Author Topic: Mystery find  (Read 10039 times)

Offline Martin Harmer

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Mystery find
« on: Saturday 30 July 11 07:07 BST (UK) »
Amoungst my grandparents belongings years ago I found a silver star ( called a jewel ) which was awarded to someone named Cotter.
As to my knowledge there is no Cotter in my family tree, so who is this mystery recipient ?

The engraving on the star reads;

Presented
as a token of respect
for past services
To P.G.T.Y. Cotter
by the brothers of the
Apollo and Hercules Lodge
of the ancient
independant order of
Odd Fellows
Morphett st. Adelaide
St Australia
Decr. 31st 1851

According to the Adelaide chapter of the Order of Odd Fellows they were not established until the 1870's and this star belongs to / came from the Manchester branch ( a Manchester Unity item IOOF ).

Any help identifing this person and finding a posible link would be appreciated.   

Please note my Email is now (*)

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php
Harmer, Kempson, Kiesler, Oakland, Payne, Crowle, Sutherland, Tulloch, Ward, Benfold, Donovan, Brooks, Smith,

Offline Dazey999

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Mystery find
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 30 July 11 07:22 BST (UK) »
Hi Martin

I think that the PG stands for 'Past Grand' (master) and there's quite a bit on Trove about a TY Cotter who was the first Colonial Surgeon of South Australia.  This would be Thomas Young Cotter born 1805 in Bantry, County Cork, Ireland.  Lots about him if you Google/Trove.

Not saying he was definitely the recipient of the medal, but looks worth investigating.

Dazey

Offline alison2763

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Gr. Grandfather Harry KEETLEY K.I.A. 1917 France
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 30 July 11 08:06 BST (UK) »
If Dazey is correct here is his death:
Thomas Young COTTER died 9.1.1882  aged 76 years. relative not recorded. Residence and Place of Death  Port Augusta  District : Frome. Book 116 Page 96
His wife:
Jane COTTER d 5.3.1876 aged 62 relative not recorded. Res & POD. Port Augusta 72/91

Children born to Thomas Young COTTER and Jane NICHOLSON all born Adelaide except Plummer who was born in Macclesfield
1. Ellen Fisher b 12.3.1838  Book 1 Page 5
2. Edward Gervais b 6.2.1840  1/5
3. Jane Mary b 3.9.1842  1/15
4. Plummer James b 2.10.1844  1/85
5. Henry Robert b 2.11.1848 2/96
6. Alfred John b 6.8.1850 3/87
7. Hurtle Richard b 7.6.1852 4/24 died 3.5.1853 2/208
8. Herbert Hallet b 14.8.1854 5/18

Marriages of children:
Edward Jervis COTTER  30  Single married Anna Maria SLEEP 27 Single on 5.12.1872 at Residence of Robert SLEEP Bugle Ranges 93/519

Plummer James COTTER 33 Single married Mary Elizabeth ANDERSON 27 Single on 16.10.1878 at Residence of Brides father Adelaide.  Brides father: John ANDERSON 117/164

Jane Mary COTTER 22 Single married Frederich John FROST 34 Single on 13.12.1864 at unrecorded Nuccaleena  District Frome Symbol A 60/368

Double wedding  ;D
Ellen Fisher COTTER 26 Not stated married James Bennett GIBBS 28 Not stated on 13.12.1864 at unrecorded Nuccaleena.  Frome Sym: A 60/369

Julia Frances COTTER 24 Single married Thomas BURGOYNE 43 Divorced on 30.9.1871 at  Residence of Thomas COTTER Port Augusta 88/745

Regards
Alison
Blundell- Sussex - Newcastle
Kiefel- Prussia- South Australia
Fiegert-Prussia- South Australia
Retford/Deptford-Hampshire- NSW
Keetley-Hathern Leicestershire-New Zealand
Other names: Collis, Williams,Courage, Andrew, Ransom, Gore.

Offline Martin Harmer

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 31 July 11 04:47 BST (UK) »
Thanks for info to date, it might take some research to find out if there is a family connection.

If there is no family connection how did it come to be in my families possession ?
It seems it maybe of historical iterest to someone.
Harmer, Kempson, Kiesler, Oakland, Payne, Crowle, Sutherland, Tulloch, Ward, Benfold, Donovan, Brooks, Smith,

Offline david54

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 28 June 17 01:53 BST (UK) »

Good morning Martin,

I tried to send you an email regarding this medal/medallion you have that was Thomas Y Cotter's.

I would be interested in seeing it please, I am a direct descendant of TY Cotter and his daughter is my GG grandmother.

Not sure where you are located (I am in Adelaide) but please drop me a email and I would like to meet, maybe photograph the medal for my own family research.

Thank you

David

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 28 June 17 03:15 BST (UK) »
Hi David,

If you look to the left of the post under Martin's name it says..

"I am sorry but my email address is no longer working" i.e. you may not get a reply and furthermore he hasn't been on this site since 2011.

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Bryan Richards

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 01 December 17 22:31 GMT (UK) »
David 54
You state your wife is ggdaughter of T.Y.Cotter I have been researching this family since 2003.
I have nearly completed their history.
T.Y. Cotter's mother Ellen Young comes from the Young Family of Bantry was known to be involved in the Bantry Fishery since at least 1590. My research shows that 1752 Plummer Young and Mary Lee  Probably of Young fish Merchant Family the Christian name runs in the family in a 1770 deed Thomas Young first son of Plummer is a life. Thomas Young became a fish curer in Main Street Bantry and his daughter Ellen married Richard Cotter a purser in the RN. Have his full naval career from UK national Archives. Did you know that a John Thomas Young a Tobacconist in north terrace  was renting a four roomed house from Dr.T Y Cotter 1841 to 1851 and was his cousin. J.T. Young's father john Young Was Ellen Youngs brother. Need to find out the children of 31st December  1838 John Thomas Young leaves Sydney Australia, [no mention of wife or children suggesting he is unaccompanied] on board Nereus and arrives in Adelaide 27th January  then 19th July 1839 Young, Mrs and children arrive Adelaide South Australia on board the Abercrombie.

Offline david54

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 02 December 17 06:38 GMT (UK) »

Hi Bryan,

No, not wife (have not had one of those for many years), me.

My gggrandmother was Ellen Fisher Cotter and I was of the understanding that his family would have travelled with him when Thomas Young ..... arrived in SA as he was Surgeon Lt to the Governor of the new state of South Aust.

Logically I guess, family would have arrived later, navy vessels and protocols. I am not sure but will have look in state archives.

My issue and problems lie as much with Ellen Fisher Cotter's husband of which there are huge gaps in his story ..... another thread cover my questions there.

Thanks for the info

David

Offline Bryan Richards

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 02 December 17 11:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi David
Unfortunately this thread is very limited for passing on information.  Dr. T. Y Cotter had seven siblings. Their parents Richard Cotter born Parish Cloyne [East of Cork] circa 1776 [according to his naval records and  died from T.B. whilst purser on HMS President off Portsmouth March 1834 and buried in the memorial gardens of Haslar Naval Hospital. Their Mother Ellen Young Born Bantry circa 1788 and died 1870 [have death certificate] and buried in the Abbey Graveyard Bantry. Her age at death and on the 1851 English Census varies, but she was a young unmarried teenager when her first child Dr. T.Y. Cotter was born on, 2nd November 1805.  Richard and Ellen married on the 7th January 1806 in the Catholic Church Bantr. One of the Witnesses was Thomas Young her father. They again married in the queen chapel of the savoy London in the October 1806, this time to obtain a certificate of marriage for the navy so she would get a pension in the event of his death. to be continued....