Author Topic: M.I.Henry Gordon or Gordon-Glassford, New Kilpatrick  (Read 10124 times)

Offline JONTYA1

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
M.I.Henry Gordon or Gordon-Glassford, New Kilpatrick
« on: Wednesday 03 August 11 15:03 BST (UK) »
Hi
On Henry Gordon or Henry Gordon-Glassford's death certificate, dated 2 Feb 1860, it states he was "buried in the family vault in the churchyard of New Kilpatrick as certified by the Undertaker"

After his marriage in 1831 to Clementina Napier he seems to have added his mother surname of Glassford to the end of his name, I have found him in records with the surname Gordon as well as Gordon-Glassford

Could someone with access to the Monumental Inscriptions  for New Kilpatrick,  do a look up for me please.
Thanyou
cjay 
Findlay- Barr- Youngman- Sleight- Stothard- Gregg,-Wilson- Cochran, Cameron- Dykes- Fairservice- Riddel- Hamilton- Gibson- Leggate- Lusk- Marshall- McCrae- Millar- Moore- Morton- Naismith- Ramage- Richmond- Shields- Smith,- Veitch

Offline TGGB

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: M.I.Henry Gordon or Gordon-Glassford, New Kilpatrick
« Reply #1 on: Friday 05 August 11 04:00 BST (UK) »
Hi
My Grand mother was a Gordon-Glassford. Henry was my GGG Grand father.

This is from a book on the GGs by Gordon Leask

"Henry Gordon (Later Henry Glassford) (1786-1860)
Henry Gordon was a son (probably the fourth, but second surviving) of James Gordon and Jean (Jane) Glassford. Little is recorded about him until he married Clementina Napier in Linlithgow on the 6th August 1831. In the Linlithgow parish register, where the marriage is recorded, Henry is described as Henry Gordon of the parish of Kirkintilloch.
Henry and Clementina had the following family:
James Glassford b. 8th December 1832
Henry Glassford b. 30th August 1834
Clementina b. 8th April 1836
Alexander Napier b. 7th February 1839
Jane b. 1844
Clement Hay Napier b. 23rd April 1847.
In January 1847 when his older brother James died, Henry inherited the Tailzie and henceforth became Henry Glassford of Dougalston. He did not use the double surname, but his family became known as the Gordon Glassfords and with the exception of Alexander Napier, the sons were so named when they enrolled at Edinburgh Academy
The records indicate that Henry changed his address quite often. In 1847 it was Castle Street, by 1851 it was 11 Ann Street, and by 1860 it was 3 Henderson Row. Henry and his family also lived in “Craigmaddie” which was one of the smaller modern houses on the Dougalston estate. This was probably in the early 1840’s. Henry was living at Craigmaddie in 1841 when the census was taken, and was still there when Clement was born 23 April 1847. No record has been found which shows him living in the Dougalston House, which was in a poor state of repair, but the 1851 and 1861 census returns shows that a gamekeeper and his family were living there.
Henry died at 3 Henderson Row on 2nd February 1860 after being bed ridden and almost blind for two years, he is buried in the church yard at New Kilpatrick in a vault with the words “The Glassford Burying Ground” and the Glassford coat of arms on it.
His widow, Clementina, was married again on 6th August 1861 to the Rev. Dr Andrew Bell, a long time friend of the family and the minister who baptised her children. Clementina died on 1st November 1865. Andrew Bell was also a Dougalston trustee.
On Henry’s death, Dougalston, with the relevant tailzie, passed to his eldest son James Glassford Gordon Glassford."

If I remember rightly there is also a photo of the vault inscription in the book before it was demolished. What info are you after

Offline JONTYA1

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
COMPLETED Re: M.I.Henry Gordon or Gordon-Glassford, New Kilpatrick
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 14 August 11 15:00 BST (UK) »
Hi
Thankyou for the wonderful information on the family, it was a lot more than I expected. enough to keep me going for quite a while
cjay
Findlay- Barr- Youngman- Sleight- Stothard- Gregg,-Wilson- Cochran, Cameron- Dykes- Fairservice- Riddel- Hamilton- Gibson- Leggate- Lusk- Marshall- McCrae- Millar- Moore- Morton- Naismith- Ramage- Richmond- Shields- Smith,- Veitch

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 08 December 11 13:23 GMT (UK) »
TGGB

Do you know anything about the family of Alexander Napier Gordon-Glassford b 1839? I believe that his wife was Catherine Alice Cleland, who was distantly related to me on my mother's side. I can't find a marriage, but various web sites suggest that their family were born in New Zealand.

I also have Mabel Gordon-Glassford, daughter of James Glassford Gordon-Glassford and Margaret Bain, born in New Zealand in 1867 and married in 1894 to a distant cousin on my father's side, David Guthrie Shiell. I hav efailed to find her death.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline MichaelStanleyMoss

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 12 January 12 10:34 GMT (UK) »
With a colleague at the University of Glasgow Scotland, I am researching the Dougalston estate, particularly the designed landscape.  I wonder if any members of the Glassford Gordon family have photographs of the house and garden or they appaer in the book referred to below.  I would also like to make contact with the family so as to get permission to look at James Glassford's account with Coutts Bank.

best wishes

Michael Moss

Offline TGGB

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 27 January 12 10:51 GMT (UK) »
FORFIAN
The below information should help. I am descended from Napier’s brother James. I am also in contact with  someone who is descended from Napier and works in Salt Lake City. I have a copy of the marriage cert. You probably could not find it as it was in 1865 Kensington district Middlesex England and he was known as Napier.
Catherine Mabel Gordon Glassford wife of David Guthrie Sheill died 16 Feb 1941 Edinburgh

BIOGRAPHY FROM THE GORDON GLASSORDS:
Alexander Napier Gordon Glassford (1839-1875)
Alexander Napier (Napier) who  was the third son and the fourth child of Henry Gordon and Clementina Napier was born in his grandfather Alexander Napier’s home in Linlithgow on 7th February 1839. He was baptised Alexander Napier on 11th March 1939 but later dropped the “Alexander.” As a boy he was no doubt known as Napier Gordon, but his surname changed to Gordon Glassford when his father became Henry Glassford of Dougalston in January 1847.
That same year Napier and his two eldest brothers James and Henry, were enrolled at the Edinburgh Academy. Strange to relate, James and Henry were enrolled as ‘Gordon Glassford but Napier as “Glassford.” He was at the Academy for six years and he is the only Gordon Glassford educated there who did not play cricket for the First XI. Instead he excelled in the study of Hebrew, Greek and Latin, winning several prizes for these subjects. It seems incongruous, but in 1853 after leaving the Academy, he was apprenticed for two years in practical engineering.
Napier was the first of the three brothers to get married, this occurring on 4th September 1865 in London when he took for his wife Katherine Alice Cleland. The following year he was again involved with a family wedding when he was one of the witnesses (both male) who signed JGGG’s marriage certificate. On that occasion he gave his occupation as “Writer.”
He lived for a time in Hastings (U.K.) and later in London. On 28th October 1865 his first child, Georgina Alice was born and not long after that event Napier and Alice decided to emigrate to New Zealand where JGGG and Harry were living. The family were actually on the ship when news of Clement’s serious illness caused Napier to make a hurried trip to Scotland to see his brother before he died. Napier then managed to get back to London to rejoin his ship. On the way to New Zealand tragedy struck, as the baby died and was buried at sea.
In May or June 1866 Napier and Alice disembarked at Dunedin when JGGG AND / OR Harry had arranged employment for him with the Bank of New South Wales. The couples second child Napier Alexander was born on 30th October 1867 but fate was again unkind as the baby died eleven days later and was buried at Dunedin. It would almost be impossible to imagine the anguish of the parents when on 20th January 1870 their next child, a daughter, was a stillborn.
Napier was transferred to Christchurch and it is probable, but not certain, that the next child, Nina Gilchrist, who was born on 17th January 1871, was born there. Napier was an accountant at the Bank of New South Wales and later became the secretary to the Inspector. At one stage he was secretary of the Avon Rowing Club and at another time was Chairman of the club committee.
The next child born to Napier and Alice was Clementina Napier who was born in Christchurch on 8th December 1872. Their last child Marie Stuart was born in Christchurch in September 1874 and she was the one of Napier’s children to reach life expectancy, living until she was a week short of 81.
On 3rd June 1875 Napier and two friends, Dr Nedwell and Mr Reginald Foster, had been out for a day’s rabbit shooting. As they were returning home in a buggy the horse shied and then bolted. Napier was thrown out and suffered a fracture skull. Dying shortly afterwards. He is buried in the old Anglican cemetery in Barbados Street, Christchurch. In 1882 his name was engraved on the headstone of the Glassford family vault in New Kilpatrick. Scotland.
Towards the end of 1876 his widow, Alice, took her three daughters back to Scotland for a trip. They left London on the return trip on 20th March 1877 as passengers on the ship Wanganui. The cost of their ticket for Alice and the three girls was £100, plus another £3 for their dog.

Alice died of TB in Christchurch ON 16th September 1884 at the age of 42, although her name is engraved on Napier’s headstone in the Barbados street cemetery, she is in fact, buried in the Addington Cemetery in Selwyn Street.
Sometime around 1892 Nina went to Scotland where she trained and then worked as a nurse until she met and marries Sgt. William Webb of the Black Watch regiment. The wedding service which was conducted by the Rev. A. Robertson, took place in Edinburgh Castle in 1896. Unfortunately Nina contracted TB and, as in those days it was an almost incurable disease, died at Aldershot, England (where the regiment was then stationed) on 15th June 1899.
Clementina who had gone to Scotland around 1896 stayed there a few years before returning to Christchurch. She also had a short life as she died of TB on 10th July 1902 aged 29. She is buried in the Selwyn Street Cemetery, Christchurch.
Marie who had married Hugh Mcfedries in Christchurch on 6th May 1902 was then the only surviving member of Napier’s family. She raised a family of six sons and one daughter. Marie died in Christchurch 17th September 1955.
TGGB

Offline TGGB

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re:Napier Gordon Glassford
« Reply #6 on: Friday 27 January 12 23:21 GMT (UK) »
Forfarian

(JONTYA1 - sorry this is my third post so hopefully will open up my own messaging)

from PapersPast NZ
LOCAL AND GENERAL.
Star , Issue 2251, 4 June 1875, Page 3
Fatal Accident. — An accident which resulted in tho death of Mr N. G. Glassford, of the Bank of New South Wales, occurred in Oxford Terrace last night. Mr Glassford, with Dr Nedwill and Mr Reginald Foster, had been out rabbit shooting in the afternoon, and returned to town about 7 o'clock in a pairhorse buggy driven by Mr Foster. The party proceeded to the residence of Dr Nedwill, in Oxford Terrace, where Dr Nedwill and Mr Foster alighted. Mr Glassford then started to drive the buggy back to Millet, and Saunders' stables, where it had been hired, with the object of getting one of tbe men to drive him home, and return with the buggy. Mr Cassidy, coach driver on the West Coast road, saw Mr Glassford driving along Oxford Terrace, near Worcester street, where the horses seemed to shy, and inorease their pace, one of them cantering. Mr Glassford at this time appeared to have hold of the reins too far back and thus had little or no command ' over his horses. Shortly afterwards Mr Clark, aerated-water manufacturer, and Mr Dearsley, basketmaker, who reside at the corner, on the terrace, near Gloucester street, heard horses galloping and a fall on the roadway, and at once ran out to see what it was. After looking about for a momnt thoy found Mr Glassford lying on his back in tho roadway, quite insensible. Having obtained assistance they conveyed him to tho Clarendon Hotel, were it was found that the back of his head was completely shattered. Dr Symes, who had in the meantime been sent for, was early in attendance, but his services were of no avail. Mr Glassford lingered for a short time with, out showing auy signs of consciousness and then expired. The horse had in the meantime made for Millett and Saunders' stable, where they arrived, at a smart pace, and, running against the building, broke the pole of the buggy, but were secured before furthor damage could be done. It is presumed that Mr Glassford was jerked from his seat, and fell backwards on to his head, where he was subsequently found. He leaves a wife and three or four young children, and was highly respected by a large circle of friends, more especially in aquatie circles. He had for many years been a prominent supporter of boating in Christchurch, and at the time of his death was Commodore of the Union Rowing Club. He acted as coach to the Christchurch crew which won the Interprovincial Race at Wellington, and was ever willing to givo his assistance in anything connected with aquatic amusements. He was also a very prominent and active member of the Poultry Association.
TGGB

Offline MichaelStanleyMoss

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 31 January 12 21:24 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks for all this most helpful information.

Michael Moss

Offline rainbow_beanie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 23 April 15 05:58 BST (UK) »
Hello,

my ancestor Martha Berntine Johnson Boe born 1845 married Henry (Harry) Gordon-Glassford on 3/5/1865. They became the owner managers of Mewburn Park in Maffra, Victoria, Australia in1875, which was previously owned by her father John Johnson Boe.

There is quite a lot written about the Gordon Glassfords in a book called," Beneath Blue Hills" A History of Mewburn Park, Tinamba and Riverslea. by Wal Vardy, Kapana Press, Bairnsdale, 1994 ISBN 0 947071 17 2

Henry's sister, Jane Gordon Glassford (born 1844) married Martha Berntine's brother, William Johnson Boe in Sale, Victoria Australia in 1872. Martha died in Sydney in 1905, whereas William is recorded as living in Melbourne at this time so I was wondering if they separated. Her death is listed in the paper as Mrs Johnson Boe, so if they were separated, she did not remarry. The death notice is submitted by Jane's daughter, Mrs Edward S Gordon. I subsequently found a marriage record for Violet Helen Johnson Boe to Edward Shaw Gordon. So they had at least this one child.

Any other information on either of these couples; Martha Berntine Johnson Boe and Henry Gordon Glassford or Jane Gordon Glassford and William Johnson Boe, would be greatly appreciated.

Kind regards, Dianne Backwell