Author Topic: Dovercourt  (Read 7234 times)

Offline ann255

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Dovercourt
« on: Wednesday 27 July 11 18:59 BST (UK) »
I am trying to find a F G Steggles of Dovercourt c. 1920 - he could have been a photographer.  any ideas please.  Also can anyone give me help as to whether there would have been naval presence there or nearby.
BROWNING - Kent
DEARING - Kent
FOORD - Kent and Essex
GARRITY - Kent and Essex
GIBBS - Kent
HARE - Essex
JENNINGS - Essex
KEMPTON - Kent
PERKINS - Kent
PETTIT - Suffolk and Essex
RICHARDS - Kent
SIMMONS - Kent
THOMPSON - Suffolk

CLAYDON - NSW,AUSTRALIA

Offline CarolA3

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My adopted home
    • View Profile
Re: Dovercourt
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 27 July 11 22:49 BST (UK) »
Hi ann255,

I've just Googled 'Steggles Dovercourt' and there's quite a lot of information about F G and yes, he was a photographer.  Don't be misled by references to Kent though - some people assume that Dovercourt is near Dover!

Regards, Carol 
OXFORDSHIRE / BERKSHIRE
Bullock, Cooper, Boler/Bowler, Wright, Robinson, Lee, Prior, Trinder, Newman, Walklin, Louch

Offline amber42

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 28 July 11 09:23 BST (UK) »
If it helps there is a Mr Steggles in the 1911 census summery book, living at 105 High St Dovercourt.

Regards
jane

Online Jebber

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 28 July 11 10:58 BST (UK) »
I don't know if this helps, but Frederick STEGGLES was born in Bury St. Edmunds Suffolk c1863

His marriage:  Sep 1902   Hawkyard  Jane Ritchie     Leicester  7a 496   
Steggles  Frederick George     Leicester  7a 496

In 1891 he was at Cannards Grave, Pilton in Somerset, the County in which his subsequent children were born.

Jebber
CHOULES All ,  COKER Harwich Essex & Rochester Kent 
COLE Gt. Oakley, & Lt. Oakley, Essex.
DUNCAN Kent
EVERITT Colchester,  Dovercourt & Harwich Essex
GULLIVER/GULLOFER Fifehead Magdalen Dorset
HORSCROFT Kent.
KING Sturminster Newton, Dorset. MONK Odiham Ham.
SCOTT Wrabness, Essex
WILKINS Stour Provost, Dorset.
WICKHAM All in North Essex.
WICKHAM Medway Towns, Kent from 1880
WICKHAM, Ipswich, Suffolk.

Offline CarolA3

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My adopted home
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 29 July 11 12:19 BST (UK) »
And in answer to the second part of your post, there was a significant naval presence in WW1 & 2 around Harwich harbour, an area which includes Harwich, Dovercourt, Felixstowe, and Shotley where there was a training base called HMS Ganges.

If you'd like to know more, your next port of call (!) would be the Armed Forces board.

Regards, Carol 
OXFORDSHIRE / BERKSHIRE
Bullock, Cooper, Boler/Bowler, Wright, Robinson, Lee, Prior, Trinder, Newman, Walklin, Louch

Offline ann255

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 29 July 11 12:29 BST (UK) »
Love the 'pun' carol.  Off there now.
BROWNING - Kent
DEARING - Kent
FOORD - Kent and Essex
GARRITY - Kent and Essex
GIBBS - Kent
HARE - Essex
JENNINGS - Essex
KEMPTON - Kent
PERKINS - Kent
PETTIT - Suffolk and Essex
RICHARDS - Kent
SIMMONS - Kent
THOMPSON - Suffolk

CLAYDON - NSW,AUSTRALIA

Offline Boblima

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 29 July 11 20:25 BST (UK) »
Dear Ann
   Has Dfovercourt got a naval history ?? I'll say !  next to Dovercourt is Harwich, a North Sea port, and in both world wars were very active against German navy activities. in the post war years there was, and is, a ferry service, Harwich to the Hook of Holland. Harwich was extensively used by the military after the war when we had BAOR, and thousands of troops went through the port en route to Germany. |H|arwich is also home to Trinity House, the coastguard organisation and of course has it's own life boat station. Just across the river, less than 2 miles is Felixstowe which takes most of the container traffic, subsequently Felixstowe is on the up, and Harwich I'm afraid is gradually going down.

regards,

Bob Lima
Lovett; Hertfordshire. Essex. Lancashire.

Offline Harwich

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 07 August 11 09:50 BST (UK) »
I am trying to find a F G Steggles of Dovercourt c. 1920 - he could have been a photographer.  any ideas please.  Also can anyone give me help as to whether there would have been naval presence there or nearby.

Hi Ann

Harwich had a big naval presence in both wars, my grandfather served on subamrines in both wars
the U-boats surrended at harwich in ww1
In early 1917, the Harwich Force consisted of eight light cruisers, two flotilla leaders and 45 destroyers. By the end of the year, there were nine light cruisers, four flotilla leaders and 24 destroyers. The combination of light, fast ships was intended to provide effective scouting and reconnaissance, whilst still being able to engage German light forces, and to frustrate attempts at minelaying in the Channel.

Offline bobfilm

• RootsChat Senior
  • Early Photographers and Silent Film Makers.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 12 April 14 12:42 BST (UK) »
Frederick George Steggles (b: abt 1863 in Bury St Edmunds, Suffolk - d: 25 Dec 1930 in Thorpe Bay, Essex) ran his photographic studio at 105 High Street, Dovercourt, Harwich from abt 1911 until abt 1922. He had previously been in Shepton Mallet, Somerset.

The 'High Street Studio' had previously been run by Charles Edwin Bates from abt 1908 - 1910.
J A Saunders Limited ran the same studio from abt 1922 – 1937 (If anybody has information on this company I'd appreciate it).
 :)
Regards - Bobfilm
Researching East London & Essex Early Photographers and Silent Film Makers and Studios in Waltham Forest.