Author Topic: John Lloyd D.Lovat d.11/11/1918  (Read 31743 times)

Offline Crunwere

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John Lloyd D.Lovat d.11/11/1918
« on: Sunday 31 July 11 12:48 BST (UK) »
This is linked to my original query in uk - http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=546859.new;topicseen#new

Since that post we have found that JOHN LLOYD's Attestation Papers show he enlisted on Feb 22nd 1916.  His date of birth is shown as 19 Nov 1875.  His wife, Sarah Jane remained back in Wales at Ruel Wall, Crunwear, Pembrokeshire.

We know his residence was shown on the papers as 'Tophild Alta'
would that be Topfield?

All we know is that he died on 11/11/1918 and his gravestone back in Wales states D.Lovat, Canada - -can anyone help fill in what happened and where he is buried pleae?

Offline valeriec

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: John Lloys D.Lovat d.11/11/1918
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 31 July 11 14:41 BST (UK) »
John Lloyd
Regimental # 101679
joined 22 Feb 1916, Edmonton, Alberta
66th Oversea Battalion, Edmonton Guards

Embarkation, 66th Battalion
Halifax
SS Olympic
April 28, 1916

John Lloyd is on the list

I would order his complete military file from Library and Archives Canada, the same site that you viewed his attestation papers. They are well worth the money and may give you the information that you are searching for. If he died in 1918, it was probably in a military hospital back in Canada. The file will give you this information. Debarkation of soldiers after the first world war was usually in 1919 so for him to be back in Canada before that would suggest he was injured. His military file will give you info on pay docs, next of kin, transfers to battalions, injuries, hospitals and possibly his death.

The 66th battalion was broken up upon arrival in England and the men transferred to other battalions. I haven't been able to determine where he went.

Other sources that may help you are the public library in Edmonton and also the military museum in Calgary.

www.themilitarymuseums.ca

I checked the Commonwealth War Graves Commissions and he isn't listed so didn't die overseas.

Tofield is a small community 68 km east of Edmonton.

Hope this helps. 

Offline Crunwere

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 31 July 11 14:51 BST (UK) »
Thanks Valeriec - so much info in such a short spcae of time - thansk for the pointers - we will follow them up.

Offline valeriec

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 31 July 11 15:35 BST (UK) »
According to one site the 66th Battalion was raised in Edmonton Alberta is August 1915 and sailed in 1916 under the command of Lt. Col. J. W. McKinery with a strength of 1007, all ranks.
The Battalion was absorbed into the 9th Reserve Battalion in England and disbanded in 1920.

Some War diaries are available at Library and Archives Canada and only one month for the 66th battalion (April 1916).

I haven't been able to determine what happened with the 9th Reserve.

I really think I would order his file.

In one file that I ordered (my grandfather), I was able to determine the battalion he was with when he was injured and then went to the war diaries to read what went on the day he was injured. it was very informative. He actually spent 11 days in field hospitals before being sent back to England where he was in 3 different hospitals before being sent back to Canada. Every movement was in his file, dates taken on strength and off, exact dates for hospitals, etc. Amazing for the time period and everything written by hand or typed.

Offline valeriec

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 31 July 11 15:44 BST (UK) »
info on the 9th reserve from the Matrix Project

http://www.cefresearch.com/matrix/Utilities/reserves/9th.htm

Offline Crunwere

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 31 July 11 17:14 BST (UK) »
Thanks Valeriec for helping us out so much - I am sure my friend will order the file as suggested.  How fascinating to have so much information aiiable.
Thanks for pointing us in the right direction.

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 31 July 11 21:56 BST (UK) »
It says Tofield on the signup  http://data2.archives.ca/cef/gpc009/469156a.gif
Valerie has given you the best advice...to order the military file. No hospitals, military or otherwise....come up for Lovat, Nova Scotia.... Hopefully the papers will explain more for you, as medical history is often a main element.  J.J.

( also suggest that you modify to correct the main subject line to read Lloyd )

"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com

Offline Crunwere

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: John Lloyd D.Lovat d.11/11/1918
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 31 July 11 23:56 BST (UK) »
Thanks J.J. - and I've altered (corrected) the heading!

Offline Crunwere

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: John Lloyd D.Lovat d.11/11/1918
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 06 September 11 11:00 BST (UK) »
Back again - have turned up a bit more from the Welsh side.
There is a matching gravestone in Eglwyscummin Churchyard. "John Lloyd, son of the aforesaid ( Walter Lloyd), Died Nov 11th 1918 aged 44. Interred at Lovat, Alberta, Canada." No mention of a wife and family. It was only when I was going through my collection of Eglwyscummin family graves that the penny dropped with a thud that your mystery John Lloyd was the same as my mystery John Lloyd. I had wondered about him since I saw his name a few years ago, and what he was doing out in Canada. He is a member of a very old and well established family in Eglwyscummin, going back at least to the early 1700's.

So it seems he is buried at Lovat - anyone I can contact who may have info on Lovat graves/headstones?