Author Topic: Farrell, Saint Peter's parish, Drogheda  (Read 16693 times)

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Farrell, Saint Peter's parish, Drogheda
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 18 August 11 08:18 BST (UK) »
The birth cert you have sound to me like a good match to your clues and the family mentioned on the census returns. Whilst there were be other Bridget Farrell's born around the same time, the chances that would also have parents William Farrell and Julia Dolan would seem to be remote to me. 

All the the family shown on the 1901 return list their place of as Drogheda, so no evidence of a Co. Dublin connection there.

Where did the details about Julia's maiden name come from ?

To check the detail about William's occupation you could try a search for later details i.e. 1911 census return, birth certs for other children etc  Maybe he changed occupation after Bridget left for England ?

It's possible that as a child Bridget was told the incorrect date for  her birthday by her parents ...
Ages and dates were not as critical to people at that time, and quite a few give their age incorrectly on the census returns.

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline alexb123

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 18 August 11 09:18 BST (UK) »
Hi Shane,

The details of Julia's maiden name were given to my mum by Bridget herself, and are also on Bridget's marriage certificate.

William is not on the 1911 census return in Drogheda, although there is a note on the actual census to say that he has left the family home and that his whereabouts are unknown. Perhaps he did move house and job after she left home.

Bridget told her family he worked for Guiness, and she took his lunch by train when he worked on Sunday.  This seems to support a Dublin/Dan Laoghaire connection. I may need to look at this again, as I could not seem to find him originally.

I know there were 8 children, 2 boys and 6 girls, including Bridget. I know four of their names, from Bridget's conversations with family. Should I look for a marriage certificate first? What is the best way to find out all the names - family search?

Alex

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 18 August 11 10:40 BST (UK) »
Guinness have an archive containing many employee records - might be worth check to see if you William is included. There's a link somewhere here on RootsChat - I'll have a look for it..

The Guinness brewery is located at James's St. in Dublin city centre, and not that close to Dún Laoghaire. A commute by train might have been possible between Drogheda and Dublin.. it's about 50km (c30 miles), although a bit of a walk from the station to James Street.

There's no simple way to find the other children - it's just a case of searching for possible matches on the BMD Index and ordering the certs. Might not be easy with a common surname like Farrell to find the right records.

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline alexb123

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 18 August 11 11:15 BST (UK) »
Thanks Shane,

I tried the Guiness archive last year without luck, and it does sound from what you say that Dan Laoghaire is too far from Dublin to travel, so goodness knows where he got to in 1911. It seems a lot of the stories passed down from family members are, at best, a bit mixed up. 

When you say the BMD Index, do you mean the Family Search link you sent me  before - sorry to be a bit thick.

Alex

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 18 August 11 11:42 BST (UK) »
Maybe he worked in another brewery in, or near, Drogheda ?
Might be worth having another go at finding him on the 1911 census.

the latest link to the Irish BMD index on familyseach is in the Introduction topic.

S.
My Surname Interests

Offline alexb123

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 01 May 12 18:38 BST (UK) »
I have made some progress in my search for Bridget Farrell. I now have details of her birth, her parents marriage and the births and names of all seven of her siblings. The dates and names fit, except for one. Bridget said she had a sister called Jane, but she must have been christened with a different name, and I dont know which one she might be. I have also found Bridget on the census in 1911 in England.

I am now trying to find information on her father William Farrell. I do not know where he was in 1911, and have scoured all the William Farrells on the Irish census without luck. There is a William Farrell born in Louth in West Derby Liverpool in 1911, staying with a sister and sister in law, but I dont have any info on his siblings to cross check.

I know from his marriage that he was born in 1846 (father Bernard Farrell), but there are no records on Family Search for that date. Can anyone give me any help or advice on how best to find William's birth. If I can get his parents name, I can perhaps look for siblings.

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 01 May 12 18:46 BST (UK) »
I am now trying to find information on her father William Farrell.... I do

I know from his marriage that he was born in 1846 (father Bernard Farrell), but there are no records on Family Search for that date. Can anyone give me any help or advice on how best to find William's birth. If I can get his parents name, I can perhaps look for siblings.

William's birth is before the start of civil birth records in 1864, so you need to search for a church baptism.

The 1901 census shows his place of birth of Drogheda, so the RC parishes in and around the town are the ones to try first.

Your profile doesn't mention where you are located, but by far the best place to access RC parish records is in the National Library in Dublin. They have films of most of the historic registers on microfilm.

Drogheda was split between counties Louth & Meath, so keep in mind when checking parishes. You can view maps of the RC parishes in these counties at : RC Parishes (Irish Times)

Transcripts of many Louth and Meath parishes are available on the pay-website at www.rootsireland.ie

Shane
My Surname Interests

Offline dunleergirl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 27 March 16 19:54 BST (UK) »
Hi alexb123, are you still researching Farrells from Drogheda as they seem to be the same Farrells that are on my husbands family tree

Offline alexb123

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 27 March 16 21:19 BST (UK) »
Hi, thank you for your reply. I am still searching for the Farrell's, and have had some luck with the maternal side of the family. I still haven't traced William's birth, so am a bit stuck on that side. I would be very grateful of any information or help, and would be glad to share anything that I have.

Alex