Author Topic: Farrell, Saint Peter's parish, Drogheda  (Read 16692 times)

Offline alexb123

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Farrell, Saint Peter's parish, Drogheda
« on: Sunday 24 July 11 19:16 BST (UK) »
Hello, am new here, and am looking for any information on Bridget Farrell, daughter of William and Julia (nee Dolan), sister of Bernard Farrell, William Farrell, Jane, Julia, Julia. Bridget is on 1901 census at North Road, Fairgate, Louth age 16.

I am particularly looking for birth information - born 31 January, or marriage banns. And any information on parents or siblings.

Any help or information would be much appreciated. Thanks in anticipation. :)

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Farrell, Saint Peter's parish, Drogheda
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 24 July 11 19:38 BST (UK) »
Is this your Bridget with her family on the 1901 census ?

Farrell household - 1901

Based on her age in 1901 Bridget's year of birth would be about 1885, so the best place to start the search is in Civil Records ...

this BMD Index reference looks like the best match :

Name:   Bridget Farrell
  Registration district:   Drogheda
  Event type: Birth
  Quarter and year: Jan-Mar 1885
  Volume :   2 / Page : 452

The next closest match is a Bridget Farrell born in the same district, in the Oct-Dec quarter of 1884 - volume 2 / page 409

see :

Introduction to Irish Records
  Ordering Certs from GRO Roscommon
  Details included on a Birth Cert

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline alexb123

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 24 July 11 20:21 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your reply Shane.

The link to the 1901 census is the Bridget that I found too, and is hopefully the right one.

Sorry to be a bit thick, but I have not done this before. From the information you have sent, can I tell whether the birth date was 31 January (which I know is correct), or do I have to order a birth certificate and see if it is her.

Also is there any way that I can access parish records of marriage banns for her. I think that she may have left Drogheda immediately before, or shortly  after a brief marriage.

Thanks

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 24 July 11 20:38 BST (UK) »
You have to order the cert to see the additional details, like date of birth, father's occupation, place of birth, parents names etc

I dont know details of any RC Marriage Banns records, but you could search for a civil marriage on the BMD Index - see the link in the Introduction Topic.

Have you found Bridget on the 1911 census ?

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline alexb123

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 24 July 11 20:56 BST (UK) »
She isn't on the 1911 census in Drogheda although her family still are.

I believe that she left for England between 1901 and 1911, but I have no idea when.

I will try to find a marriage in Ireland for her, as you suggest.

Thanks,

Alex

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 24 July 11 21:04 BST (UK) »
there are quite a few Bridget Farrell marriages in Ireland between 1901 and 1911 - see : link

just one in the Drogheda registration district... might be worth a gamble if you think she married in the area to see if there's a match to her father's name, occupation etc

Name: Bridget Farrell
  Registration District:   Drogheda
  event type: Marriage
  Quarter and year: Jan-Mar 1910
  Volume : 2 / Page : 411

see :

Details included on a Marriage Cert

Shane
My Surname Interests

Offline alexb123

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 24 July 11 22:36 BST (UK) »
Hi Shane,

Thanks for the marriage info, it will be worthwhile checking as it is the only one in Drogheda for that name. The date seems a little late, as I think she may have been in England for at least part of 1910. I have looked at the other marriages and Dublin seems the only other possibility, but there are so many of them over such a long period.  I think she lived in Dan Laoghaire for a short time. Apologies if this is a very stupid question, but is that in 'Dublin'

It would help if I knew when she left Ireland, are there any records of people moving from Ireland to England at this time?
Regards

Alex

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 24 July 11 22:41 BST (UK) »
Dún Laoghaire (formerly Kingstown) is in south county Dublin, about 12km (c7 miles) south east of the city centre.

The registration district which covers it is Rathdown.

There are no records of people travelling between England and Ireland. Before Independence in 1922 Ireland was part of the UK, and after this we were part of a free-travel area, so no travel document were required.

Shane
My Surname Interests

Offline alexb123

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 18 August 11 06:56 BST (UK) »
I have received the birth certificate suggested for Bridget Farrell. The details tie into the 1901 census record. However the older member of the family are unconvinced that it is our relative.

The date of birth is 25th rather than 31st January, (registered on 30th), and she celebrated her birthday on the 31st all her life. On her marriage certificate she said that her father was a brewer, this man is a labourer.

Their final 'objection' is that whilst she said that her elder sister was born in Drogheda, she said she was born in Dan Laoghaire. (I could not find a Bridget Farrell there in the 1901 census).

On a positive note the names of the parents seem correct, surely there couldn't be another Bridget Farrell of a similar age with those parent names?