Author Topic: Knocknabro, Killaha, Kerry  (Read 14400 times)

Offline celtic liberty

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Allihies, West Cork, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Knocknabro, Killaha, Kerry
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 06 September 11 10:23 BST (UK) »
Hi,

First of all that site by the Kerry County Council and Local Authority is really brilliant.

I had a look at it and found a Timothy Dineen of Kilgarvan buried at Kilgarvan - he was a widower when he died on 16.12.1962, aged 76 ( would this tie in with his age on teh census of 1901/1911?) Plot number 28C.

Also for Kilgarvan cemetery there was a burial for a Jeremiah Dineen  of Inchieese, a single man died aged 88 on 25.12.01 Plot numbr  101A.

Have a look at that site again www.kerrylaburials.ie  and in the search just enter the surname and also just put in the Christian name and it narrows down the search.

Good luck

Mary
Celtic liberty
Bradfield, Buckley, Capels,Cronin, Desmond, Leonard, Lombard,Mullins, O'Brien,

Offline Gallagher-Doohan

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 06 September 11 14:45 BST (UK) »
 :)Wouldn't it be wonderful if all the counties had a site like kerryburials? 

Thank you for searching the burial records.  Sometimes another eye can spot the right information.  However, the Timothy Dineen I'm researching was born in Knocknabro on 8 NOV 1868.  His son Jeremiah was born on 5 APR 1900, also in Knocknabro.  Both of them were baptized in Glenflesk R.C. parish. 

Timothy Dineen married Mary Cremin of Gortnagaun/Gortnagane on 14 FEB 1899 in the R.C. parish of Rathmore.  I don't have the date of death of Mary (Cremin) Dineen either, but there are so many Mary Dineens, without a narrowed time frame, it's very difficult to pin down such a common name.  To my knowledge, their son Jeremiah never married. 

Another approach I might take is to work on the family of Timothy Dineen's brother, Jeremiah, who lived in the next townland, Derrynafinnia, a short distance away.  Perhaps the burial location of one of his brother's family might help me locate the other graves.  Maybe.

Offline clydach

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 13 May 12 20:29 BST (UK) »
Hi
Saw your message quite a few months ago but was not registered at the time. The reason you have not had any luck finding the graveyard for your Dineen relatives is because they are buried in Ballyvourney Co. Cork, which is the first village over the Cork/Kerry border. Whilst researching my Grandfathers family your message came up. I am from Knocknabro originally and knew Jack and Jeremiah Dineen (the latter was the eldest and died first.) They both died sometime in the seventies but not sure when but would have been after 1972. I remember when their niece Mary Breen came to visit them from Queens New York with her four children.
The graveyard in Ballyvourney is called Saint Gobnaits which is where almost everyone in the Clydach valley is buried. The local Church is "Our Lady of the Wayside" in Clonkeen which is approx. three miles away. Jack and Jeremiah's mother was my Grandfather's (Daniel Buckley) Godmother. They were nice neighbours and we often went to chat with them.
Hope this helps.

Offline Gallagher-Doohan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 16 May 12 00:51 BST (UK) »
Clydach,

I am more than overwhelmed by your response, not only for cemetery information but also for your personal knowledge of the family I'm researching.  Jeremiah and Jack's brother, the father of two grandsons of Timothy and Mary (Cremin) Dineen died when they were little.  As a result, they have had very little personal information about their Dineen ancestry. Knowing that you used to visit their grandparents is very special .  Anything more you remember, especially about the parents of Jeremiah and Jack and the way of life in Knocknabro, would be deeply appreciated too.  Are you able to give a time frame for the parents' deaths? 

One of the Dineens I contacted told me that Mary Breen died a few years ago.  He said that she loved taking photos and hopes that there are some available of her visit to Knocknabro with her children.

I'm going to follow up on your information, but meanwhile, thank you so very, very much. 

Offline clydach

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 02 June 12 00:30 BST (UK) »
Hello again

Yes I did see your message and I am sorry I should have replied to let you know that I received it. The reason I have not replied already is because every time I speak to my Mom on the phone I forget to ask her about the father of Jack and Jeremiah as I know that she remembers him. She would be able to give me an idea of when he died. I can also ask her about their Mother. I know that she was from the Shrone area which is just across the mountain road from Derrynafinna and I found a place named gortnagown on google maps so that would have been where she was from. I also worked out that she could not have been the Godmother of my Grandfather from her age on the 1901 and 1911 census and her date of marriage. There was another Cremin family in Knocknabro and I found a Mary Cremin on the census form so that solves that mystery.
You can find Gortnagown and Knocknabro on google maps and in fact you can see the house where the Dineens lived in Knocknabro. It is not that clear but a few years ago to the left of their house a two storey house was built and in between the houses are some barns. If you decide to look at the satellite  map this should help you to find it. Jack and Jeremiah also had a sister Nell who married Brendan Buckley (part of the same Buckley family.) They did not have any children as I believe she got married later in life. I was aware that they had a sister in the USA as Mom told me and that Mary Breen's  dad was also their brother. I was not aware of Denis though. I knew Mary Dineen of Derrynafinna, we used to visit her when she came of holidays from the States, she was a lovely lady. Her father was a brother to Jack's I presume. WE knew from her grandsons that Mary Breen had passed away. I believe some of her children are in the Police force now including Anna.I would love to hear of news about them. We became good friends with them when they stayed in Knocknabro that time. It would also be nice to look up the Cremin side of the family.
Catch you later. K 

Offline suski1304

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 06 September 12 19:02 BST (UK) »
I'm responding to your posts in the hopes that you may recognize my ancestors.  My gg grandfather was Jeremiah Kiley, and he was born in Derrynafinnia in 1846. The baptismal records (found on churchrecords.irishgenealogy.ie) of Jeremiah and his possible brother Cornelius both list a Hanora Dineen as one of their sponsors, but I don't know of any Dineen connection.

Jeremiah's parents were Patrick Kiley and Mary Cronin.  It appears that Patrick Kiley was born in Knocknabro in the early 1800s, but I have no other information on him.  I know that Jeremiah Kiley immigrated to the US sometime in the late 1860s/early 1870s, but I've never been able to find his immigration records, so I'm unsure of the date.  He had at least one brother who followed him (Daniel), but two more who may have stayed in Ireland.  In Griffith's Valuation, there is a Francis Cronin living in Derrynafinnia around the time Jeremiah would have been born, but no Kiley's.  On the 1901 census, the house is occupied by Timothy Cronin and his family.  The family of Denis Dineen is just a few houses away.  Based on his age, Timothy may have been Mary's sister, so Francis may have been their father. 

In your research into the Dineen family, have you found mention or records of Kiley (also spelled Keily or Kiely) or Cronin?  They families apparently lived closely to one another, but I do not know if that implies any relationship other than location. 

Thank you, Susan

Offline Gallagher-Doohan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 06 September 12 20:14 BST (UK) »
Susan,

The only connection I've found is Mary (Cronin) Scannell, the maternal grandmother of Mary (Cremin) Dineen referenced in an earlier post.  Born about 1813 and dying in 1897, she was living in Shrone/Shrone More.  I haven't found any generations earlier than that, but that doesn't mean those surnames aren't connected to another Dineen line.  Also, Clydach can surely fill you in far better than I can, but families knew each other so well, they might as well all have been relatives.

Offline suski1304

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 13 May 14 18:43 BST (UK) »
Not sure if anyone is still following this thread two years later, but I believe I have finally found the connection between the Cronins and that Dineens in Derrynafinnia.  I believe that Mary Cronin Kiley's parents were Francis Cronin and Hanora Dineen.  I don't have any dates for either Francis or Hanora, but given that Patrick Kiley and Mary Cronin were married in 1838, Hanora Dineen was probably born in the late 1700s. 

I still have little to no information on the family in Ireland, and have no additional information on Hanora Dineen Cronin, so if this fits into anyone's family tree I would love to hear from you.

Thank you,
Susan

Offline Gallagher-Doohan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 13 May 14 19:42 BST (UK) »
Aghadowey,

Thank you also for the suggestion.  I worked with the Civil Registration, but the name is too common, the spellings Dineen and Dinneen can be switched and there is no way of narrowing down the span of time when the death could have occurred.  Moreover, since Knocknabro is so close to Cork, it's entirely possible that the death could have occurred there too, especially if he were hospitalized in Cork.  The hunt goes on. 

Thanks again.