Author Topic: Mystery find  (Read 9931 times)

Offline Bryan Richards

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Mystery find
« Reply #27 on: Monday 15 October 18 16:30 BST (UK) »
The arrival of J.T Young provded us with an enigma. His original application was for family of 4 to van Damiens Land 1831 in Irish records shows  Lavinia from Liverpoool, but his wife Catherine died before arrival Capetown. So what happened to him and 2 children between 1831 and 1834 ? Did he return to London from Capetown. One  J young arrives Van Damien Land no mention of children but this maybe a Baker shown on shiplist website.  The arrival document British Sovereign steerage  and if you can assume the mark ‘ in the childrens columns shows three children  1 boy and girl over 12 years of age and one female under 12 ? But he did not marry for the first time until 1827 Also country column says England not Ireland ?  In 1841 Adelaide shows two children one under 7 and one under 14  but over 7
wife now Margaret who ?

Are there two John Thomas Young’s  as the one married as a widower to Margaret Larrymore in Sydney 1836  there is a larrymore link over his tobacco business in George Street Sydney but he in 1838  sells the business and goes by Nereus to Adelaide and starts tobacco busniness again later  his daughters marriage gives mother as Margaret Linzy ?  Can’t find Sydney marriage of to a Linzy(Linsey)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Tuesday 16 October 18 01:46 BST (UK) »
Side tracking ...

Margaret LARRYMORE arrived per the Duchess of Northumberland in 1835.  She was 25.

Margaret LARRYMORE married John T YOUNG in 1836, as per Vol 73A, line 419. as per NSW BDM online and a record of that marriage is held within the Scots Church, Sydney's registers.             

It may well be the marriage was celebrated at Scots Church, but it is also possible the Scots Church record is a transmitted record from anywhere within the then NSW territories ... Presbyterian Rev'ds on circuits would strive to transmit their baptisms, burials, weddings, back to their 'head office' in Sydney.  (Add, so too all the clergy of all the various denominations)... That practice dates from a general order by Governor Lachlan Macquarie in 1810, and obeyed more by its breach than by rigid adherence until 1856 when civil registration commenced.   So, not all marriages are found at NSW BDM, and when any are found, it is important to recognise that the actual indexing of those Early Church Records was not undertaken until the 1930s, and then it was under a team of volunteers striving to cope with the bound volumes that had not been bound until the 1910s... so a document from the 1830s may well have been thumbed through many times, ink bleeds, smudges etc. 

JM

The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Tuesday 16 October 18 02:39 BST (UK) »
 :)  :)
Married Sydney
John YOUNG and Miss Margaret LARRYMORE, both of Sydney.
https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/31717567  Colonist 28 January 1836.

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Tuesday 16 October 18 02:50 BST (UK) »
J T YOUNG sells his retail business in Sydney in December 1838 to the Cockburns
https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/31722145  5 December 1838 The Colonist.

COCKBURN  ;D  ;D that's a name in my NSW family tree, and from that era too.   :) but I doubt that has any connection to T Y COTTER, the name on Martin Harmer's mystery find.   :D

JM

Offline Bryan Richards

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Tuesday 16 October 18 16:34 BST (UK) »
Apologies we have gone slightly off topic. But J.T. Young was his cousin who in 1840's resided in property leased by T.Y. Cotter in Adelaide and there's a mystery surrounding his marriage and  how he arrived in Adelaide.
Thomas Young Cotter was one of the founders of the Masonic Lodge Adelaide, was an honorary life member of the Oddfellows Society and a member of the Foresters' Society. Which should confirm the "Mystery" Find as belonging to him.

Offline LORRAINECOTTER

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Monday 20 June 22 00:12 BST (UK) »
Hello Everyone,  Just wanted to ask whether any of you know anything about my grandfather, Edward Cotter, son of Edward Gervais Cotter and Anna Maria Sleep.  My father was also Edward - Edward Jervis Cotter.

My grandfather married Bridget Spalding in Western Victoria and he died in Melbourne in the 1970s. Of particular interest is Bridget.  We know nothing about her apart from having married my grandfather.

Regards,
Lorraine Cotter

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Thursday 23 June 22 07:31 BST (UK) »
Hi Lorraine.
Bridget was probably the daughter of John SPALDING and Mary nee MORONEY.

SPOLDING  Bridt   
Mother Mary  MORNEY 
Father Jno   
At SOUTHERN CROSS
1891 / 37137

The couple had a number of other children in the district.  You can search for them here
https://my.rio.bdm.vic.gov.au/efamily-history/61dce29c482f41233900a221

She died in 1952 and was interred-
Name Bridget Veronica COTTER
Age 60
At W Gul, Victoria
Year   1952
Father John Spalding
Mother Mary Money  (sic)
Reg    19765

Interred-
Bridget Veronica COTTER
4 Apr 1952
Cemetery Warragul Cemetery
Warragul, Baw Baw Shire, Victoria, Australia

Your grandfather died in 1974

Garnett Edward J Cotter
1974   Noble Park,
Father Jervi
Mother Unknown
Reg 27993

Buying and downloading the marriage of Edward and Bridget may verify my suggestions
Edwd COTTER
Etta SPOLDING
Reg 4604

She used the name Ettie, Etta, and variations for the registration of children's births and her Electoral Roll registration

EDIT
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline LORRAINECOTTER

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Monday 27 June 22 11:48 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much.  You have been very helpful.

Lorraine Cotter

Offline NettyBetty

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Saturday 15 April 23 15:12 BST (UK) »
Hello Everyone,  Just wanted to ask whether any of you know anything about my grandfather, Edward Cotter, son of Edward Gervais Cotter and Anna Maria Sleep.  My father was also Edward - Edward Jervis Cotter.

My grandfather married Bridget Spalding in Western Victoria and he died in Melbourne in the 1970s. Of particular interest is Bridget.  We know nothing about her apart from having married my grandfather.

Regards,
Lorraine Cotter

Hi Lorraine,  I have recently discovered my GG Grandfather (Edward Gervais Cotter) grave in Western Victoria (Sadly unmarked) and under the name of Jervis Cotter. (No Edward)  I was so excited to find this with my sister!  I'm going to go to the historical society next week to hopefully find more information on him. We can't find any information on his wife Anna Maria Sleep and don't know where she is buried. Would you have this info?
Thanks
NettyBetty