Author Topic: Bridget LAWLER (possible LALOR/LAWLOR)  (Read 2574 times)

Offline Little_Nell57

• RootsChat Extra
  • Four generations
    • View Profile
Bridget LAWLER (possible LALOR/LAWLOR)
« on: Thursday 28 July 11 04:22 BST (UK) »
Can someone help me please?  My ggggrandmother was Bridget LAWLER, who arrived in Tasmania on the 'Charles Kerr' on 19th November 1835.  She married George MOORE (a convict) on 4th October 1836 in Launceston, Tasmania, died 1852.  I have not been able to find out from whence she came, but is listed as being Irish.  She was brought over to Australia as a 'bounty lass' to help even up the numbers of men and women in the colony.  Her daughter, Selina MOORE, is my gggrandmother.

I would appreciate any help given, as it is very difficult trying to trace common surnames when you don't even know which county to begin with.

Narelle
Bridget Lawler  Ireland?-Tasmania; Moore, Kerrison, Williams, Wilson, Watson, McDonald
Chapman, Symonds, Mortimer, Galbraith

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Bridget LAWLER (possible LALOR/LAWLOR)
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 28 July 11 11:23 BST (UK) »
Unfortunately with so little detail and a common name it's going to be impossible to start a search for Bridget's origins at at Irish end. There are several Bridget Lawler/Lalors listed on the surviving Transportation Petition Details in the National Archives here - but all transported later - see : Transportation Petitions

Given the dates I assume that Bridget was born in the 1810s sometime, and this is before the start of many parish records, so you would need quite a detailed location - i.e. townland or parish.

Do any of her Tasmanian records show any details on her parents ?  (e.g. marriage and death certs, death notice, will etc)

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline Little_Nell57

• RootsChat Extra
  • Four generations
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 28 July 11 11:53 BST (UK) »
Hi shanew147, and thanks for your reply.  I do not have access to any certificates at this time because I cannot afford to buy them, but the only information that I have been able to find is that she married George Moore after arriving in Tasmania as a 'bounty lass' and that she died in 1852.  My finances are being kept from being able to purchase certificates, etc, due to regular travel for medical appointments, otherwise I would be able to pursue other means of finding the information.

Narelle
Bridget Lawler  Ireland?-Tasmania; Moore, Kerrison, Williams, Wilson, Watson, McDonald

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 28 July 11 12:29 BST (UK) »
I dont know what sort of details Tasmanian certs for this timeframe might include - but if they did show Bridget's parents names then you could try searching online parish (IrishGenealogy, Roots Ireland etc) records for a possible match for her baptism.

Due to the early dates this would be is a long shot, and would require using subscription web-sites... but without knowing a location for her birth it's the only line of research I can think of

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline Little_Nell57

• RootsChat Extra
  • Four generations
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 28 July 11 22:09 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the help Shane.  I guess I will just have to keep blundering along at this point.  When I am in a position to be able to obtain certificates in Tasmania, I might get more info then.

Oh the joys of tracing one's family history!  Of course mine would include people who had the same name as half the population of the country of origin (maybe slight exaggeration, but not far off from what I can ascertain).  And not the only very common surname amongst my lot.

Narelle

Offline lyn0410

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 18 March 17 09:34 GMT (UK) »
Hello Nell,
I too am trying to find Bridget in Ireland. Got as far as the "bounty lass" but haven't managed to find any more yet.
Regards,
Lyn