Author Topic: Wright Family - Moor Hall Widnes  (Read 3114 times)

Offline dodger123

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Wright Family - Moor Hall Widnes
« on: Saturday 30 July 11 10:54 BST (UK) »
Hi,
I'm trying to find out more information about my relations the Wrights.

Does anyone have any information about a Farm called Moor Hall in Widnes which was run/owned by Robert Wright and Maria Wright (1851 census).  His father Mark Wright b1792 - 1849 ran/owned Croft House Farm in Widnes which appears to be next to Roberts. I would be interested in any maps of the area or knowing how I can get a copy of the deeds etc.

I know when Mark Wright died all the kids ended up running pubs after they sold off the farm, The Curedley Arms, Wellington Hotel and Sportsmans Arms in Widnes (West Bank).

Any help would be much appreciated.
Cheers,
Phil

Offline aggiebagwash

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Wright Family - Moor Hall Widnes
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 30 July 11 21:35 BST (UK) »

If you search on genuki Widnes, and then click on maps on the right hand side of the Widnes page, and then click on Widnes old maps there's an 1849 map with Croft House and Moor Lane in the centre of the map.

Margaret

Offline dodger123

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 31 July 11 06:44 BST (UK) »
Thanks Margaret for the link to the maps, it is much appreciated  :).  I found Crofts House but could not locate Moor Hall farm unfortunatley which is a shame, wondering if it went by any other name.

Cheers,
Phil

Offline aggiebagwash

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 31 July 11 09:57 BST (UK) »
It's a possibility that the name was changed.

Why don't you contact the local archives to see if they've got the relevent Tithe maps? Now you know approximately where the farms were it should be relatively easy to find both farms. 

If I can't pinpoint an address I tend to move round the area in ever increasing circles and those maps don't cover a large area really.

Maybe Croft House isn't linked to Croft Farm and Moor Hall Farm wasn't on Moor Lane but at least you can eliminate them can't you.

Margaret

Offline dodger123

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 31 July 11 10:06 BST (UK) »
Thanks Margaret for your help, I will email the archives and see how I go.  Pity I did not visit the archives last time I was over in the UK.

Cheers,
Phil

Offline aggiebagwash

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 31 July 11 10:21 BST (UK) »
Let me know how you go on won't you?

I've only ever needed to use Tithe maps once and that was many years ago but they were interesting.

Looking at the 1841 census the address is Croft House not Croft House Farm although it does say Mark is a farmer. It could just be that the word Farm has not been recorded. The next address is Moor Side  Another address is Nook House so if you can find them you know you're in the right or Wright area. LOL

I've just had a look on the 1851 census for Robert and Maria and it says he's a farm labourer not a farmer so he didn't own or run a farm just worked on one.

Margaret

Offline dodger123

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 31 July 11 10:35 BST (UK) »
I found the family on the 1841 census, and was trying to use where the other people on the census lived to get my bearings of Croft House but could not really work them out.

I also found out about Croft House through a book called the Last of England (about all the old Widnes pubs) which had the family in it and talked about the farm before the kids moved out and went as publicans.

I will let you know how I go, thanks again  :)

Phil

Offline michaelcharles

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 12 September 18 12:34 BST (UK) »
I know your request is a few years old, but did you ever locate Moorside Farm, Widnes. I know exactly where it was. My father lived there in the 1920's. I would send you a picture, but can't seem to upload. Happy to help on any information re. Widnes.

Offline dodger123

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 13 September 18 05:37 BST (UK) »
Hi,
Unfortunately I never did find any further information on Moorside farm in Widnes. Thank you so much Michaelcharles for offering to help with info, as I would love to find out more about this property and where it was.