Author Topic: Robertson  (Read 4977 times)

Offline davidr970

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Robertson
« on: Sunday 24 July 11 15:32 BST (UK) »
Hi there

Looking for a little help with my Great x4 Grandfather, David Robertson, born 4th Mar 1761 in Abdie Fife, Married an Elizabeth (Betty) either Gorm or Oram, have found both in my searches, could be a typo, in 24 May 1793 in Collessie Fife don't have death dates for either of them. They had 3 sons, Robert, Peter and  David born 1796, 1798 & 1801.

Any help on their families would be great, Robert is my direct line ancestor but i have nothing about Peter and David.

thanks

David

Offline bairn359

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Robertson
« Reply #1 on: Monday 25 July 11 15:02 BST (UK) »
Peter Robertson christened 13 Aug 1798    Flisk, Fife
David Robertson christened 1 Feb 1801   Balingry, Fife

This could be David and his mother on the 1841 census?.. 

1841 census
Crossgates, Cameron, Fife

David Robertson    M       40 Fewar Spirit Dealer    Fife        
Betty Robertson   F       80              Fife       
Ann Robertson       F       45           Fife       
William Robertson    M       15            Fife
Marks (cornwall, devon), Pennie (stirlingshire),
Robertson (perthshire, scotland), Swanston (roxburghshire, berwickshire)

Offline bind560

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 22 November 11 12:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi there

Looking for a little help with my Great x4 Grandfather, David Robertson, born 4th Mar 1761 in Abdie Fife, Married an Elizabeth (Betty) either Gorm or Oram, have found both in my searches, could be a typo, in 24 May 1793 in Collessie Fife don't have death dates for either of them. They had 3 sons, Robert, Peter and  David born 1796, 1798 & 1801.

Any help on their families would be great, Robert is my direct line ancestor but i have nothing about Peter and David.

thanks

David

Offline bind560

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 22 November 11 12:24 GMT (UK) »
David, I believe we share our Robertson ancestry. Robert Robertson born 17 January 1796 in Abdie Fife, is my great, great grandfather. He married Margaret Cran in 1833 at Chapel of Garioch. They later moved to Portsoy. Their son, Alexander, born 27 March 1842 married May Gaudie on 24 December 1864 in Portsoy.

I got info from the OPR held at Cupar Library on the birth of Robert, "baptised lawful son to David Robertson and Berry Gorm in Berryhole. (I have not been able to find out what or where Berryhole is.

I also found the marriage of David Robertson in the parish of Collessie and Betty Gorm in this parish (?Abdie) in order marriage on 24 May 1792.

If  you think this is your line then we can perhaps fill in some of the gaps. I did not know that Robert had 2 brothers. I have not found anything about Betty Gorm. But I understand from the IGI that David Robertson was an "agricultural contractor".

Thanks

Offline davidr970

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 23 November 11 18:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Thanks for getting in touch, David and Betty are as far as I have got,

I got the details for David and Peter from Scotlands People they were born in Fife, David in Ballingry and Peter in Flisk.

Your dates tie in with mine although I have them married in 1793, so is Alexander and May your direct line?

It would be great if you let me know what info you are looking for and I'll see what I have.

thanks

David

Offline bind560

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 24 November 11 16:22 GMT (UK) »
Good, we seem to be working on the same family. I have been doing family research on my father's side for over 30 years, and have dipped in an out. I suppose I have found quite a few details and it is only when I revisit my notes that I find I know more than I thought. In an old tree that I wrote up I had the possible name of David's father, John Robertson, who married a Helene McNaughton on 2 May 1740 but I have not checked this for some time.

To return to Robert Robertson: he and and Margaret Cran seem to have had 7 children, Ann Margaret, born Rayne 1834, George Gelland born Rayne 1837 [these two seem to be separate from the following children so I have queries there], Alexander born 1842 (my great grandfather), Margaret born 11 June 1845, James born 1848, Isabella born 1855 and William born 4 May 1857 - all in Portsoy. Do you have more precise details of any of these and which  of them is your direct line?

May Gaudie (great grandmother) had two illegitimate children before she married Alexander: May Bremner born 17 January 1855, father: William Bremner a farm servant and Henry Gordon born 15 May 1859, father: Charles Gordon. May Gaudie and Alexander had two children: Joanne Allan (my grandmother) born 16 June 1870 and Mary born 12 October 1872 all in Portsoy. Alexander moved to Aberdeen to look for work. He worked for the Harbour Board all his life and asked - at the age of 69 - if he could retire because of poor health. This was agreed (I have a copy of minutes) and he died 3 months later.

I have some details of Margaret Cran's family, but maybe you already have these.

I belong to both the Aberdeen & NE Scotland FHS and the Fife FHS. Living south of the border poses limitations on research although the internet has made a tremendous impact.

I am currently in contact with a branch of the family in New Zealand who hold WW1 medals and discharge papers of my grandfather who married Joanne Allan Robertson.

Offline davidr970

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 24 November 11 19:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I’m a bit like that with the tree, I pop in and get a bit done and then leave it for a while as well. I checked Scotland’s People and I got David’s details but they were very hard to read. I have nothing about David’s parents.

Okay on Robert I have a slightly different family, I have Ann Margaret & George Gellan born in Rayne, so I have them as well, Mary born 1838, Hellen born 1839, Alexander, Margaret (my direct line), James, Isabella and William. I have did some research and it looks as though Robert was chasing the work and ended up in Portsoy so that is why the first lot of kids were born outside Portsoy. I have more information on Alexander’s siblings, my info on Ann and George is limited, as those names were pretty common at the time so I am not sure about the info I have on them.

I think that Ann Margaret married someone called Innes, George I have had no luck at all, Mary died aged 11, Hellen married a someone called Christie and died in Peterhead aged 92, I have the details of May and Alexander and the kids before she married Alexander and a fair bit down that tree who are your parents?

I have a fair bit on Margaret Cran’s family, I have been to the Scotlands People centre in Edinburgh a few times as well as Portsoy and it is well worth a visit. Who are the New Zealand members are they Robertson’s as well? 

Cheers

David

Offline bind560

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 06 December 11 11:01 GMT (UK) »
I did reply to your post of 24 Nov but got interrupted in the middle and so seem to have lost all I wrote. I will in future write in word and then import it until I find a better way of responding.

I am delighted to know that you have more info on the Crans and that there were more siblings of Alexander than I knew of. I shall try to add what you have told me to my tree and perhaps email it to you.

The New Zealand family are all called Dean as my father's mother - Joanne Allen Robertson - married a James Dane and for some reason he changed his name from Dane to Dean. He was born of Irish immigrant parents in North Shields in 1869 and so the NZ family all descended from one of his sons, Thomas.

I shall have to resume this research after Christmas and will be in touch again then.

Best wishes

Offline boltz1972

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 11 November 16 23:32 GMT (UK) »
Google brought me here after searching "Alexander McGruer Robertson" who I think is my great-grandfather. I say "think" because I may have had the wrong Alexander McGruer in my tree for a long time until very recently. Alexander McGruer married Jessie McLauchlan on 18 Jan 1898 in Portsoy, one of their children is Robert McGruer born 4 May 1903 died 1979 - my grandfather.

I've transcribed what I've seen on this thread into my Ancestry family tree. Would like to know which Robertson you're descended from, which I think would make you a cousin - Margaret Robertson (b. 11 Jun 1845) is my great-great-grandmother. On Alexander's marriage record to Jessie in 1898, it says that she was deceased by then.
Zeglicki/Zeglicka
Sudacki/Sudacka
McGruer
Farquhar