Author Topic: Craig family, Belfast Antrim  (Read 5716 times)

Offline gcra

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Craig family, Belfast Antrim
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 24 July 11 23:59 BST (UK) »
Thanks aghadowey.

I appreciate your comments and I guess this is not the place to look for living relatives  Can you give me any advice on where I might find such information.  I am not really interested in dead relative..well...I am, but I dearly want to find living relatives and get to know them.  That why I posted the photo, hoping that a living relative might see it.

I don't want to do anything inappropriate on this forum.  Is there another place I should be posting.

Thanks for your assistance.

gcra

Online aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 25 July 11 00:01 BST (UK) »
There are hints for looking for living relatives in the Help pages but you'll need to have an idea of names to search sites such as Facebook.
http://www.rootschat.com/help/posting_guide.php#living
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline gcra

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 25 July 11 03:01 BST (UK) »
Thanks aghadowey.  You have been more than patient with me.  I don't use Facebook but I did email the Salvation Army in Ireland to see if they could steer me in the right direction.  I realize there are privacy issues involved in tracing "living" relatives.  I have no ulterior motives in wanting to find them, other than a keen interest in getting to know them.  I am hoping that the feeling would be the same for them.

I've been at this for quite a few years.   Perhaps running an ad in a Belfast paper would do the trick, but that may prove costly.  I just wish somebody would see my post and contact me.

Thanks again for your help.

gcra

Online aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 25 July 11 07:59 BST (UK) »
I think the Salvation Army will only try to trace close family members  which is not the case here.
Some newspapers will publish human interest stories such as people trying to find more distant connections (don't bother paying for an advertisement which many people won't see or respond to) but often I've heard people say they saw i the newspaper someone was looking for their family but the didn't bother replying. Not sure what would be the best paper but perhaps someone will be able to make suggestions.

Offline gcra

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 25 July 11 12:04 BST (UK) »
Thanks aghadowey.  Gosh, I hate to drop all of this and just quit.  But there seems to be no solution.  Maybe there's a chat place or a forum.  I'll keep trying.  There must be someone in Ireland who wants to learn about their long lost relative who ended up in Canada.  It is so frustrating.

Suppose I could write to a few of the Craig names listed in a phone book.

Anyhow, I better drop this and not bother you again.  But I once again want to thank you for all your help.   :)

gcra

Online aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 25 July 11 12:40 BST (UK) »
Unfortunately, Craig is a very common surname in Ulster.
It can be more difficult researching families in a city like Belfast. In the country neighbours still remmeber lots of stories and information whilst Belfast has changed so much, especially since World War II- neighbourhoods were bombed and later rebuilt, families had to re-locate to different areas and since the late 1960s Belfast has again seen many changes which make searching for relatives difficult.

Offline Clab

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 29 September 18 17:09 BST (UK) »
Are you still looking? I realise 7years have passed since this post!
Clab