Author Topic: Rev. John Jones, Talysarn  (Read 35952 times)

Offline big g

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Rev. John Jones, Talysarn
« on: Monday 01 August 11 12:01 BST (UK) »
Rev. John Jones born Talysarn 1796 died 1857, had brother David also a preacher c1805 Talysarn died 1868.

Just wondering if there are any descendants of John and David still living in the Nantlle valley area?

Some years ago I obtained copies of documents deposited at Caernarvon by Rev. Stanley Hadyn Williams, and one document, difficulty to read, was "Pedigree of the late Rev.John Jones, Talysarn"

Not sure if Stanley had this item because he  or his wife, Ellen Elsie Owen , or even his mother, Jane Griffiths, were related to John's family, or just because of his interest in Welsh Calvanistic Methodist preachers.
Williams - Llanllyfni Llandwrog Llanrug Bedd Austr.
Jones - Beddgelert/Nantlle
Parry - Llanllyfni
Owen s - Beddgelert
Pierce - Llanrug
Jarvis/Jervis - Llanrug
Roberts - Llanddeiniolen
Griffith  - Beddgellert/LLanrug

"This information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"

Corrin - I.o.M./Bootle/K'dale/Seaforth
Stewart - Durham L'pool
Whitford -I o M L'pool
Atkinson - Bootle K'dale
Crookham - Formby Crosby L'pool

Lloyd Dickinson Burgess Threlfall Tarbuck - Lancs

Offline aginger

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Rev. John Jones, Talysarn
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 27 October 11 11:05 BST (UK) »
big g,  I have never heard of Rev, Stanley Hadyn Williams work on JJ but have other h/w and printed pedigrees of this "Jones" family who in the next generation called themselves "Lloyd Jones" it being the patronymic "Lloyd" which is the old family surname from long ago.
My 3x Gt Nain, Jane Williams was a first cousin of JJ,their mothers were sisters.
My copy of JJ,s biography of 1886 tells much of the family,but many "Lloyd Jones" headed to the USA at Cambria Wisconsin and from there emanated a huge pedigree written in the "Wheel"which is held by many family members.
A man named" David Lloyd Jones" was the last person recorded as possessing the Family Bible of Angharad James 1680-1749, Poetess, which records the family pedigree,oh if only I could make contact with the present keeper!! her prayerbook inscriptions are available in NLW
Allen..
Williams,Lloyd Williams[N  Wales]
Hughes, Painter ,Giles,Heath,Bourton,Sansum,Legg,[Wilts]
 Giles, Gilles, Gyles, [Glos/Oxon]

Offline big g

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 02 November 11 17:06 GMT (UK) »
Allen,

I have sent by email copy of the document I purchased from Caernarvon Archives - papers deposited by Parch Stanley Williams and Dr. Gwilym Arthur Jones, XD94, item 15.

Rev. Stanley Hadyn Williams was a cousin of my late father, hence my interest in his papers.

It would appear that Rev. John Jones had daughter Margaret who married John Hughes Williams, they had son, John A.A. Williams.

Glenys
Williams - Llanllyfni Llandwrog Llanrug Bedd Austr.
Jones - Beddgelert/Nantlle
Parry - Llanllyfni
Owen s - Beddgelert
Pierce - Llanrug
Jarvis/Jervis - Llanrug
Roberts - Llanddeiniolen
Griffith  - Beddgellert/LLanrug

"This information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"

Corrin - I.o.M./Bootle/K'dale/Seaforth
Stewart - Durham L'pool
Whitford -I o M L'pool
Atkinson - Bootle K'dale
Crookham - Formby Crosby L'pool

Lloyd Dickinson Burgess Threlfall Tarbuck - Lancs

Offline drummergirl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 17 February 12 11:19 GMT (UK) »
Hello, I am brand new to this site.  We recently learned that my husband is a descendant of William Prichard and Angharad James twice, through John Jones and Elinor ach Rhisiart, and through John William Llywd and Catherine vch William.

I have received a copy of the big family wheel that lists the children and grandchildren of John Jones and Elinor ach Rhisiart (although some of it is missing because the paper wasn't large enough).  Do you know who put this family wheel together and when?  I am hoping that it is reliable, because it shows a definite link to the family that we were missing, plus it has so much information on it, but I have learned to trust nothing in family history research without documentation of where sources came from.

I'd appreciate any advice or information you can give about this family wheel.
Thanks!
Michelle

Offline aginger

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 20 February 12 09:09 GMT (UK) »
Michelle,I have sent you a PM,
To go along with the "Wheel" is a long list[my copy is a very old handwritten sheet which goes back rather a long way],it states where much of the info was obtained from ie Heraldic Visitations etc, my copy came to me 20 years ago when I visited "Tanycastell"the old home of the Jones family, and, somewhere I have seen the names "Ruth and Burt De Groot"I have a Newspaper report showing the original Wheel and its then keeper, in the USA,also stating, that it would be handed down within the family on her demise.
When my Gt Grandfather came to Wiltshire in 1868 he called himself Elias Lloyd Williams bn 1847 Glan Conwy, it turns out the "Lloyd," is our Patronymic, and, is very long standing.this took me many years to work out.
The next stage before the Wheel runs from "Hedd Molwynog"if you are interested!!
Allen.

Offline aginger

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 03 March 12 09:42 GMT (UK) »
Just found the papers!!Dated March 31st 1977,Randolph, Wisconsin USA.
"In the memoir of David Lloyd Jones,son of John Jones Talsarn,is a chart giving the lineage of John Jones back to Hedd Molwynog,founder of the 9th Noble Tribe of Gwynedd in the year 1079"
Question ;;;--- has anyone ever seen a copy?????????
"The Wheel Blueprint was drawn up by Edward L Williams,Cambria Wis,approximately 90 Years ago,the 33inch oak frame was fashioned by William Edwards also of Cambria."
It says:- "the hub begins the recorded history of the David E [Buckhill]Williams family and in 1977 graced the home of Nellie Williams who in that year, was aged 86" .
Margaret Edwards 1788-1846 was the Gt Grandmother of Mrs Williams late husband David E Williams.
Mrs Williams and her husband,received the wheel when Mr Williams father Thomas E Williams died in 1942.
Another note on 2nd page says"There is an identical wheel of this family in Wales,though it is not known how or when it got there.Mrs Williams knows that it is in the posession of relatives,though they are relatives she,s never met and wouldn,t know"
Thomas David Williams will receive the wheel when the time comes to pass it on,he is the Nellie,s Grandson he is the son of Thomas and Phyllis Williams Cambria,it was his fathers name, Thomas M, that was the last to be entered on the wheel,that was in 1927,.
Its all on two sheets 1xA4 and 1x A3 and the first one A3 has Mrs Williams on it in front of the wheel,the other a write up on many such as Edward L [Tredolphyn]Williams[1827-1903] a leading mathematician in his day,,his son Owen J Williams was the foremost Welsh Poet in America in English Verse while he lived,he wrote the poem in the centre of the wheel.
In memory dreams-I plead in vain
Oh wheel of time,turn back again
And take me home,once more to be
A child upon my mothers knee.

But headless time rolls ever on,
The happy past forever gone,
Beyond the sea my childhood,s home
My Mothers soul beyond the tomb.
Owen J Williams 1897.

Offline skiptr

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 06 March 12 18:46 GMT (UK) »
Michelle,

I've gone through most of the wheel for the American side and I would estimate it is about 99% accurate.  I seem to remember a few instances where a death or birth date was a year off, but all in all it is really impressive. I still wonder how he gathered all the data and how he drew that wheel without White-Out!

Lori
4x g-granddaughter of Mary Jones

Offline dbuss

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 22 August 12 20:40 BST (UK) »
I stumbled across this thread and it is fascinating, but I'm afraid I have more questions than answers. My great, great, grand mother Eliza Roberts (b. 1843, Bangor, Wales) was supposedly a niece or grand niece of the Reverend John Jones of Talysarn, who was born of course in Tan y Castel. In fact my grandmother, Violet Stonebridge (nee Dixon), had a framed "Tan y Castell Lineage" which purported to show the family back to medieval times, but of course it has been lost. All I have been able to find out was that Eliza's father's name was William Roberts (from her marriage certificate).

Family legend says there is also a link to the Australian writer Dora Birtles (nee Toll, b. 1907) through her grandfather, William Pritchard Roberts, who emigrated from Bangor in 1861. Presumably he was related to Eliza though I am not sure how.

None of this actually helps I realise,but if anyone has any information I would be grateful!

Offline aginger

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 23 August 12 08:08 BST (UK) »
dbuss, the lineage you mention which was lost !! if it was not of "The Wheel" then I have a copy of a handwritten lineage,no idea who penned it or in which country..[hard to decipher in places]which the lady Mrs Barrow, then resident in the old house at Tan Y Castell gave me some 20 years ago along with a sheet containing "The Wheel",a photocopied photocopy but if you contact me I will post a copy[in a letter] gratis.
Allen.