Author Topic: THOMSON - Troqueer and New Abbey  (Read 15329 times)

Offline ChrisWibs

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: THOMSON - Troqueer and New Abbey
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 05 December 10 09:35 GMT (UK) »
Have sent a reply privately to Lucy requesting some information on John Welsh

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 06 December 10 21:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi ChrisWibs

Thank you for responding.    I have just been notified though that I no longer have access to the personal messaging (PM) system here, so have been unable to view the information you have sent.

Is it possible please, for you place the information on this thread ?

Thanks.

Lucy2

Offline ChrisWibs

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 06 December 10 22:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi there,

Yes, though it looks as though I can't access the original to copy it for you! I will dig it out again and put it on here in the next couple of days.  I had hoped to give you my personal e mail which is in the response but which I'm not allowed to post. Do you know when you can get back to PM?

I would like you think you will reciprocate with your information about John Welsh who was my grandmother's cousin.

Christine

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 07 December 10 14:47 GMT (UK) »
Dear Christine

Thank you again.     I do however want to apologise, because, in retrospect, it was most unfair of me to request details via this thread, when you had already so generously provided these privately.   :)
Please would you now ignore my request for same.

It was always my intention to reciprocate with details about John and I would have liked very much to share further information with you but the PM ban (permanent) which has been imposed, makes this difficult and I can't immediately see a solution.    And yes, we must abide by the rules of this forum (- me especially).   Sorry for any inconvenience I may have caused you.

Sincerely,
   ~  Lu

Offline ChrisWibs

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 07 December 10 19:44 GMT (UK) »
Oh no, I will do them, not least because I want the details for John!!

I'm a bit unsure why you can't send me a private communication? Or see mine...

The mother of John Welsh was Jean Thomson 1810-

My cousin thinks she was married to John's father another John Welsh but personally I don't and your information points to them not being married.

Don't know about the name Glen but do know about Grierson. The Griersons were a prominent family in New Abbey. In fact a Grierson is listed as being a prominent New Abbey resident.

Samuel, my gt  gt grandfather was the illegitimate son of John Thomson 1748-1806 of Millhill Farm Troqueer by his servant Janet Dowell or Weel abt 1765-?. That is noted in the register of Samuel's death.

Millhill Farm is miles from anywhere. We went in the summer and if we could communicate properly I could send you a picture. Samuel Thomsons lived at Auchenfaad Cottage again very remote but near Millhill and Catherine and Samuel's children were Christened at Millhill Farm. Samuel worked as a shepherd at Millhill Farm all his life and at his death was noted as the widower of Catherine McCubbin. Samuel and Catherine are buried near to the other Thomsons at New Abbey, in fact next to John Thomson's mother Agnes Lewars.

When Catherine died she was noted by Samuel to be the daughter of unknown father and Isabella unknown but in the 1841 census there is an old lady Isabella Thomson living with the family at Auchenfaad and my cousin and I think she was Catherine's mother.

Catherine is noted on the family grave as Catherine Mcuban. Again I have photos which I could send if we could communicate. Are you on Facebook or Ancestry?

Back to the Griersons. John Thomson father of Samuel in about 1800 married Jane Grierson 1771-1852. They had 3 legitimate children one of whom another John Thomson  inherited the farm. Another lost inheritance! ;D

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 08 December 10 09:02 GMT (UK) »
Dear Christine

Thank you so much for all that super information - it is very  much appreciated.    :)

And great news !     Thanks to an extraordinary kindness, a way has been found for us to communicate offsite.    Details should reach you shortly.    Once in contact, I can then forward you all I have for the John WELSH family.

Again, thanks ... and I look foward to "talking" further.

Regards

~  Lu   

Offline painebrown

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 18 March 12 06:39 GMT (UK) »
Lucy2
I am, or at least I thought I was, a Gr Gr Grandson of your Samual and Catherine Welsh. I am the grandson of Agnes Hutton Nye (nee Welsh), daughter of John and Lizzie Welsh.
My info has also come from a copy of John Thomson Welsh's death cert.
However my info, which was verbal, has him coming to NZ approx. 1874.
I was also told by my mother that J T Welsh had another brother who came to NZ.
Have you any knowledge of this?
I am a newby and cannot send a PM yet.
Bevan NZ

Offline ChrisWibs

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 18 March 12 09:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

You have probably gathered I am connected and have a lot of information though at the NZ end it was given by Lucy2.

Some of it is pretty sensitive and shouldn't go on a public forum so might I suggest that you make the neccessary number of postings and we can send you private messages.

Chris

Offline painebrown

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 21 March 12 01:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi Chris
My Gr Mother was Agnes Hutton Welsh, doughter of John Thomson Welsh. Are you aware of any connection between the Hutton's, Thomson's or Welsh families in Kirkcudbright area?
Bevan NZ