Author Topic: john macintosh born 1800 in canonbie  (Read 3347 times)

Offline frankieb

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
john macintosh born 1800 in canonbie
« on: Tuesday 26 July 11 23:09 BST (UK) »
Can anyone help me find a death of a john macintosh/mcintosh/mackintosh who was born in canonbie in 1800. His parents were francis macintosh born 1779 ish in alston cumbria i think, and mum sarah graham who married in 1799 in alston or arthuret in cumbria. Francis's parents were charles macintosh and margaret teasdale who married in alston/arthuret in 1774. But charles was born in 1751 /1750 in canonbie. His dad was Francis macintosh married in canonbie in 1730 to hanna forrester. Charles and also John have disapeared . John disappeared in 1837 in altham lancashire with no sign of a death or burial for him there, and no sign of him on any census.  So i wonder if he was buried back in canonbie. ? As maybe charles was too?? There is no sign of a death in alston cumbria or lancashire for charles or margaret. Canonbie is my last hope. John was a miner. His last known wife who he married in 1837 was margaret walsh in altham lancashire. He had a daughter isabella in 1838 in altham also. then he vanishes.
Can anyone help with this mystery family??
frankie

Offline HDMattinson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Mattinson Davies

Offline frankieb

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: john macintosh born 1800 in canonbie
« Reply #2 on: Monday 08 August 11 21:08 BST (UK) »
thanks for that, i just came back from canonbie and i trecked round the grave yard and found nothing, but they were very difficult to read. I think its possible that canonbie was not the place the macintosh's got buried, but not sure where they could be buried then. Were married in arthuret, charles and margaret nee teasdale, and lived in alston, or their children did anyway. I found some teasdales burials, weddings and baptisms in alston, but no sign of any macintosh's at all.  its a difficult one.

Offline Johnner Kid

• RootsChat Senior
  • Picture Post 1942
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 09 August 11 11:51 BST (UK) »
Have a look at -- http://www.flickr.com/photos/letsbikeit/sets/72157622608432658/
There are four McIntosh gravestones recorded for Canonbie
(note the McI spelling not the MAC spelling)  these are given below.
McINTOSH MIs for Canonbie Graveyard  (Source: Shannon/Gilchrist survey of the 1960s)
01  James McIntosh in Hollos who died July 1822 aged 53 years. Also Mary Bell his spouse who died February 1839 aged 77. [Only partially readable portion of a badly worn stone – reading at the base and partly embedded.]

02  Isabella, daughter of Daniel McIntosh who died at Glasgow January 22nd 1813 aged 34 years. Also Hannah daughter of Daniel McIntosh in Newtown who died April 1785 ? aged 5 years. Also Mary his daughter who died December 1810 aged 28 years.

03  In memory of Andrew Beattie late tenant in Hughsrigg who died 3rd May 1838 aged 70 years. Also Betty Beattie daughter of Andrew Beattie in Hughsrigg who died March 13th 1809 aged 6 years. Also Jane Beattie his daughter who died April 1819 aged 8 months. Also Jane McIntosh spouse of above Andrew Beattie who died 12th April 1860 aged 84 years. [Post 1855 inscriptions].

04 In memory of William Armstrong who died at Closses January 3rd 1854 aged 52 years. Also Mary McIntosh wife of the above who died at Rowanburn May 26th 1885 aged 78 years. [Post 1855 inscriptions].
Adam : Criggie : Davidson : Freeman : Jeamie : Lownie : Mackie : Pittendreigh : Ritchie
in Kinneff, Bervie, Benholm & St. Cyrus Parishes

Offline frankieb

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 09 August 11 20:45 BST (UK) »
thankyou for that. appreciate it. Unfortunately i cant fit any of my mcintosh's in to any of those just yet, but they may be useful later. I have a francis mciintosh and wife hanna forrester/forster with children being born from around 1730 up to 1751 in canonbie. One of the male children may have been father to one of these persons buried, but as yet cant make a match. My ancestor, charles mcintosh, married and had children in alston . But one of his children who lived and was born in alston had children baptised backk in canonbie which made me think they continued to baptise their children in canonbie from time to time. And this sis what makes me wonder if perhaps they were buried there also. Obviously not, back to the drawing board.
thanks again
frankie

Offline frankieb

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 11 August 11 10:45 BST (UK) »
Ive since had new info which reliably informs me that francis mcintosh born 1774/1778 ish was not the son of charles and margaret nee teasdale, but instead the son of james mcintosh and mary nee bell. James and mary had a francis in canonbie and charles, james's brother , had a francis also born in alston or arthuret. So, i have been confusing the parents, easily done i suppose when both brothers had a son named francis at around the same time period.
So although i have been unable to find burials for charles and mary nee teasdale , i have discovered that francis's parents were james and mary and found their burials thanks to the people on here. So thankyou very much to you all.
frankie