Author Topic: Carrs Liverpool  (Read 2857 times)

Offline damienb

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Carrs Liverpool
« on: Tuesday 26 July 11 13:39 BST (UK) »
May seem a strange question but was it common for people to change their christian name...?

I have in my tree Patrick Carr (b c1856) m Catherine Kelly (b c1858) in 1878. I have them in the 1891 census with children James (b1879), John (b1881),... but no mention of them in the 1881 census. However, I did find:

Nathaniel Carr (b c1857), Catherine (b C1859), James (b 1878) and John (b1881) and no mention of Nathaniel Carr in 1891 census. No sign of a deceased Nathaniel in the intervening 10 years either.  Could he have changed his name? If so why? He was Patrick in 1878 (marriage) and again in 1891 if Nathaniel is the same person... :(

Any suggestions welcome!

Damien

PS On the marriage certificate Patrick's father is listed as James Carr, mariner, deceased. I have a James (mariner) but no son Patrick I can find or Patrick but not father James (mariner)!

PPS Prior to the marriage (according to the marriage certificate) both Patrick and Catherine lived in Sawney Pope St in Liverpool. Does anyone know of any records for specific streets...?

Offline ScouseBoy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Carrs Liverpool
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 26 July 11 14:07 BST (UK) »
He may have had the two names,  have you seen his birth cert.

In my case, I was  given one Christian name  on my original birth registration..    But several weeks later  they added my middle name, by an amendment.
Nursall   ~    Buckinghamshire
Avies ~   Norwich

Offline Blue70

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 26 July 11 16:07 BST (UK) »
Find My Past has a search facility to look up streets. Just for information Sawney Pope Street is another name for Alexander Pope Street. It's off Marybone between Addison Street and Harrison Street on old maps.

C

Offline ourgang

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 04 December 11 15:55 GMT (UK) »
Damien,

I might have a connection with Patrick Carr's family.
My gt grandfather was Christopher Carr and in the 1901 census for Ireland he lists his birthplace as Liverpool. The only Christopher I could find in the British records for 1850 is trhe one born to James and Ellen who appear to have had Patrick in 1853.

My gt Grandfather Christopher was married twice and on the marriage certs his father is James a seaman.

History relates that the family may have worked on the boat between Ireland and Liverpool and my grandmother often went to cousins in Liverpool in the 1920's
McGuirk, Jordan of Wicklow
Carr of Liverpool
Connor of Blackrock

Offline ourgang

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 23 June 12 14:35 BST (UK) »
I have been doing some more searches on my Christopher Carr (born Liverpool approx 1850/51) and find he married Elizabeth McGuinness in Glasthule outside Dublin in 1872 their first child James (probably called after his father) was born in 1872 and died in 1874. Their second son was Patrick Carr born 4 March 1875. Elizabeth Carr died in 1876 and I think Christopher might have returned to Liverpool leaving Patrick with the McGuinness family. Patrick married Teresa Murray on 18 September 1895 at St Michaels Church, DunLaoghaire and I find him in the 1901 and 1911 (childless) census but cannot find a death for either Patrick or Teresa his wife.  Would anyone have any leads on them?
Carr of Liverpool
Connor of Blackrock

Offline ourgang

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 30 May 18 18:16 BST (UK) »
  Just a little update.

After many years searching and with the help of rootschatters on the Dublin section I found that Patrick Carr (son of Christopher) died on 4 October 1913 and just yesterday I discovered that his wife Teresa died on 9 May 1942. Both are buried in Deansgrange Cemetery outside Dublin.
Carr of Liverpool
Connor of Blackrock