Author Topic: DAVIS - Newnham, Gloucestershire  (Read 4796 times)

Offline purp72

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
DAVIS - Newnham, Gloucestershire
« on: Sunday 31 July 11 13:24 BST (UK) »
My 3x G grandmother was Louisa Ellen Wilkins, born c. 1819, in Bristol.  She married George Savage, who was a victualler, running the Brandy Cask, Bristol and then the Sea Horse, Upper Maudlin Street.

Her mother was Mary Davis (married name Wilkins),  born circa 1797, in Newnham, Glos.  Her mother was Mary Ann Davis (I do not know her maiden name), born circa 1775 also in Newnham, and her father was Robert Davis, born cira 1770 out of Gloucestershire.  Robert Davis and Mary Ann Davis were also victuallers, running the Barrel/Brandy Cask in Barton Alley, Bristol from at least 1830s until 1847. I believe Robert Davis died in approx. 1842, as Mary appears to have taken over the business.

I am looking for any information in relation to the DAVIS family in Newnham, including the maiden name of Mary Ann. 

Many thanks.

Purp72
DIXSON/DIXON - Ripon/Harrogate/Leeds
ELLIS - Gildersome/Cleckheaton/Leeds
HARDCASTLE - Ripon
HOWELL(S) - Brawdy/Barrow in Furness
JOHN - Pendine/Marros/Swansea
KELLS - Dublin
LAWSON - Hunslet
LEAHY/LEE - Ireland/Brecknock/Swansea
LUCAS - Hunslet
MORGAN - St Davids
POLLARD - Weymouth/Ripon/Harrogate/Leeds
REES - Solva
REID - Halifax/Leeds
SAVAGE - Bristol/Leeds

Offline Bilge

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: DAVIS - Newnham, Gloucestershire
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 03 August 11 12:01 BST (UK) »
Have you seen this?

http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/GLS/Mitcheldean/Pigot1830.html

also look here there are 102 DAVIS listed for Newnham. http://www.forest-of-dean.net/

You will need to register though.
ABELL-Hfds & Glouc. AWFORD-Glouc, Hfds & Worcs. DANTER-Glouc,Hfds & Worcs. DAUNTER-Hfds, Glouc & Worcs. BAYLISS-Worcs & Glouc. BILLINGHAM-Hfds. JENKINS-Glam, & Hfds. PIPER-Suffolk, Glam & Hfds. CULLUM-Hfds, Suffolk & Mom.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives

Offline purp72

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: DAVIS/BRIDGE/JONES - Newnham, Gloucestershire
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 03 January 15 18:35 GMT (UK) »
Having done a litte more research, I know believe that my 4x GG was born Mary Bridge in Newnham in 1797 to Mary Ann and William Bridge.  William Bridge was a surgeon/apothecary and married Mary Ann, daughter of Charles Jones, in 1797 in Newnham.

There is a marriage of Mary Bridge to Robert Davis in Bedminster in 1804 but I have not been able to find any details of William Bridge's death - presumably between 1797 and 1804.  I'm also interested to find out anything further about William Bridge but am struggling with pre-1837 records so any help would be gratefully received.

Many thanks

DIXSON/DIXON - Ripon/Harrogate/Leeds
ELLIS - Gildersome/Cleckheaton/Leeds
HARDCASTLE - Ripon
HOWELL(S) - Brawdy/Barrow in Furness
JOHN - Pendine/Marros/Swansea
KELLS - Dublin
LAWSON - Hunslet
LEAHY/LEE - Ireland/Brecknock/Swansea
LUCAS - Hunslet
MORGAN - St Davids
POLLARD - Weymouth/Ripon/Harrogate/Leeds
REES - Solva
REID - Halifax/Leeds
SAVAGE - Bristol/Leeds

Offline Regorian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Henry Griffiths Jnr c1914, HMS Achilles
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 03 January 15 19:05 GMT (UK) »
I am a member of forest-of-dean.org. Just put in parish register search for baptism of Mary Bridge Newnham 1797, dau of William and Mary Ann Bridge. Nothing comes up.
Griffiths Llandogo, Mitcheltroy, Mon. and Whitchurch Here (Also Edwards),  18th C., Griffiths FoD 19th Century.

Offline giggsycat

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 03 January 15 19:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Baptised 27/05/1802, but actually born 20/08/1797 on transcript.

Record_ID:   146227

Offline Regorian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Henry Griffiths Jnr c1914, HMS Achilles
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 03 January 15 19:27 GMT (UK) »
OK, what's next. My family was much associated with Newnham, not a big town, still isn't. FoD.org has good parish register database going beyond strict boundaries of FoD.
Griffiths Llandogo, Mitcheltroy, Mon. and Whitchurch Here (Also Edwards),  18th C., Griffiths FoD 19th Century.

Offline Victor Harvey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Victor is very ill, this account will close soon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 03 January 15 20:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
Good evening.
Source: Bristol & Avon Family History Society (BAFHS) Baptismal, Marriage & Burial Registers Collection & Bristol Records Office - Register 2b, Page 184, Number 1471.
WILKINS, Louisa Ellen, (d/o) William & Mary, baptised 5th April 1820 at St James, Bristol.
Victor
HARVEY, Guiting Power, Glos                     
PORTER, Gunmakers of Whitechapel
ALLEN - Blockley, BOWLES - Notgrove, BURROWS - Sevenhampton, COOK - Notgrove, DRINKWATER-LUNN - Aston Cross, FARDON - Temple Guiting, FAULKNER - Cheltenham, GADEN, GAYDEN, GAYDON, GRINHAM - Cheltenham, HART - Stow-on-the-Wold, LANE - Staverton, MOABY - Coln St Aldwyns, STAITE - Temple Guiting, TIMBRELL - Winchcombe, TYSOE - Warks & Glos, WHITFORD - Stanway, WINTLE - Forest of Dean, WYNNIATT - Stanway

Offline valton

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 26 August 15 16:53 BST (UK) »
Hi, I am researching this family too, because a member of my family, Thomas Davis, auctioneer and earlier in the business of Toy selling, lived and worked in Barton Alley about 1816.

Robert and Mary Davis are in Bristol in the 1841 census with Mary Wilkins age 40, but all say they were not born in County.

Robert died 18 June 1841, found in an old newspaper, and was buried 24 June in St.James Bristol. I don't suppose you have access to that register?

I would be pleased to learn more about the census birthplace discrepancy with your own work.

Thanks, I am trying to locate a Thomas Davis, father of the Thomas on Barton Alley, who married an Elizabeth Smith. Robert was the right age to be his brother, but no luck so far.

Val in Canada.

Offline Victor Harvey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Victor is very ill, this account will close soon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 26 August 15 17:06 BST (UK) »
Hi Val,
I'm afraid that I do not have access to the burial register for Robert DAVIS. My records pre-date 1837. It is possible that BAFHS have it recorded on microfiche, and would probably do a lookup for you.
www.bafhs.org.uk
Failing that you'll have ask Bristol Records Office to look it up for you. A digitalised version could possibly  be available on A******y.
Victor
HARVEY, Guiting Power, Glos                     
PORTER, Gunmakers of Whitechapel
ALLEN - Blockley, BOWLES - Notgrove, BURROWS - Sevenhampton, COOK - Notgrove, DRINKWATER-LUNN - Aston Cross, FARDON - Temple Guiting, FAULKNER - Cheltenham, GADEN, GAYDEN, GAYDON, GRINHAM - Cheltenham, HART - Stow-on-the-Wold, LANE - Staverton, MOABY - Coln St Aldwyns, STAITE - Temple Guiting, TIMBRELL - Winchcombe, TYSOE - Warks & Glos, WHITFORD - Stanway, WINTLE - Forest of Dean, WYNNIATT - Stanway