Author Topic: WADESON - Victoria lookup please  (Read 8145 times)

Offline Aussie1947

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: WADESON - Victoria lookup please
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 03 August 11 08:43 BST (UK) »
Sydney Directory 1863 (Sands)
COUNTRY ATTORNEYS.
Wadeson, Samuel, Bathurst, (Agents in Sydney M. C. Stephen)

Sydney Directory 1865 (Sands)
COUNTRY ATTORNEYS.
Wadeson, Samuel, Bathurst,(Agents, W Hellyer)

Gerry

Offline rosball

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • John Scott Henderson 1853 Scotland -1919 Vic
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 03 August 11 08:58 BST (UK) »
Thanks Gerry.
Apparently Samuel's business went downhill as he was suffering from epilepsy.  And then not long after he died his wife threw herself down a well in grief at his death.  Quite a sad story.

regards,
   Ros
Let's not tolerate bullying !
Herrington Kent  Henderson Scotland Kerr Scotland Reston Scotland  Smith Scotland  Kellow Cornwall  Doney Cornwall  Wadeson Lancashire  Whiteley Yorkshire Gregan Ireland

Offline rosball

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 05 August 11 01:45 BST (UK) »
Well it's all unravelling.   :'(   :'( 

I thought I was certain (yes dangerous) about parents of Edward Wadeson (1824-1889) and Emma Frances Mitchell who married in St James Melbourne in 1849 (both residents of Heldelberg).  No parents names on marriage cert.

On Alison's advice I contacted St James to see if church records had parents names but they replied to say no.  (I also contacted St John's in Heidelberg where other Wadesons were married but no reply yet)

On a previous post you have told me that Edward died in Tatura on 13 Oct 1889 and there was a will but no entry in death index.  So I presume there is no death certificate ...?  Anyway if he had deserted family and was living alone it would probably not be informative.

So I went looking for Emma's death record again and I found she died in Sofala in 1901!  What was she doing in Sofala when she and her children lived all their lives in Victoria? ???

I had previously dismissed this possible death as it had different parents (James and Mary) and age (66 at death in 1901) would make her 14 at marriage.  There is a lovely picture of headstone in online Sofala cemetery - thank you to whoever is responsible! - which says she was 66.

With new search skills (Thanks Judith) I searched for Sofala+Wadeson and found a tribute notice in trove which confirms that it is her.

I'm off to Western Sydney Records Office in the hope of seeing her death certificate and find out more about her parents etc

regards,
   Ros

Herrington Kent  Henderson Scotland Kerr Scotland Reston Scotland  Smith Scotland  Kellow Cornwall  Doney Cornwall  Wadeson Lancashire  Whiteley Yorkshire Gregan Ireland

Offline alison2763

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Gr. Grandfather Harry KEETLEY K.I.A. 1917 France
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 05 August 11 05:24 BST (UK) »
Hi Ros,
Did you get the names of the Witnesses to the marriages ? Quite often they are relatives  ;)
Regards
Alison
Blundell- Sussex - Newcastle
Kiefel- Prussia- South Australia
Fiegert-Prussia- South Australia
Retford/Deptford-Hampshire- NSW
Keetley-Hathern Leicestershire-New Zealand
Other names: Collis, Williams,Courage, Andrew, Ransom, Gore.

Offline rosball

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 05 August 11 07:33 BST (UK) »
Hi Alison,
   I can't make out the witnesses names - Robert someone of Melbourne and Carolyn Thompson? of Heidelberg - it was squashed in at the end.

And I was silly to think Western Sydney Records Office would have death certificate info - I was packed off by a very stern hassled woman - not a helpful welcoming place for beginners.  I will have to wait patiently for the transcription to arrive to find out about my "new" gg grandmother.

regards,
   Ros

Offline rosball

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 31 August 11 11:09 BST (UK) »
The transcript of death record for Frances Emma Wadeson (nee Mitchell) arrived  :) 

She was born in Harrow, England in approx 1833 with parents James Mitchell, coachman, and Mary Farrell.  She was in Victoria for 28 years and NSW for 25 years and was 16 when she married Edward Wadeson in 1849 in Melbourne.

This means she was about 15 when she arrived in Australia around 1848.  Was she a convict and/or did she come with her parents or alone? 
I haven't been able to find her birth or her parents' marriage in UK,  or their arrival in Australia.  And searching for her parents living/dying in Australia -  there seem to be lots of possibilities but no close fits.

Also (from death certificate) there was another daughter (which I didn't know about) = Blanche Wadeson b about 1865 and alive in 1901.  I haven't been able to find her birth in Vic or NSW (or under name Mitchell in case parents had divorced)   

I think this is a brick wall ...?

Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated.

regards,
   Ros

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 31 August 11 15:08 BST (UK) »
Electoral rolls show:

Blanche WADESON
1909 at 3 Cooke St, Abbotsford (Vic), tailoress

1914, 1919 at Rochester Rd, Canterbury, tailoress.

1914 also has the following WADESONs listed in Canterbury
William A WADESON, Canterbury Railway station , asst station manager, at the same address Christina Agnes WADESON (hd)

1919 shows William and Christine (same occupations) at 84 Rochester Rd, Canterbury
1919  William George WADESON at Harrow, Rochester Rd, Balwyn (I cannot read his occupation)

Unsure if this is the same person -
at 86 Rochester Rd Canterbury
Blanche Florence WADESON, sewing
Also at 86 are William A WADESON and Christine Agnes WADESON.
At 84 Rochester Rd Balwyn: willian George WADESON, clerk
At 78 Union Rd, Canterbury: Lavinia Florence WADESON, home duties.

1936, 1942 (no other WADESONs at that address.
Blanche Florence WADESON, Higg's Rd, Drouin, home duties

Judith

DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline rosball

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 31 August 11 23:52 BST (UK) »
Thanks Judith.   The first references seem to be her.  I wonder why I can't find her birth or death.

The entries for Blanche Florence Wadeson were probably her niece, daughter of Francis Edward Wadeson and Elizabeth Rasmussen 1888-1973 and married Wilkinson in 1942.

regards,
   Ros

Offline alison2763

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Gr. Grandfather Harry KEETLEY K.I.A. 1917 France
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Thursday 01 September 11 04:05 BST (UK) »
Hi Ros,
The only Blanche WADESONs on the register:
Blanche Elizabeth WADESON b 1874 Melbourne N - father unknown  Elizabeth WADESON # 10362
Can't find a marriage or death for this one .
and
 Blanche Florence WADESON b 1888 Tatura- Francis Edward WADESON and Elizabeth RASPMAN # 16138
Blanche WILKINSON d 1973 aged 84 Surrey Hills - Francis WADESON and Elizabeth unknown # 16974

William George WADESON d 1941 aged 44 Balwyn- William Alexander WADESON and Christine Agnes DUNLOP # 12789

Regards
Alison
Blundell- Sussex - Newcastle
Kiefel- Prussia- South Australia
Fiegert-Prussia- South Australia
Retford/Deptford-Hampshire- NSW
Keetley-Hathern Leicestershire-New Zealand
Other names: Collis, Williams,Courage, Andrew, Ransom, Gore.