Author Topic: Surname of Spratley help please  (Read 2662 times)

Offline syljun

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Surname of Spratley help please
« on: Thursday 28 July 11 16:49 BST (UK) »
Hi. Is the name Spratley common to Surrey? Once again I am trying to break down brick wall. I have a Sarah who married a John Foight somewhere in U.K.  Two Grandchildren have middle name of Spratley and as I cannot find a connection to this name other than it might be maiden name of Grandmother Sarah. John Foit (various spellings could be Voigt, Foight, Voight) was only mentioned on 1841 Census dying before 1851 Census so birthplace put as Foreign parts.
John was a Baker & Confectioner and probably left his Country being a Lutheran and became Trustee of Methodist Church at Monmouth. If I can find  birth of Sarah or marriage to John it might open a door to further research. Anglo-German F.H.S. cannot help as it is too early. The first child being born 1805 at Chepstow.
Your thoughts please and any helpful suggestions appreciated.
Thanks, Syljun

Offline corinne

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Surname of Spratley help please
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 28 July 11 18:53 BST (UK) »
one indication you can get of distribution is to look at the 1881 census.  In 1881 there were 320 people with the surname SPRATLEY, of whom 100 were in Surrey - so yes, I would say that Spratleys were likely to have come from that area.  Just checking further in 1841,  66 out of the 206 Spratleys were in Surrey, and in 1851, 68 out of 207 were in Surrey.     

Offline syljun

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 28 July 11 19:37 BST (UK) »
Thank you Corinne, On the last Census that Sarah was listed on was 1861. She was living with married daughter at Stepney, London where she put her birthplace as Croydon but could be anywhere in Surrey.
Previous Census she put Chepstow as birthplace but have scoured that area for a Marriage and birth and is a no-no. I'm thinking John her husband probably landed in London.
Hey ho isn't this fun. Have been looking on and off for years.
Regards,
Syljun

Offline expatinturkey

• RootsChat Extra
  • My dad in 1943
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 28 July 11 21:17 BST (UK) »
Hello. I'm very new here ...... Anyway just for your info I worked for Brit Telecom in Guildford, Surrey, UK back in the 1970s. My boss was a Mrs Ethel Spratley. She must have been over 60 then.
Good luck! :)
McGaughey, Crawford, WW2 POW, Surrey Fire Brigade, Fintona, Woking

Offline Delnyrose

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 17 May 12 21:51 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I am a retired reference librarian and have recently been doing quite a bit of research on the Jolly family portion of one of my trees. I had a G G Jolly uncle by marriage, and as he was much beloved in the family I have enjoyed searching out his ancestry along with more direct roots. Recently in pursuing some of the branches of his tree I have come upon some of your searches for information concerning Ann Foight who married Thomas Jolly in Chepstow and particularly your interest in finding out how the name Spratley relates to the Jolly or Foight families etc.

Though I cannot tell you what Sarah Foight's maiden name was or where she
married John etc. or whether there were Spratley's in Sarah's direct heritage, I can tell you that there is a connection to the name Spratley through Thomas
Jolly's direct line.

Thomas Jolly was born in 1803 in St. George in the East, Middlesex to John Jolly (A butcher)and his wife Mary Ann Spratley. Not only is Spratley used as a middle name for several of Thomas sons and a daughter Mary Ann Spratley Jolly, but Thomas' younger brother James Jolly named his oldest son: James Spratley Jolly as well.

I found an interesting online article about Thomas and Ann's son John Foight Jolly who emigrated to Grahamstown, Cape area of South Africa and had an iron and brass foundry where he made some bells as well as the gates of the town hall. Let me know if you want the link or have any questions about the information here.

Offline jollywino

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 01 July 17 15:19 BST (UK) »
Hello Delnyrose, I'm not certain how this forum works and how to contact you directly, but John Jolly of the Grahamstown connection was my Great Great Grandfather....I'd love to find out more about his father Thomas (and his grandfather John). We Jolly's have become a bit more inventive in using other names lately !!.  Jeff Jolly.