Author Topic: Redpath family in Jamaica  (Read 6123 times)

Offline DebbieG

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Redpath family in Jamaica
« on: Sunday 31 July 11 09:11 BST (UK) »

Hi - I know I need to tred a bit carefully here as the information I am hoping to find is of a more recent nature and could involve people who are still alive,  but maybe someone could give me some general advice of where/what to try next?

I am looking for relatives of the wife of my mums cousin James Herbert Whiteman in the hope that they will know what became of him and his family.  He was James Herbert Whiteman born in 1923 in Ipswich he married Barbara Redpath born 1925 in Jamaica - they married in Jamaica and later went to British Guiana in 1960 when the family here lost touch with them.  Barb on the Canada board turned up some wonderful information about Brabra Redpath's family for me last night

..........................................................................................

The IGI has a digital image of her birth certificate, listing the date as 12 Apr 1925, and parents William Henry Redpath and mother Viola Evelyn Scully; location Denbigh,Clarendon, Jamaica
Father's occupation: planter

(just in case you haven't seen it!)

Using the parents names as base point for searching, you can also view the images of her siblings:
John Ansell Redpath
Herbert Henry Redpath
William George Redpath
Helen Redpath
Cicely Evelyn Redpath

Maybe there is some clue that can be found with her siblings as to the Canada angle?

Barb

Edited to add:
If you go to http://www.discoverjamaica.com/rnames.htm you will find a biography of Barbara's brother John Ansell Redpath.

....................................................................................

So Barbara had several brothers and sisters - if I could find an offspring of one of them I am hoping they would have news of James & Barbara and their 3or4 children.  However I have been Googleing away this morning and coming up blank on any further information which seems to fit with this Redpath family in Jamaica,  all I have managed is a couple of incomming passenger lists to England for John Ansell Redpath.

Sorry this is a bit long - but please does anyone have any advice on where to look next?

DebbieG
Pay(n)ton, Payton, Pe(a)rton all Oxfordshire and Berkshire - particularly Abingdon

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Dazey999

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Redpath family in Jamaica
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 31 July 11 09:34 BST (UK) »
Hi Debbie

Again - it's about John Ansell Redpath - but it might be of interest:

http://www.discoverjamaica.com/rnames.htm

Seems Viola Evelyn was the daughter of a planter (George Scully) and she married William Henry in 1914

Dazey

Offline DebbieG

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 31 July 11 10:04 BST (UK) »
Hi Dazey - thanks for that and the PM

I am finding Scully records going further back on family search now,  but I can't see the marriage - where did you find it?

DebbieG
Pay(n)ton, Payton, Pe(a)rton all Oxfordshire and Berkshire - particularly Abingdon

Offline Dazey999

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 31 July 11 10:11 BST (UK) »
A snippet on Google Books - search Viola Evelyn Scully

Dazey

Offline DebbieG

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 31 July 11 10:31 BST (UK) »
Got it - Thanks

On search in the same book on Redpath it gave me "William Henry Hudson Redpath  MBE" so another snippit or clue

:)

DebbieG

Offline AngelaL

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 10 January 12 01:36 GMT (UK) »
  Hi Debbie G.  I located your posting via a google search, as a cousin in Jamaica alerted me to your query. Which side of the Whiteman family are you from? My parents are Jim and Babs (nee Redpath) Whiteman, who are doing well.  Looking forward to hearing from you.

Offline DebbieG

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 20 January 12 16:34 GMT (UK) »
Oh wow - Hi cousin     :)

so sorry not to have replied to you before - I have been busy at work and have only just seen this,  Jim is my mums cousin,  my gran Kathleen Whiteman, was the younger sister of Jim's dad James Whiteman.  We have wondered for years what became of Jim (young Jim as my mum always refers to him) & Barbara and their family.  I am going to try and PM you but I am not sure if you have to post 3 times before I can.

:D

DebbieG

Offline AngelaL

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 21 January 12 23:08 GMT (UK) »
Great to hear from you!  Dad thinks your mum must be Pam and Peg is her older sister.  We all live in Canada having emigrated here when I was a teenager, after living in South America for many years.  Dad is looking forward to news of the family, as he had tried his own search some time back. 

Offline DebbieG

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 22 January 12 09:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi Angela -yes that's me

did you get the message I sent you with my E-mail addy in?  if you go to the top right of the page and click on the word messages you should be able to see it,  we aren't suppossed to put stuff about living people on here so it would be really good if we can make contact be E-mail

Hope to hear from you

DebbieG