Author Topic: George Edward BRODIE - Australian Arrival Passenger List Look Up  (Read 3603 times)

Offline jhut38

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
George Edward BRODIE - Australian Arrival Passenger List Look Up
« on: Monday 25 July 11 11:53 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I'm hoping that someone might be able to help me.  Another rootschat member suggested that I post onto this board to hopefully find out when my grandfather arrived in Australia from Manchester Lancashire England as I don't know when he came to Australia.

There is a slight twist though my grandfather's name on his birth certificate is George Edward BRODIE but when he married my grandmother (copy of their marriage certificate attached) his name was Edward George BRODIE.  I don't know why he swapped his first and second names around but I think this might make it a bit tricky to find out which name he arrived under in Australia that is George Edward (or derivatives) or Edward George.  My grandfather is proving to be much of a mystery. My grandparents married on 26 January 1938.

I would appreciate if someone could possibly help and am crossing fingers that I might be lucky enough to find out something.

Thanks.

Regards,
Joanne

Brodie in Manchester

Offline jhut38

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: George Edward BRODIE - Australian Arrival Passenger List Look Up
« Reply #1 on: Monday 25 July 11 11:56 BST (UK) »
Sorry forgot to attach the marriage certificate  :D
Brodie in Manchester

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 25 July 11 12:18 BST (UK) »
At this link is an on-going project from the National Archives of Australia.  It is based on passenger lists for ships arriving via Fremantle.

http://recordsearch.naa.gov.au/Scripts/PassengerSearch.asp

There's several that may be your chap eg
Mr Edward Brodie on the Koolinda 27 Jan 1934...

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 25 July 11 13:43 BST (UK) »
He appears as Edward George here

http://recordsearch.naa.gov.au/NAAMedia/ShowImage.asp?B=9079714&S=1&T=R

and

Australian Electoral Roll
BRODIE Edward George 38 Wandoo Street, Valley  Welder
BRODIE May  38 Wandoo Street, Valley  HD

BRODIE Edward George  26 Hope Street, Spring Hill  Wardsman
BRODIE May  26 Hope Street, Spring Hill  HD

The mv KOOLINDA was a WA State ship  http://www.rootschat.com/links/0eeg/ however her arrival in Jan 1934 was from Singapore.
http://www.rootschat.com/links/0eeh/

I can't identify a George or Edward BRODIE leaving the UK.

Have you his death certificate?  It should show how many years in Australia which may help narrow down his time of arrival.

May I suggest you remove the image of the marriage certificate.  Only small snippets of certificates are permitted on rootschat.  Perhaps you may like to transcribe the information if you feel it is relevant.

Cheers
Cando
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 25 July 11 14:34 BST (UK) »
My grandfather is proving to be much of a mystery

You mentioned that he was George Edward on his birth certificate.  At the time of his birth his father John William BRODIE was 32 and an outdoor labourer.  His mum Ethel Elizabeth was 28 years old.  He had two elder siblings.  There are a couple more possible siblings births posted below.

This apppears to be his parents' marriage
Marriages Dec 1902
BRODIE John William Manchester 8d/317
BLACK Ethel   Manchester 8d/317   

Births Sep 1903 
BRODIE    Mercia  Chorlton 8c/964

Births Dec 1906   
BRODIE John Robert     Manchester 8d/202

Births Jun 1911   
BRODIE George E Manchester 8d/185

Births Sep 1914   
BRODIE James A    Black  Manchester 8d/399

Births Mar 1916 
BRODIE Stella        Black  Manchester 8d/352

Cando

Offline jhut38

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 26 July 11 09:49 BST (UK) »
Hi JM,

I appreciate the info in regards to the MV Koolinda.  It could be very possible that the Mr Edward Brodie that you mention could be my grandfather.  I found some further information from my aunt and she said that he used to work in the mines in Western Australia before coming to Queensland and this would fit in with the time frame of when he married my grandmother in 1928 as my aunt thinks that my grandfather came to Queensland with some money....

Thanks again for the information and I appreciate your help.

:)
Brodie in Manchester

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 26 July 11 09:58 BST (UK) »
Thanks ... 

Cando has suggested you remove the m.c. and I support that suggestion.  Cando posted info about the vessel also, along with so much more.

Many cheers,  JM

The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline jhut38

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 26 July 11 10:08 BST (UK) »
Hi Cando,

Yes I have a copy of his birth certificate and his name is registered as George Edward and yes you are correct in saying that his father was an outdoor labourer and he had two elder siblings being Mercia and John Robert and then there were the two younger siblings James and Stella.  In the 1911 census it was recorded that they had five children in total but only three were living, that is Mercia, John Robert and my grandfather.  I found that the other two children that died that one was still born and the other died when 10 months old.

My grandfather's parents did marry in 1902 and they were married in St Andrews as I have a copy of their marriage certificate as well.  I found that a problem as well as I couldn't find either a George or Edward Brodie leaving the UK and then of course not knowing when he arrived in Australia as I thought that I might have been able to work backwards so to speak.

As I mentioned in my post to JM my grandfather may have arrived in Australia in WA on the Koolinda in January 1934 which does fit in with the time frame of him possibly working in the mines in WA before he came to Queensland.

The Australian Electoral Roll entries you have posted for 1943 & 1954 are correct these are my grandparents.  

Sorry about the marriage certificate - I will transcribe the details on a new reply and I only attached it to show the dates of my grandparents marriage and where they were married etc.  I wasn't aware of the formality of rootschat attachments.

No I haven't gotten a copy of my grandfathers death certificate but I will ask my aunt if she does.

Thanks again for the help and info.

Joanne

Brodie in Manchester

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 26 July 11 10:17 BST (UK) »
Copyright of the 1911 census prevented me mentioning my source of the information about the time of Edward's birth.  I also found the other two children's possible births and deaths.  I also found Ethel Elizabeth's death...but as it is easy to identify I'll leave that to you.

This may be Edward as he appeared to be listed in other records.

Australian Electoral Roll
BRODIE Edward  Lakeside, Wiluna  Miner

If you wish you can go back and modify your second post and simply remove the image.

Cheers
Cando