Author Topic: Richard grenville Malet . India .  (Read 3039 times)

Offline frederickay

• RootsChat Veteran
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Richard grenville Malet . India .
« on: Saturday 30 July 11 09:07 BST (UK) »
I am still looking for Richard Grenville MALET> he was born abt 1840 and married my great grand aunt Isabella Milner Wharton in Plimlico London in 1861 .
 he was educated at st Paul's College in Calcutta and may have returned sometime after 1861 to India . i believe he was in Gujarat or Rajasthan .
 he was Anglo-Indian and the Malet family were in India military for many years .
 Could anyone point tme in direction pls.
 Thanks
 Fred
valentine.fairhurst,hayes,hammond,codling,rust.norfolk.deyrujo.jutsum.wharton.lacey,probert,prickett,preby atherley-jones.clifton ..london /china. judd, eubank , dixon , hine , airey ,park .twentyman , dampier , jones in suffolk , limby , derrick , stockwell..

Offline Dazey999

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Richard grenville Malet . India .
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 30 July 11 10:18 BST (UK) »
You may already have this, Fred, but Family Search has the death/burial of an Isabella Mabel Malet on 3 Aug 1875 at Sewree, Bombay - aged 36
Dazey

Offline frederickay

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 30 July 11 11:10 BST (UK) »
ohh no i have never seen that . there are quite a few malets but it seems a coincidence that it is Isabella M... malet ..The age is very similar . i will be sad if it is her . i hope they had children that i may be able to find . I think ?? that there is a single Richard Malet back in England in  one of the census .. i will look at my notes . was there anything else there . it sounds very likely ..
 as i say quite sad i have looked for her for ages . she was 20 at her marriage in 1861 ..
 Thank you . Fred
valentine.fairhurst,hayes,hammond,codling,rust.norfolk.deyrujo.jutsum.wharton.lacey,probert,prickett,preby atherley-jones.clifton ..london /china. judd, eubank , dixon , hine , airey ,park .twentyman , dampier , jones in suffolk , limby , derrick , stockwell..

Offline Dazey999

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 30 July 11 13:58 BST (UK) »
Isabella Milner Wharton's birth was registered in East Ward, Westmorland, in the December quarter of 1839.  I'm not sure though...Milner/Mabel??  Will keep looking!

Offline Dazey999

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 30 July 11 14:08 BST (UK) »
Do you know if Richard was in the Army?  I have found a Captain Malet (Grenadier Guards) in the 1861 census lodging at 27 Davies Street, St George Hanover Square.  Age 23, birthplace not recorded.  Head of the household was William Lucas (fishmonger)

Offline frederickay

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 30 July 11 20:39 BST (UK) »
Hi yes that is the same Isabella Milner Wharton (but possibly not the Isabella Mabel Malet ). she was born in westmoreland and her father is John Milner Wharton
 My gggrandfather .
. i was till up at midnight looking thru google .
 there is the odd Mabel malet in India so i will put this together . her daughter /her niece or absolutely nothing to do with my Isabella milner Wharton at all.???
. Richard comes from a military family but there is no mention of him being  soldier on his wedding cert just,'' gentleman " and not at that address.
 tho i have not pursued that avenue .
 i will spend some detailed time on it .
 I have sent some e mails off and am trying to find the transcription to her grave which in all likelhood is Sewri cemtery, an English cemetery which was established before this death . All of Which I have only found out since your post . ;D
 thanks jan

Offline frederickay

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 31 July 11 01:17 BST (UK) »
Hi  spent morning googling and have to say that Isabella and Mabel are Malet family  names  if i turn up a birth the right age it might be a maiden aunt Isabella Mabel Malet and not a transcription error . still looking . Jan