Author Topic: John Lloyd D.Lovat d.11/11/1918  (Read 31744 times)

Offline Crunwere

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: John Lloyd D.Lovat d.11/11/1918
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 09 October 11 21:44 BST (UK) »
1st Canadian Entrenching Bn diaries for 1916/17 are here - http://www.canadiangreatwarproject.com/warDiaryLac/wdLacP15.asp

1st Entrenching Bn at Vimy Ridge - see Wikipedia - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Vimy_Ridge_order_of_battle

Offline Crunwere

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 09 October 11 21:54 BST (UK) »
G.W.V.A. Edmonton = Great War Veterans Association (GWVA) - but where would he have actualy lived??

Weird how he was taken from UK back to Canada when he was ill in hospital over in UK first?

The Llandovery Castle was a Canadian Hospital Ship.  From Wikipedia:

The Llandovery Castle, built in 1914 in Glasgow as RMS Llandovery Castle for Union Castle Line, was a Canadian hospital ship torpedoed off southern Ireland on 27 June 1918 with the loss of 234 lives.
When the crew took to the lifeboats, U-86 surfaced, ran down all the lifeboats except one, and shot at the people in the water. Only the 24 people in the remaining lifeboat survived. They were rescued shortly afterwards and testified as to what had happened. Among those lost were fourteen nursing sisters from across Canada.
After the war, the captain of U-86, Lieutenant Helmut Patzig, and two of his lieutenants were arraigned for trial in Germany on war crimes, but Brümmer-Patzig left the country and avoided extradition; and though the two lieutenants were convicted and sentenced to four years in prison, they both escaped.

Offline RedMystic

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Helen Cheyne (1863-1952)
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 09 October 11 22:32 BST (UK) »
Back again - have turned up a bit more from the Welsh side.
There is a matching gravestone in Eglwyscummin Churchyard. "John Lloyd, son of the aforesaid ( Walter Lloyd), Died Nov 11th 1918 aged 44. Interred at Lovat, Alberta, Canada." No mention of a wife and family. It was only when I was going through my collection of Eglwyscummin family graves that the penny dropped with a thud that your mystery John Lloyd was the same as my mystery John Lloyd. I had wondered about him since I saw his name a few years ago, and what he was doing out in Canada. He is a member of a very old and well established family in Eglwyscummin, going back at least to the early 1700's.

So it seems he is buried at Lovat - anyone I can contact who may have info on Lovat graves/headstones?

Lovett, AB was on the Alberta Coal Branch (rail line). I Googled it and found that an author / photographer with whom I am acquainted has written about Lovett and the other Coal Branch communities as well as taken a raft of photos.  I've sent him a message to ask if he can shed some light on the presence/condition of the graveyard at that location.

Cheers,
MACDONALD of Benbecula, Scotland, Earlswood/Wapella Sask
BAIN of Aberdeenshire, Trafford district, Red Jacket and Moosomin, Sask
CHEYNE of Aberdeenshire & Trafford district, Sask
FISHER of Yorkshire, Ontario & Saskatchewan
INKSTER of Shetland, Edinburgh, Sask and BC
GAUNT of Yorkshire, Kent, BC & Australia
KINCH of Ireland, PEI, Ab, Sask
CORCORAN of Ireland, PEI & Sask
GOTZ / GOETZ of Soufflenheim, Alsace & Ont
MITTELHAUSSER of Soufflenheim, Alsace
MULLER or MILLER of Drusenheim, Alsace & Ont

Offline Rhosgoch

• RootsChat Member
  • Granny Betsy Saer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 09 October 11 22:35 BST (UK) »
Just to clear up misunderstandings.

V.D.Heart - Vertigo, Dysporia, Heart.

Offline Crunwere

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 09 October 11 22:43 BST (UK) »
Thanks Red Mystic - that sounds very promising.

Offline RedMystic

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 09 October 11 23:00 BST (UK) »
Thanks Red Mystic - that sounds very promising.

In the event you want  to check out the terrain, here's a link.

http://www.ghosttowns.com/canada/alberta/albertacoalbranch.html

I'm heartened to see that there are photos of the graveyard at Robb (remains a community), which leads me to hope for the best when it comes to photos of the Lovett graveyard.

Though a ghost town now, Lovett was quite prosperous at the time your fellow was buried there.  Was the family from Eglwyscummin connected to coal mining in any way?

Offline RedMystic

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 09 October 11 23:10 BST (UK) »
Ahhh ...my author acquaintance has responded.

I was at Lovett in 2002. One needs special permission to go to the townsite and the cemetery. The entire area is owned by a mine company. When I was there the cemetery at Lovett was in remarkably good condition. I would love to go back there. There used to be four coal mining towns within 10 kilometres of each other - Lovett, Coal Valley, Foothills and Sterco. All are ghost towns now. Lovett though is in the best condition. There are still several buildings left at the townsite.

Is there any way I could help? I do have some great shots of the Lovett cemetery.

Would you like to make a request of him? If you PM me (using the green scroll below my avatar) with your e-mail address, perhaps I can connect the two of you. He is a lovely, generous fellow who may provide you with some pics.

I'm heading out for Thanksgiving dinner, but will return to the desktop in the morning.

Cheers,

Offline Crunwere

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 10 October 11 09:59 BST (UK) »
Thanks ever so much RedMystic - I have sent you a p.m..
Yes we would love your friend to help - but I do not want to put him to too much trouble in case that is the wrong place? Was just wondering if the Edmonton place he John Lloyd was living before he died might provide a link - or perhaps his death cert?
I would hate to send someone on a wild chase to the wrong place.
Hope you enjoyed your dinner!
Regards

ps - as far as we know he was not connected to mining and called himself a farmer - but who knows??

Offline RedMystic

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Monday 10 October 11 15:38 BST (UK) »
Hi Crunwere

I've sent an e-mail to you and my author acquaintance so you can connect on the Lovett cemetery discussion. Please let us know if that turns into anything.

Given that Lovett, AB was about 340 km west of Tofield along the Yellowhead Highway (which runs through east/west Edmonton), it's a stretch, but one never knows. Here it is on Google maps.

http://maps.google.ca/maps?rlz=1T4ADBS_enCA330CA330&q=tofield,+alberta&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hq=&hnear=0x53a0776f0a2e8f07:0xbabd75038cda1df6,Tofield,+AB&gl=ca&ei=nfySTvivJu74sQKgsbShAQ&sa=X&oi=geocode_result&ct=title&resnum

NOTE: Sorry, I can't get this link to work properly.  ::) You can see what I'm referencing if you open the link, click "Directions" on the left, leave the Tofield box as it is, and type "Robb" in the other box. (Robb is the closest community to Lovett that is still inhabitted.)

It occurred to me that you might want to try to obtain his will. If he had a farm by Tofield (it's lovely farm land), one would think he would have left that to someone - hopefully the wife he left behind in Wales, though one never knows.

I'm not sure how you'd go about that in Alberta, but I'm confident one of the the Chatters does.