Author Topic: Edward Moore Sailor Wexford 1850s  (Read 5025 times)

Offline Madcap

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Edward Moore Sailor Wexford 1850s
« on: Wednesday 03 August 11 14:29 BST (UK) »
I am looking for birth/baptismal/family information on Edward Moore, born between 1851 and 1862, in Wexford, supposedly near the Hook/Slade. He was a sailor and was son of Edward Moore, also a sailor. He sailed on the Oriental and was captain of a ship called the Madcap. He died in Waterford in 1909. I have searched extensively in Wexford parish records in the national library but haven't been able to find a record of him or any siblings with a father of Edward Moore. Can anyone help? Thanks.

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Edward Moore Sailor Wexford 1850s
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 03 August 11 14:42 BST (UK) »
The RC parish for much of the Hook peninsula is St. James/Templetown and records go back to the 1790s ... maybe he was born in one of the adjoining parishes ?

Are you sure your Moore family were RC ?

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 03 August 11 14:53 BST (UK) »
presume this is your Edward at Michael Street, Waterford in 1901

Moore household

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline Madcap

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 03 August 11 14:58 BST (UK) »
I have checked St James and Templetown and also St James & Hook. He was married in RC church so I was assuming he was RC. I have his marriage cert. In the 1901 census he is in Michael Street in Waterford and was RC.

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 03 August 11 15:01 BST (UK) »
might be worth check Ballycullane Parish also... it includes the area to the north east such as Saltmills, Tintern etc

Shane
My Surname Interests

Offline reynoldhouse

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 18 July 13 09:48 BST (UK) »
Hello
I was very interested to read your post as I am researching my family and Captain Moore was my great great grandfather. I have some information if you are still interested and I am very interest to hear what you know.
Many thanks.

Offline Madcap

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 25 July 13 11:45 BST (UK) »
Hi,
I would be interested in any information you have on Edward Moore or his family.
I found Edward Moore in the UK 1881 census on ships in port in Bristol. So I am also looking for data on his shipmates John Cummins (b 1826), Thomas Kennedy (1841), Walter Power (1855), John Cullen (1860) and Michael Fortune (1861). Also interested in information on Nicholas Moore who was a signatory to the application for the construction of Slade Pier in 1846, Anne Moore of Churchtown, Slade, in Griffiths Valuation and John Moore of Slade, Hook, also in Griffiths valuation, and indeed any Moores in the Slade, Churchtown, Hook area who may be related. There may be a connection to a family called Rossiter in the area also.

Offline joanne doherty

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 15 January 17 23:57 GMT (UK) »

Hi there  my name is Joanne and I live in Australia - i recently discovered a family tree my mother did when she was alive (her family were all from Waterford and Wexford) and it includes my great uncle Edward Moore from the Hook.  I have a bit of information so let me know if you would like it.  kind regards, Jo.

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 16 January 17 01:23 GMT (UK) »
There are ships records for a ship called the Madcap with an Edward Moore from Wexford.
http://census.nationalarchives.ie/search/cl/home.jsp