Author Topic: Rev. John Jones, Talysarn  (Read 35950 times)

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Rev. John Jones, Talysarn
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday 25 December 13 10:58 GMT (UK) »
Another possible link:-
The 1841 census for Cae Eithin Tew HO 107 1391  5/31  1,has,apart from Grace Jones aged 95,John and Grace Thomas(b.1816) and family.
There is an 1837 marriage at NLW for John Thomas of Trawsfynydd to Grace Williams of Llanfihangel y Pennant.FamilySearch has a baptism for Grace Williams at L-y-P in 1816 to Evan and Mary Williams.

Regards
Roger

Offline llynboy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Wednesday 25 December 13 17:57 GMT (UK) »
Yes that's right. There is also a Griffith Williams aged 20 at Efail Uchaf Penmorfa with Evan and Mary Williams in 1841; there is a baptism at Llanfihangel y Pennant for Griffith to Evan and Mary Williams in 1818. There is also a baptism for William to Evan and Mary Williams in 1834 in Llanfihangel y Pennant - which is quite a bit after the others but still possible.

regards

David

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Wednesday 25 December 13 23:56 GMT (UK) »
Still haven't found a satisfactory baptism for Richard Edwards.If he was baptised Llanarmon it may not be available online-this IGI summary shows the possible limitations(not on FindMyPast either).

http://www.archersoftware.co.uk/igi/fs-cae.htm#L

Regards
Roger

Offline llynboy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Thursday 26 December 13 06:34 GMT (UK) »
I don't think Richard Edwards was baptised at Llanarmon; there is a transcribed copy of the marriage register on
http://www.yffor.com/parish/llanarmon/llanarmonpriodi1813.html

which shows that he was living at Llanllyfni at the time of his marriage to Jane Williams at Llanarmon in 1824. One of the witnesses was Thomas Edwards who could well be Thomas Edwards of Taldrwst, Llanllyfni. The Llanbeblig Parish Registers are available on

http://www.findmypast.co.uk/search/parish-records/baptisms?tab=1

and he was not baptised at Llanbeblig Church. There does not seem to be a record of a baptism for him in Caernarfonshire or Meirionethshire on either
http://www.thegenealogist.co.uk/
or
http://search.ancestry.co.uk/search/db.aspx?dbid=2972
which makes me worry that if Richard was baptised at a non-conformist chapel the record may not have survived. However he may have been baptised in Ffestiniog Parish Church and they are available in Gwynedd Archives in Dolgellau
http://www.gwynedd.gov.uk/DATRhagorolNET/RhestrEitem.aspx?iaith=en&rhif_archif=13&rhif_rhiant=52171&maint_testun=100&cyferbyniad=
So I think I'll take a trip to Dolgellau in the New Year to have a look for Richard.

regards

David

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Thursday 26 December 13 23:54 GMT (UK) »
This has promise:-
I looked at the Llanarmon marriage record and saw Elizabeth Williams as a witness.I looked to see if I could find a sister,rather than a mother,and found a marriage for an Elizabeth Williams to a William Jones in Llanarmon in 1829.I then found this couple on the 1851 census(HO 107  2513  201  8)
Elizabeth's mother Laura(Lowry) is there and this helped finding the earlier family with William Williams at Rhos Gill Fawr Llanarmon.(HO 107  1391  4/18  6)..There is considerable detail in his will of 1847.Amongst many others he nominates his son Evan Williams of Llys Padrig,Abererch,(but there is an Owen Williams in the 1841 census at that address,though no obvious baptism for him-,but see below)He also nominates two grandsons John and Robert Edwards,but they may be at a different address than expected.There isn't an obvious baptism for a Jane to this couple,but perhaps Lowry is a second wife(?).I can see a baptism to a William and Jane in 1803-I will pursue that line tomorrow.

Regards
Roger

Offline llynboy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Friday 27 December 13 10:24 GMT (UK) »
I feel a bit embarrassed. William Williams of Rhosgill Fawr is my great, great, great, great, great uncle, brother of my great*4 grandmother of Jonet Williams; they are both children of William and Margaret Griffith of Punt y Gwair Llanengan. John Williams of Ty Hir a son of William Williams of Rhosgill compiled the inventory for the estate Richard Edwards of Brynrhydd too. I even looked at the will of William Williams a couple of days ago and missed Evan Williams at Llys Patrick!
If this all hangs correctly Evan Williams then married Mary Jones of Cae'r Eithin Tew, Llanfihangel-y-p and baptised 4 children at Llanfihangel-y-p and was at Efail Uchaf Penmorfa by 1841, then moved to Llys Patrick by the time William Williams of Rhosgill wrote his will and moved again which allowed his sister Jane and second husband Robert Griffith to move to Llys Patrick from Brynrhydd?

Going back to William Williams of Rhosgill, Lowry was his first and only wife. She died at Cwm Llanaelhaearn on 12/04/1853 and is buried in Llanarmon. Cwm Llanaelhaearn was the home of daughter Elizabeth and her husband William Jones who married in 1829 at Llanarmon.
I know that William Williams and Lowry spent some time in Llannor parish before moving to Llanarmon. They baptised Anne at Llanengan in 1758 and their abode was Punt y Gwair in the register. John Williams (of Ty Hir Llanarmon) was baptised in Llannor in 1793 and I've found a baptism for Evan at Llannor in 1788 with Hendre Uchaf as an abode for his parents William and Lowry Williams. William Williams who was at Tyddyn Madryn Coch Llanystumdwy was baptised in Llannor in 1782. There is a match for Evan Williams born 1788 in Llannor in as a publican at Fourcrosses with a young wife Mary aged 39 from Llanddeiniolen and a granddaughter Mary Williams aged 15 from Liverpool. I may have found a burial for Mary first wife of Evan Williams, on y ffor.com there is a burial for a Mary Williams of Rhoshill aged 53 on 27/11/1845 and Evan Williams of Pontrhychdwr (late Rhosgyll) aged 92 on 28/02/1879. It's a good fit age-wise but whether I've got the right ones I'm not sure.
This leaves Elizabeth born ca 1800, Ellen born ca 1800 (going off the 1841 census so + or - 5 years) and Jane born ca 1803 which need to be found. My gut feeling is they were born in Llanarmon.
The Penrhyndeudraeth address for grandson Robert and John Edwards in the will of William Williams Rhosgill is surprising but still possible. It looks like William Williams Rhosgill skipped over Jane and on to his grandsons Robert and John Edwards; he may not have been too happy that she married Robert Griffith.
If this does hang together then Rachel Paynter - 'Rahel o Fon' is my 1st cousin 7 times removed. That wasn't the reason why I was researching her but that's an amazing find if correct.

thank you once again and regards

David

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Friday 27 December 13 10:59 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the comprehensive background.it's a lot to take in.I will have a further look this afternoon/evening.I'm still a litttle uncertain over some aspects.It must be me,but I'm having some difficulty with returning to FamilySearch records I thought I'd found previousy!

Regards
Roger

Offline llynboy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Friday 27 December 13 11:23 GMT (UK) »
Sorry for bombarding you, but I got a bit carried away when I realized the link to William Williams of Rhosgill. By the way Anne his daughter born Llanengan in 1778 was buried in Llanarmon in 1819; there is a surviving gravestone for her too.

regards

David

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Saturday 28 December 13 01:13 GMT (UK) »
I haven't found anything significant(or that you probably don't know already) based on your last post.Ellen Williams has a will of 1856 when she is residing at Cwm,Llanaelhaearn in which she nominates a sister Margaret.I can't find an equivalent burial record that would pin down her birth more accurately.It is possible she is with this sister at Cae Du Llangybi in 1851(HO 107 2513  169 13)wher she is given as born 1798,Llanarmon.Her sister Margaret is given as born 1780 Llanor(sic) and there is a baptismal record for a Margaret 1779 to William and Lowry,abode looks like Goetre(f)?

Regards
Roger