language - bound over for 2 months.

15 Nov 1851 - Fulshaw Holyland charged with being in the cellar of Messrs Hartopp and Noon's warehouse for an unlawful purpose. (found drunkenly asleep in the cellar!) Sentence 5/- for being drunk or as default put in the stocks for 6 hours. (I didn't know they still used the stocks at this time!)

30 march 1860 - pleaded guilty (with others) to stealing a bottle and a half a pound of sweetmeats (peppermint rock) from a shop in Archdeacon Lane. Holyland's father was called and said that till the last few weeks his son had always been a good lad. Another witness gave Holyland a good character. Sentenced to 1 month's hard labour.
(so clearly dealing with the next generation here!)

11 may 1861 - Charged with leaving his 2 children chargeable to the parish of St Margaret on Nov 29. The children were left in the street by defendant's wife and were in the workhouse 26 days, and 10 of the days the wife and a younger child were also in. Defendant said he had gone to Nottingham to look for work and since been in the workhouse Discharged.

Bradbury (Sedgeley, Bilston, Warrington)
Cooper (Sedgeley, Bilston)
Kilner/Kilmer (Leic, Notts)
Greenfield (Liverpool)
Holyland (Anywhere and everywhere, also Holiland Holliland Hollyland)
Pryce/Price (Welshpool, Liverpool)
Rawson (Leicester)
Upton (Desford, Leics)
Partrick (Vera and George, Leicester)
Marshall (Westmorland, Cheshire/Leicester)

Offline Annie65115

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 19 August 15 21:42 BST (UK) »
And there's more

The following from Leic Chronicle:
24 Aug 1867: Fulshaw Holyland the elder and Karan H his wife charged with assaulting Jane H the wife of Fulshaw the younger. A cross warrant accused Jane of assaulting Karan. A longish and rather garbled report - alcohol seems to have been involved!

24 April 1875: Fulshaw H was chargd with refusing to quit the licensed premises of Joseph Bell, Birstall St; fined 21/- or 14 days hard labour.

17 Feb 1877: death on the 10 Feb at Charnwood St, Fulshaw Holyland age 63.
Greenfield (Liverpool)
Rawson (Leicester)
Upton (Desford, Leics)

Offline Annie65115

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 19 August 15 21:45 BST (UK) »
19 Aug 1876 - Simeon Norman alias Simeon Holyland pleaded guilty to stealing a quantity of apples of the value of 9d at Birstall - fined 5/-, damages 9d, and 15/- costs, or 7 days.
Greenfield (Liverpool)
Rawson (Leicester)
Upton (Desford, Leics)

Offline Thooperfly

• RootsChat Member
  • English conversation tutor in France.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 20 August 15 07:38 BST (UK) »
From the Leic Mercury:
23 Aug 1845: Fulshaw Holyland (+ others) charged with using obscene language - bound over for 2 months.

15 Nov 1851 - Fulshaw Holyland charged with being in the cellar of Messrs Hartopp and Noon's warehouse for an unlawful purpose. (found drunkenly asleep in the cellar!) Sentence 5/- for being drunk or as default put in the stocks for 6 hours. (I didn't know they still used the stocks at this time!)

30 march 1860 - pleaded guilty (with others) to stealing a bottle and a half a pound of sweetmeats (peppermint rock) from a shop in Archdeacon Lane. Holyland's father was called and said that till the last few weeks his son had always been a good lad. Another witness gave Holyland a good character. Sentenced to 1 month's hard labour.
(so clearly dealing with the next generation here!)

11 may 1861 - Charged with leaving his 2 children chargeable to the parish of St Margaret on Nov 29. The children were left in the street by defendant's wife and were in the workhouse 26 days, and 10 of the days the wife and a younger child were also in. Defendant said he had gone to Nottingham to look for work and since been in the workhouse Discharged.

Bloody hell!

Thanks for all that... They were pretty dysfunctional then as a family back in the mid 1800's. Perhaps they had trouble adapting to city life?

It is hilarious now, to read about their antics, but probably far from funny back then. Seems they were a bunch of alcholics. Sad that at one stage Fulshaw's wife decided to abandon her children in the street - I suppose that if he naffed off to Nottingham, she was struggling to cope.
By co-inicidence, last night I found the record of Karan being in the Leicester Union Workhouse.

When I look at this, I couldn't imagine abandoning my own kids in the street... although it is sometimes tempting (joking).  ;D
Nelson / Fisher - Leics (Leicester, Shepshed, Hathern, Loughborough & Hinckley). Notts. Lowdham. Warks. Nuneaton, Chilvers Coton.
Timson - Leics (Enderby & Croft).
Holyland [Name adopted 1863] - Leics (Leicester, Barrow Upon Soar & Rothley).
Doolan [Name adopted 1899] / Fisher / Munson / Pettican - Essex (Colchester & Layer de la Haye)
Briant - Brantôme & Périgueux, Dordogne (France)
Soulette - Saint Pons de Thomières, Hérault (France)

Offline Thooperfly

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 21 August 15 12:08 BST (UK) »
I have started a group on Facebook for my immediate family and anyone interested in the following names and places...

Family names: Nelson, Briant, Holyland, Soulette, Timson, Doolan, Fisher, Munson, Harnett & Ford.
Places:
UK: Leicester, Desford, Enderby, Colchester, Wolverhampton, Coventry, Loughborough, Islington (London), Edinburgh.
France: Brantôme, Monsec, Périgueux (Dordogne) & Saint Pons de Thomières (Hérault).
Nelson / Fisher - Leics (Leicester, Shepshed, Hathern, Loughborough & Hinckley). Notts. Lowdham. Warks. Nuneaton, Chilvers Coton.
Doolan [Name adopted 1899] / Fisher / Munson / Pettican - Essex (Colchester & Layer de la Haye)

Offline Thooperfly

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 06 September 15 10:08 BST (UK) »
I have started a group on Facebook for my immediate family and anyone interested in the following names and places...

Family names: Nelson, Briant, Holyland, Soulette, Timson, Doolan, Fisher, Munson, Harnett & Ford.
Places:
UK: Leicester, Desford, Enderby, Colchester, Wolverhampton, Coventry, Loughborough, Islington (London), Edinburgh.
France: Brantôme, Monsec, Périgueux (Dordogne) & Saint Pons de Thomières (Hérault).

I have since closed my Facebook account and thus this group.

Offline Thooperfly

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 06 September 15 10:12 BST (UK) »
19 Aug 1876 - Simeon Norman alias Simeon Holyland pleaded guilty to stealing a quantity of apples of the value of 9d at Birstall - fined 5/-, damages 9d, and 15/- costs, or 7 days.

Have since taken out a months subscription at the British Newspaper Archive site - where I've found a few other articles concerning the adventures of the Holylands. :)

Offline treegirl

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 26 November 15 15:31 GMT (UK) »
I have the dubious honour of Fulshaw H in my family tree too!

He was brother of my 4xg grandmother, Jane TILLSON nee HOLYLAND. I have sketchy information about this side of the family - I'm not sure that the family Jane married into was much better  ;)

I would be interested in hearing any more you know about him and his family!

TreeGirl :)

Offline Thooperfly

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 26 November 15 17:04 GMT (UK) »
I have the dubious honour of Fulshaw H in my family tree too!

He was brother of my 4xg grandmother, Jane TILLSON nee HOLYLAND. I have sketchy information about this side of the family - I'm not sure that the family Jane married into was much better  ;)

I would be interested in hearing any more you know about him and his family!

TreeGirl :)

Hi TreeGirl,

I have two Fulshaw Holyland's in my family tree. One 1843-1919 and his father 1816-1877 - they were my 4x & 3x Great Grandfathers.
Although, neither has a Jane Holyland as a sister on my tree (unless I missed her).

The more recent Fulshaw was married to a Jane, although I do not have her maiden name nor date of death. She was born around 1845 in Mountsorrel.
This Fulshaw's father was born in Desford and was the first generation to move to Leicester.

HTH

John.