Author Topic: london metropolitan archive  (Read 14918 times)

Offline diarmuid 32

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
london metropolitan archive
« on: Friday 22 July 11 17:22 BST (UK) »
i am looking for information about my grandfather James Gannon he died on The 13Th 1944 he lived at no 3
cumberland road staines middlesex, he was from ireland, he was 43yrs old when he died in staines county hospital.now the London metropolitan archive holds the medical records from the hospital for 1930-1947 [HL/S/ASH/02/003, this is the code for the records.if there is anyone from roots chat that will be in the archive looking up there own information , and has some time ,i would be very grateful if could look up my grandfather medical records , and if possible photo copy them for me ,as it hard for me to go too London as the moment as i live in ireland.any help i would be very grateful, kind regards diarmuid Gannon,      

Offline cardiff

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: james gannon 3 cumberland road staines middlesex died 13th 1944
« Reply #1 on: Friday 22 July 11 18:39 BST (UK) »
HI
Why do you want to know who owned the house he lived in?
 did he leave a will?, who is named on his death certificate as next of kin?
cheers cardiff ???
All CensusTranscriptions are Crown Copyright

Read Wiltshire /Pontypridd
Dove Lincolnshire/Pontypridd/Cardiff
Barnhouse Cardiff/Pontypridd
Wilkes Shropshire/ Staffordshire/ Rhondda
Fletchers Staffordshire/ Glamorgan
Wright Somerset/ Glamorgan
Probert Cardigan/Rhondda/Shropshire
Jenkins Cardigan
Lewis Cardigan
Morgan Penderyn/Pontypridd
Stephens Penderyn
David Glamorgan
Whitby Forest Dean
Hughes Goodrich/Pontypridd
Jackson/Smith London /Kent/Glamorgan
Hughes Maesteg/Ynyshire

Offline diarmuid 32

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 22 July 11 18:46 BST (UK) »
i dont know because he left dublin ireland some time in the 1940s , he went to england to work ,his home was in ireland ,his wife and kids were in ireland , any money he made was sent back to ireland, he died in england.
if there was work in ireland during war time .he would have died in ireland ,i am trying to fill in the japs.

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 22 July 11 18:49 BST (UK) »
my grandfather was a tenant in the house

It sounds as though he was in lodgings
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline cardiff

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 22 July 11 18:54 BST (UK) »
Hi
Do you have his death certificate that would give you who registered his death and what he died of that at least would tell you something of that time.  I would be suprised if anyone is around to fill in the gaps of that house at that time ???
cheers cardiff :-\
All CensusTranscriptions are Crown Copyright

Read Wiltshire /Pontypridd
Dove Lincolnshire/Pontypridd/Cardiff
Barnhouse Cardiff/Pontypridd
Wilkes Shropshire/ Staffordshire/ Rhondda
Fletchers Staffordshire/ Glamorgan
Wright Somerset/ Glamorgan
Probert Cardigan/Rhondda/Shropshire
Jenkins Cardigan
Lewis Cardigan
Morgan Penderyn/Pontypridd
Stephens Penderyn
David Glamorgan
Whitby Forest Dean
Hughes Goodrich/Pontypridd
Jackson/Smith London /Kent/Glamorgan
Hughes Maesteg/Ynyshire

Offline diarmuid 32

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
james gannon 3 cumberland road staines middlesex died 13th 1944
« Reply #5 on: Monday 25 July 11 23:47 BST (UK) »
i need help to trace my grandfather James Gannon last weeks of his life ,he lived in loggings at no 3 cumberland road staines , he was from Dublin ireland , he went to England for work ,and never returned home to ireland.he died 13th may 1944 at staines county hospital ,he was buried in ashford cemetery ,his grave is unmarked,i have his death cert , but i dont know how long he lived in staines , or were he worked while in staines , he was an engineers fitter . i need to find out whom own the house in cumberland road were he lived. if he was in loggings were did he work in staines ,i have his life from the time he was born but when it comes to England,
i hit a brick wall. can anyone help me to find out who own the house on cumberland road ,or were he might have work in staines middlesex. all help is welcome.

Offline Jeuel

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 26 July 11 10:43 BST (UK) »
He may just have rented a room in the house, or part of the house.  The electoral rolls might help (except that in wartime they weren't kept).  The informant of his death might be a clue.  Althernatively, you might find rent/rate books in the relevant archive.
I'm not sure how finding out who owned the house then will give you much info about your grandfather though?  Even if they are still alive and traceable they mightn't remember much.

A local history centre/archive migth be able to tell you want likely firms there were at that time to employ your grandfather.  I'm thinking warwork would be a priority?
Chowns in Buckinghamshire
Broad, Eplett & Pope in St Ervan/St Columb Major, Cornwall
Browning & Moore in Cambridge, St Andrew the Less
Emms, Mealing & Purvey in Cotswolds, Gloucestershire
Barnes, Dunt, Gray, Massingham in Norfolk
Higho in London
Matthews & Nash in Whichford, Warwickshire
Smoothy, Willsher in Coggeshall & Chelmsford, Essex

Offline diarmuid 32

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 26 July 11 21:28 BST (UK) »
He may just have rented a room in the house, or part of the house.  The electoral rolls might help (except that in wartime they weren't kept).  The informant of his death might be a clue.  Althernatively, you might find rent/rate books in the relevant archive.
I'm not sure how finding out who owned the house then will give you much info about your grandfather though?  Even if they are still alive and traceable they mightn't remember much.

A local history centre/archive migth be able to tell you want likely firms there were at that time to employ your grandfather.  I'm thinking warwork would be a priority?

yes as far as i been told my grandfather was in rented room , i have his death cert that were i got the address, were he lived before he died , his brother Michael was present when he died in staines county hospital , he died 1971 in Dublin, i just want to find out were he worked and the name of the house owner,
were he lived before he died ,what about the electoral register before the war, i just like to know what made him pick staines middlesex, jeuel

Offline jane harrison

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: staines middlesex
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 31 July 11 23:00 BST (UK) »
Hello
 Cumberland road is in Ashford but would be listed under the Staines postal area tw 15 area. Staines has a Cumberland street but no road. Staines county hospital is now or whats left of it Ashford hospital .the Hospital is approx 5 min walk away from Cumberland Road & Ashford Cemetery 8/10 mins walk, you can google this & get a map of the area. Hospital & cemetery are both on the A30 London road. cant help with his work place as 15 min walk away & you are in the Heathrow Airport cargo side. Staines at the time also had a large industrial Estate with many small Engineering companys including the lino Company. Petters was also one of the many larger companys. if you google Staines ,Ashford or Stanwell you can get some History on the area ect for 1944.will look along Cumberland road for no 3 but i know a lot of the bungalows & older houses have been knocked down & re built on over the last 20 years or so.