Author Topic: Rev. John Jones, Talysarn  (Read 35923 times)

Offline dbuss

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Rev. John Jones, Talysarn
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 25 August 12 15:53 BST (UK) »
Allen, this is very kind of you! Unfortunately I live in Brazil so I hesitate to ask you to send anything. Is there some info available on the net?
Thanks again!
Dave

Offline soozer

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 27 August 12 01:11 BST (UK) »
I am a descendant of John Jones Tanycastell through his son Richard Jones, then John R Jones, then Hugh Elias Jones, then Hannah Elthel Jones (Cribbs) who was my grandmother.  I have copy of the family wheel dating from John Jones Tanycastell that my grandfather traced in 1962 along with 10 pages of written information realating to the wheel which was written by RE Jones of Wabasha MN in 1937. He had the lineage chart back to Hodd Molwynog but I don't know how to find his descendents to get a copy.   I will be in Wales in the Dolwyddelen area the first week in September and would be interested in meeting any relatives who may still live in the area.

Offline sarah watkins

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 15 May 13 21:14 BST (UK) »
John Jones Talysarn was my great great grandfather - my great grandfather was his oldest son John Lloyd Jones. A group from the USA descended from his sister Mary have just visited Tanycastell and I met with them there. I have copies of the family wheel and of other family trees. So I was fascinated to read this forum and see others connected. A PhD student at Cardiff University has been studying both John Jones Talysarn and his wife Fanny

Offline Tonemaster

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 16 May 13 01:00 BST (UK) »

John Jones, Talysarn was my great-great-great-great-great uncle.  His sister, Mary, was my great-great-great-great grandmother.  She and 5 of JJ's siblings left Dolwyddelan in 1845 and came to Wisconsin.  Two weeks ago, ten of my family members (including me) spent the week in Dolwyddelan at Tan-y-castell, as posted by Sarah.  I also have a digital copy of the wheel I scanned in.  It's a decent copy, but the best one I've seen is in Dolwyddelan.  Soozer posted that she has notes from R.E. Jones.  He was my great-great uncle, who is still loved and remembered by my surviving great-aunt.  I've got lots of his stuff, too.  Feel free to get in touch with me.  I will willingly share any information that I have with any of the other posters here.  Most of my paperwork is after they came to Cambria, Wisconsin.
Tony

Offline llynboy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 18 December 13 16:18 GMT (UK) »
Does anyone know anything about the ancestors of Frances (Fanny) Edwards, wife of John Jones Talysarn? I know her father was Thomas Edwards an overseer at Cloddfa'r Lon and that he lived at Taldrwst Llanllyfni but not much else, apart from that Fanny was born in Ffestiniog Parish according to the censuses. it would also seem that Fanny had a brother Thomas living in America. The reason I am asking is that I am doing some work on the ancestors of Rachel Davies nee Paynter (1845-1915) who was known as Rahel o Fon. She was an eminent preacher on both sides of the Atlantic in the late nineteenth and early twentieth century. An obituary for Rahel o Fon states that she was a member of a family that contained John Jones Talysarn although I cannot see a connection. She was also said to be an aunt of John Vaughan Edwards (1876-1936) a solicitor and chairman of Swansea Munitions Court although I cannot see that either. I sense there must be a connection but a bit more remote than claimed on the obituary. John Vaughan Edwards's grandfather Richard Edwards (1802-1838) was from Llanllyfni when he married Jane Williams at Llanarmon Church, Caernarvonshire in 1824. My suspicion is that Richard Williams was a brother of Fanny Edwards wife of John Jones Talysarn.
So in a round about way that's why I am asking about the ancestors/siblings of Fanny Edwards.

regards

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 22 December 13 22:58 GMT (UK) »
I have made an attempt at Thomas Edwards' family but have not found brothers for Frances as you described.I could,of course,be entirely wrong,but for what it's worth this is what I came up with:-

Thomas Edwards(1773-1841).I believe he was married twice,first to Anne Williams(1780-1816).
I have not found their respective baptisms or marriage,but their children are Frances(Ffestiniog,1805),Elizabeth(Carnarvon,1809),Samuel(Llanllyfni,1813-1814).
With the records being non-conformist,these dates are close to the start of some records and there could be scope for others not recorded(or missed by me?).some databases have interesting variants on names(Family Search has  Phanny Edwards,Thomas Edwarts,Jane Griphith )- see IGI batch number C 103491 at

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~hughwallis/IGIBatchNumbers/CountyCaernarvon.htm#L

I believe his second marriage was to Jane Griffith(1786-1868) in 1817 in Llanfihangel y Pennant.Marriage details at NLW marriage bonds and allegations.Their children are(with Talrwst(sic) references for first and last)-Mary(1819),Edward(1821),Jane(1823),Catherine(1825) and Griffith Thomas(1829-is this the "brother" Thomas?).

Some of the family can be seen in the 1841 census at Bryn Nenan(?),LLandwrog ref.HO 107  1397  2/39  7.
I also think that Catherine(1825,above),may be with Frances at the Talysarn shop(HO 107  1397  2/93  2).
The burial entry for Thomas Edwards is at Rhos Nenan(?),with a side note - "late of Talrwst"
This property appears to be in the possession of an Owen Griffith,son of William Griffith,weaver(1832 will at NLW).His second wife is at Bryn En(g)an until her death in 1868.

Regards
Roger

Offline llynboy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 24 December 13 06:07 GMT (UK) »
Roger

Thank you very much for finding the parents and siblings of Fanny Edwards, wife of John Jones Talysarn. I suppose that Richard Edwards born ca 1802 could still be a brother of Fanny's but I have found an obituary for Dr Richard John Lloyd Edwards 1870-1936 who was a brother of John Vaughan Edwards 1876-1936. This was in the British Medical Journal and it states that Dr Richard John Lloyd Edwards was a direct descendant of Rev. John Jones of Talysarn. So perhaps I should be concentrating on John Jones himself rather than his wife Fanny.
There is a family tree for John Jones Talysarn in T Ceiri Griffith's book "Achau rhai o deuluoedd hen siroedd Caernarfon, Meirionnydd a Threfaldwyn" but the Edwards family is not in it. I do know someone who has a copy of the wheel that is mentioned in other posts on John Jones Talysarn. If there is a direct connection to John Jones then I need to find the parents of Elizabeth born Clynnog ca 1847 died Cardiff 1938. She was the wife of John Edwards born Llanarmon 1836 died Talysarn 1886 both being parents of Dr Richard John Lloyd Edwards and John Vaughan Edwards. How Rachel Davies nee Paynter is an aunt of these two is a bigger mystery, she is not a sister of Elizabeth mother of the two boys. I'm convinced there is a mistake somewhere.

Thank you once again.

regards

David

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 24 December 13 15:48 GMT (UK) »
There looks to be a relationship between John Edwards,husband of Elizabeth,and the family of John Jones,Talysarn.As this pre-dates the marriage perhaps this is worth looking at first.I think he is in the 1861 census described as a cousin of Thomas Jones,(son of John and Frances) at Nantlle House,Clodfaircoed,Llanllyfni ref RG09  4336  79  12.

Regards
Roger

Offline llynboy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 24 December 13 19:27 GMT (UK) »
That's a great find; people were forever mixing up Llanarmon and Llangybi in the censuses and the age is a bit out too (3 years) but it's definitely John Edwards of Brynrhydd, Llanarmon. If you take 'cousin' John Edwards as the correct relationship to the head of house then his father Richard Edwards or his mother Jane Williams is a sibling of either John Jones Talysarn or Fanny Edwards. That is why I went for Richard Edwards being a brother of Fanny. I'm pretty certain that that Jane Williams born Llanarmon in 1803 is not a sister of John Jones Talysarn.
So it might be worth a visit to the Archives at Dolgellau and Caernarfon to see if I can find a baptism for Richard Edwards which is not available on the internet. I think I'll try and find the marriage of Thomas Edwards and Anne Williams too. I think that perhaps Anne Williams may be the key to the relationship to Rachel Paynter - Rachel's maternal grandparents were Evan Williams and his wife Mary who were at Efail Uchaf in Penmorfa in 1841 but vanish after that.

Thank you and a Merry Christmas to you.

regards

David